Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3886453 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24325 on: 18 February, 2021, 07:36:34 pm »
Yes, a 54 miles circular around where I live. Windy and wet moving to sunshine after lunch.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #24326 on: 18 February, 2021, 09:49:46 pm »
Twenty three miles on my old Cannondale Synapse hack road bike which as of today is down to single speed. Roll on some better weather and longer days, a spot of maintenance required, or perhaps something more dramatic.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #24327 on: 18 February, 2021, 11:34:25 pm »
Some utility cycling and a Campsies loop to take me over 80km for the first time this year.  Felt fine though not sure I could do it easily in 1 go. The roads are really shocking after that cold spell.

« Reply #24328 on: 20 February, 2021, 03:08:04 pm »
After my recent troubles with my ears affecting my balance https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=118147.0 I managed to make it out today at last.
Left early to try and get the driest weather and had no plans other than to try and ride up and down the main road. I went out with the dual sided pedals that i bought from Paul H on here and the new flat SPD shoes.

I made no attempt to clip the left foot in at all and just cycled with the right one clipped in, strange feeling but it felt ok if a little slippy at times.
Glad to report that i made it up all inclines without any issues and I was reasonably pleased at how it was going so decided to try and stay out for as long as the weather held. Surprised at the temps too, i went out with the 3/4 bibs, Base layer, jersey and Gilet combo and found myself to be overheating at times.

One slightly worrying issue is a high heart rate which has been a feature of any indoor or outdoor ride I've recently done !

76Km's all in and my longest run for a good while, the last 10k was a hard slog though as I was tiring and the rain had started. I also noticed the local roads have taken a beating over the winter months here and my bike was covered in a brown sludge which took ages to wash off but was just so glad to be out on a bike again.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/62803339
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #24329 on: 20 February, 2021, 03:25:18 pm »
Three hour loop in the lovely warm sun.

« Reply #24330 on: 20 February, 2021, 07:21:05 pm »
My back is still not quite right but I was  comfortable enough on the trice to manage 31 miles out to maidenhead Riverside, Cookham, Burnham beechs, Black Park and home. So nice to get out on warmish day. I just hope that my back behaves itself so I can go and play again  :)
the slower you go the more you see

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #24331 on: 20 February, 2021, 08:52:36 pm »
Short 20km a few hours after my jab this morning.

« Reply #24332 on: 21 February, 2021, 12:01:57 pm »
Bugger. Newbie error, overlapped wheels with Mrs h on a slight uphill in Oxshott. Came down heavily on my left chest (huh ?)  Now very sore indeed and unable to do much. Bruised ribs, bugger.

Came down on my left side, and wrenched the right shifter round 90 degrees. No damage to the bike whatsoever and after a quick re-alignment all worked perfectly.

Ouch.
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24333 on: 21 February, 2021, 03:46:19 pm »
@hatler GWS. Glad it was no worse.

---o0o---

Meanwhile, I took my recently-buggered left knee for a 35k trot with a couple of potentially narsty climbs. It seemed to withstand the strain, albeit with a somewhat used feeling towards the end.

Met El Prez on our local cycling track when I was heading home.

El Prez: You've got a ladybird on your shoulder.

Me: you've got three metres of spiderweb trailing you.

Beautiful day, temperature got up to 16°C on the way home.  Well pleased.  Will be even more pleased if knee isn't like a football tomorrow.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #24334 on: 21 February, 2021, 04:15:59 pm »
First rider (indoor or out) for 2 weeks. A pleasant warmish and mostly calm day. 3/4’s, long sleeved vest and a Gabba, mits, shoes with toe covers. Plenty warm enough, and I managed around 23 miles (new-to-me Garmin and I got it stuck on laps   ::-)). First outing this year for the Domane, amazing how much quicker (FCVO quick) it is than the Genesis steely. Roads mainly dry.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #24335 on: 21 February, 2021, 04:37:55 pm »
42 miles and the first ride this year on my nice bike. Suspect some lanes are still rather muddy with the recent rain but I went a different route and all was fine.

Saying that some of the roads I haven't been along since autumn and they've gone from a bit pot holey to lunar surface over winter.

The loop round Beachy Head/Birling Gap was nice but I could have done without the several of motorcyclists who came past me close enough that I'd nearly be able to elbow them without taking my hand off the bars. Including one who managed to go past me twice and not learn from the first pass. Luckily at least that road was in good condition so I didn't have to dodge any potholes at the wrong moment.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #24336 on: 23 February, 2021, 03:03:31 pm »
Took advantage of it looking lovely out to go for a lunchtime spin. Didn't realise quite how windy it was though...

On the plus side, that meant a handsome tailwind across the Graveney marshes, which will be well known to veterans of the Whitstable FNRttC, who will also appreciate how much of a benefit this is. Wasn't even pushing that hard but according to Strava I registered a PB on the segment past the Sportsman.  :o
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #24337 on: 27 February, 2021, 11:44:35 am »
52 km around the Fens yesterday by Fuego. Not been out on this bike for several months and knees are telling me so this morning. Still keeping it relatively calm as still in Covid recovery mode, but all seems good; couldn't resist getting into top gear and 52 kph down a slight hill (they're all pretty slight here). Beautiful day to be out, comfy temp when pedalling, cool when sun behind cloud, warm in sunny sheltered spots.

« Reply #24338 on: 27 February, 2021, 12:22:35 pm »
Yesterday, 45k 'lockdown loop' around my local lanes with a nice big hill in the middle climbing up to the appropriately named Quarrington Hill.  Lovely clear, sunny day with mild temperature.  I was on a 1990's 'Aerobikes' recumbent, testing out a couple of adjustments that I made to the brakes and handlebar.  A short walk as well, along a section where the farmer was kindly scattering thorn hedge cuttings all over the road.  Slight stiffness in the legs this morning, although I haven't done many miles I've been out on an upright bike (Thursday); five mile walk (Wednesday); upright bike (Tuesday) so a relatively active week.  Hopefully starting to get fitness back ready for the resumption of Audax events in April.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #24339 on: 27 February, 2021, 06:40:59 pm »
First ride of the year :blush:
A familiar loop just short of 20km, to Glynde and back, with the sun setting over the hill. It improved my mood considerably.

« Reply #24340 on: 27 February, 2021, 07:25:24 pm »
I didn't feel like a long ride, but decided to make the most of the fine, still weather, and ride the Orbea over to Welney.

Only 4 weeks ago, part of this route was under 4 ft of flood water!  :o
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #24341 on: 28 February, 2021, 02:54:14 pm »
By eck was chilly this morning. Well actually I mostly didn't expect it to be as chilly as was. Glad I went for bib tights as nearly went for knee warmers having been in shorts Thursday

Very foggy, needed lights on and didn't start to clear till about 0930. Actually put my disposable gloves from my tool kit on under my gloves.

However it was a nice quiet ride with barely a breath of wind and fastest for ages although a lot of that was down to being on the fast bike instead of the tourer

Just over 50km in all with a dog leg chucked in at the end as was going to be just under. Was glad of a warming brew when I got home though

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24342 on: 28 February, 2021, 04:49:49 pm »
Gosh, I've been out on my bike two days in a row. It must be spring or something. Yesterday was just a bit of shopping, today was hardly epic either; just along the path to Bath and back. However, I can report three things:
Bath has become a ghost town (no shops, no tourists);
the Bristol-Bath Railway Path is seriously, ridiculously rammed – it's become almost one solid mass of people on bikes, on foot, scooters (and one motorbike but that was by the river in Bath), some fast, some extremely slow, lycra, jeans and jumpers, small dogs on extending leads – from end to end in both directions – but amazingly, no clashes, either of temper or bodies;
and my sit bones are seriously unfit!

Also, in Bath I saw a woman taking a parrot for a walk. Blue one with yellow and orange neck.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24343 on: 28 February, 2021, 05:06:13 pm »
I have. Just the 18 miles this afternoon once the fog and frost had lifted and the temp had climbed to around 9. Tempered by a stiff north-easterly breeze, so glad of the bib-knickers, and wished I’d worn my full-fingered gloves (just like I wished Friday afternoon  ::-))
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #24344 on: 28 February, 2021, 06:26:31 pm »
A cold potter to Windsor Costa where the sun came out and it got a little more pleasant . Met bjorn notp and rode passed Dorney on ncn4 and picked up the Thames towpath to maidenhead Riverside and had a coffee at the cafe by the lock. Then we went our separate ways homeward  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24345 on: 28 February, 2021, 07:27:16 pm »
Misty 42km on 'hilda, and a sunny 14km walk with my lovely.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24346 on: 28 February, 2021, 07:33:30 pm »
Also, in Bath I saw a woman taking a parrot for a walk. Blue one with yellow and orange neck.

Yeah, but what did the parrot look like?

« Reply #24347 on: 28 February, 2021, 08:46:22 pm »

Yeah, but what did the parrot look like?

I once pulled up at lights behind another cyclist, wearing a deliveroo style box.  Except it was a semi-covered birdcage with a parrot inside it. 

Out today on a 75km Tak, Bannockburn and Crow loop with my eldest.  He was in danger of getting depressed / bogged down over some uni project, and the bike rides this week have really helped.  It was a lovely spring day here, still a cold wind though, but the woodlands just after Cambusbarron were carpeted with snow drops at times.  Nice dry roads mostly too, great to not have to wash the bikes.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24348 on: 28 February, 2021, 09:01:53 pm »
Just remembered, I also rode over someone's mini-pump today! It was in a jersey pocket of a bloke just in front of me when it fell out for no obvious reason and landed just in front of my wheel. Mini-pump makes mini bump!

I also rode through some cycle-specific mini-traffic lights. Not the normal crap that's adapted from pedestrian crossing signals, where you have to press a button and then peer at a little box down by your handlebar, but real three-colour red, amber, green bike symbols, positioned at a sensible height and seemingly triggered by an infra-red detector. I don't think I've ever seen such things before, so it's really encouraging to see them here. Perhaps, at last, BCC are beginning to design cycle facilities for cyclists (if so, thank you Mr Dudd).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24349 on: 01 March, 2021, 12:33:49 am »
We've got some in Birmingham on the new cycleways.  Like a cycle version of those French repeater traffic lights.  I think the DfT only approved them a couple of years ago.