Author Topic: 'Bucket List' Rides  (Read 4162 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
'Bucket List' Rides
« on: 14 May, 2011, 11:59:32 pm »
Following Andy's unfolding LeJoG and inspired by Gordy's French Odyssey I am prompted to consider 'Rides to do before you cark it' or the so-called Bucket List.

1. LeJoG, natch. That's a given.
2. A week's cycling en France. Possibly an odyssey a la Gordy from point to point but more likely a series of day rides.
3. Manchester to London without using a major road but a truly arterial route.

That's me, for now. What's on your list?

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: 'Bucket List' Rides
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2011, 12:12:08 am »
Everyone should put my 'Best 100km in the country' on their list.
It is simpler than it looks.

gordon taylor

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2011, 07:49:33 am »
My own to do list includes "every road" in the Western Isles.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2011, 07:57:14 am »
My current 'to do' list is:

• The Dalton Highway in Alaska (Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay) - tentatively chalked in for next year now that I have a bike that'll handle it ;)
  • The Dempster Highway in Canada (Dawson City to Inuvik, and back again)
  • Route 1 in Iceland
  • Perth to Adelaide via Alice Springs (chalked in for 2014 - the desert odyssey)

On a slightly less hardcore level, I'm long overdue for returns to Scotland and France, and the usual End-To-End/Side-To-Side adventures are a given. The off-road version of the C2C is firmly in my sights.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2011, 07:59:30 am »

This would certainly be on my list. It would be nice if they could turn down the wind next time I go though!

Arctic highway in Norway

London to Istanbul
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2011, 09:51:09 am »
There have been a few people who are planning Durness - Dover (or the reverse) which somehow strikes me as being more "hard core" than LEJOG. It's something to do with the vast distances between stations for bail-out once you strike out for the West Coast after Inverness. Hundreds of miles before you reach Thurso.

With LEJOG, provided you choose a fairly straightforward route, you are never very far from a station.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2011, 10:28:22 am »
There have been a few people who are planning Durness - Dover (or the reverse) which somehow strikes me as being more "hard core" than LEJOG. It's something to do with the vast distances between stations for bail-out once you strike out for the West Coast after Inverness. Hundreds of miles before you reach Thurso.

With LEJOG, provided you choose a fairly straightforward route, you are never very far from a station.
Just take a tent.  If things go wrong, pitch up and stay there. That's sort of my plan, anyway.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2011, 10:31:40 am »

Just take a tent.  If things go wrong, pitch up and stay there. That's sort of my plan, anyway.

Yes, but you're 'ard as nails and not a wimp like me.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2011, 10:33:36 am »
I'd like to ride round the Cape and Chapmans Peak

Also it would be fun to ride Cape Town to Matjiesfontein. Or further.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2011, 10:36:28 am »
The Cols challenge in France.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2011, 10:41:35 am »

What's to fear? Sheep, a few eagles, red deer and the odd mad shepherd wandering the hills.

« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2011, 02:16:04 pm »
I was originally planning to do a LEJOG but my trike makes it a bit awkward to carry on public transport.  So, this has evolved into a circular ride.  I'll leave wherever I'm living and work a big circle round the country; not necessarily on the coast but just where the fancy takes me.  I'll go and visit friends and relations.  Do some sight-seeing, etc.  A few 'must-dos' include the islands of Gigha (my mother's ashes are scattered there) and Islay (cos you just can't get enough of their whisky!!!!!!)   :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2011, 02:35:17 pm »
I was offered going off on a long ride for my birthday recently. In the end I opted for a new bike as there wasn't one stand out ride, but lots of smaller things to do over time. Of these, the following stand out just now as tours:

Take a train to Corrour and do a scottish tour, heading north and/or east.

The "Wessex Way" - off road Weston to Eastbourne, effectively extending the south downs way.

A south coast end to end - Lands End to Broadstairs, taking in the southernmost rideable point in each county along the way. Not just the coast road though.

« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2011, 02:49:17 pm »
Certainly nothing in the UK I can think of.  The "really adventurous" places are not for me either because I am just too chicken so I stay to western civilised areas.

Longest I've spent away so far is almost a month, which was 1500 miles W to E and back across France.  When I lived in USA I rode around Hawaii Big Island, which I suspect is unusual for a European.  I've toured lots of places on the European mainland including the mountain ranges and tend to simply go with no big plan.  I've also ridden in New Zealand but that is pretty common.

As I've said - no idea of "rides I must do", I'd just go and see what turns up.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2011, 03:14:15 pm »

What's to fear? Sheep, a few eagles, red deer and the odd mad shepherd wandering the hills.

My own company.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2011, 03:43:32 pm »
I still need to do the A4 ride (Avonmouth to Holborn Circus). 

Also, have another crack at Pork Hill into Tavistock to see how close I can get to 70mph.  Allegedly a St Budeaux CC rider managed 72; I got to 56 very soon after the summit but then caught a car  >:(  It's unusually good because it's very long and well-surfaced, with no risk of sheep after the cattle grid.  Coming off Killhope Summit towards Nenthead is steeper but the surface is awful and there's no runout at the end.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #16 on: 15 May, 2011, 03:45:56 pm »

I haven't done that yet!

« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2011, 03:50:06 pm »
Did LeJog last year , Fantastic

In july will be doing the Southdowns way

next year the C2C

would love to cycle around Ireland  :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #18 on: 15 May, 2011, 04:03:08 pm »

Well.........in fact it's not quite that bad.  If you're heading out to the west coast from Inverness, Ullapool is probably the furthest away from a railway station, as Lairg is 65 miles.  Durness to Lairg Station is about 57 miles away, routing down the west side along the A838/A836.  And then after Durness, if you're tracking along the top, Forsinard Station is nearer, until you get closer to Thurso.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #19 on: 15 May, 2011, 04:14:46 pm »
Garve station is closer to Ullapool than Lairg (and it's only 56m to Inverness) and it's on the bus route for the Stornoway ferry

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 15 May, 2011, 04:16:31 pm »
Also, have another crack at Pork Hill into Tavistock to see how close I can get to 70mph.  Allegedly a St Budeaux CC rider managed 72; I got to 56 very soon after the summit but then caught a car  >:(  It's unusually good because it's very long and well-surfaced, with no risk of sheep after the cattle grid. 

*takes notes*

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #21 on: 15 May, 2011, 04:18:23 pm »
LEJOG's always been on a to do list

Another is Ardnamurchan to Cape Wrath

But the big one for me would be to link the Tom Simpson Memorials with a ride from Haworth to the Ventoux

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #22 on: 15 May, 2011, 04:33:52 pm »
LEJoG: Tick. (2001, onna Windcheetah)

Next one (eventually) will be to visit all the IECCs: Ashford, Upminster, Liverpool Street, Marylebone, Slough, Didcot, Swindon, Sandhills, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Yoker.  I'd better get a wiggle on, before new ones get added to the list - Cambridge is on the cards.

Some more night rides.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip