Author Topic: Backlight at night on Etrex  (Read 4221 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Backlight at night on Etrex
« on: 15 March, 2016, 07:41:30 pm »
Is there a simple and quick way to make the backlight  stay on on an Etrex 20? I can go into Settings > Display > Backlight > Stay on, but I'm wondering if there's another way to do it mid-ride. I don't want to set it to Stay on permanently because I don't want to use up the battery.

Alternatively, what's the best way to make the screen visible at night?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Backlight at night on Etrex
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2016, 07:45:11 pm »
If it's set to 'stay on' can you not frob the backlight via the power button backlight dimmer screen?

Otherwise, head torch and careful choice of eTrex angle.

Also worth noting that when it's auto-routing the backlight comes on automagically before a turn (and then inevitably times out just before you make it).

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2 on: 15 March, 2016, 08:10:38 pm »
Not a direct answer to your question, but I tend to let it go out on its own, and periodically hit the joystick-button-thingy to light it up again temporarily when I want to check the map (approaching a junction or wondering if RAF Lakenheath will ever end etc.).  I have the base brightness level set quite low.  I seem to get pretty good battery life with this M.O. even when I'm pressing the button quite frequently (at least it sometimes feeels frequent to me).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 15 March, 2016, 08:31:53 pm »
I'd thought of that, and I think it would be fine approaching junctions but the problem I anticipate is missing side turnings. Also could be a bit tricky in towns with lots of turns and junctions.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2016, 08:34:12 pm »
If it's set to 'stay on' can you not frob the backlight via the power button backlight dimmer screen?
That might work. Stay on but turn light right down, or off completely, then turn it up at night/as necessary.

Also worth noting that when it's auto-routing the backlight comes on automagically before a turn (and then inevitably times out just before you make it).
I haven't really got the hang of autorouting yet. Right now I'm thinking of audax situations where I'm following the pink line (track).

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 15 March, 2016, 08:34:54 pm »
I tend to leave mine on a low backlight 'always on' at night. It does use more battery but not a shocking amount. Tapping the power button a couple times gets the unit to cycle through different backlight intensities when in this mode so you can turn the light on/off without going back into the setup menus
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #6 on: 15 March, 2016, 08:39:38 pm »
Unless your eyes are much worse than mine you can leave the backlight on minimum with very little impact on battery life.

« Reply #7 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:10:58 pm »
Unless your eyes are much worse than mine you can leave the backlight on minimum with very little impact on battery life.

+1 I find that just a very small amount backlight (about 10% maxm of bar scale, two click of joystick off zero setting) is more than enough at night.

Have you also got it to auto change to night colours and played with colour schemes ?
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2016, 09:35:43 am »
Take spare batteries.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 16 March, 2016, 10:19:10 am »
I hooked mine up to the dynamo. Luvly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #10 on: 16 March, 2016, 12:20:35 pm »
I have back light set to 'on' and then as others have said just toggle it by tapping the power button and then use the slider to set the brightness, either to the far left=off in the day to ~10-20% when dark.  As noted by Ian below, somewhere around the 10% level offers plenty of brightness.  With decent batteries (Eneloops) I've never seen much difference in power consumption and often leave it on during the day as it can help a bit in bright sunshine.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 16 March, 2016, 01:42:49 pm »
Yes, I've got it set to auto-switch between Night and Day modes. I presume it does this by reference to its sunset and sunrise calculator. I haven't tried playing with the colours yet – well, I have a vague memory of doing that, but can't remember what I altered – but I think I'll leave them as they are for the time being, they seem ok.

So 'Stay on' but on zero power seems to be the way to go, toggling as necessary. Thanks all!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 16 March, 2016, 05:20:00 pm »
I keep mine in day mode, because the night mode colours have rubbish contrast.

Phil W

« Reply #13 on: 16 March, 2016, 09:06:27 pm »
Run it off an external power source and it keeps the backlight on.  I run mine off the luxos off the Dynamo and that keeps the back light on all the time. You could always plug in a small power pack via USB if you want the light on at night or a dull day.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 20 March, 2016, 01:07:54 pm »
Worked fine. One push of the joystick equals a 5% change in light power. Light on 5% is too dim to see but on 10% is excellent. Might play around with colour scheme for more contrast though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 20 March, 2016, 01:09:41 pm »
I find that the 5% setting doesn't always work.  I think it's related to battery voltage.  10% or higher is fine.