Author Topic: Quadlock mount glue failure  (Read 457 times)

Quadlock mount glue failure
« on: 02 April, 2024, 05:09:01 pm »
Just thought I'd share my experience with using a quad lock universal mount on an old fairly heavy Ulephone which I use on the handlebars for mapping.  Two months ago I attached the universal mount plate to the back of the Ulephone following the instructions exactly.  The plate uses a 3M glue to attach to the back of the phone. All had seemed well, though I've always had a safety lanyard on the phone.  However with no warning the phone became detached on a ride last week.  Luckily the lanyard saved the phone.  I suppose I should have known this was likely.  A friend's father was a chemist who spent his working life for RAE Farnborough on glues and his view was that glues between flat faces eventually always fail.  I'm looking to find or make a bracket to clamp or grip the phone and to attach the quadlock mount with a locktighted fastener to this bracket.  The Ulephone (Armor 3W) itself works well as a mapping solution having fantastic battery endurance, a good screen and is waterproof and solidly built but is heavier than my iPhone.         

Re: Quadlock mount glue failure
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2024, 09:37:24 am »
I've got one glued to the back of a TPU phone case using shoe repair adhesive, which seems to hold fine.  Phone is a Nokia XR20, so pretty hefty too.

It's glued with that rather than the original 3M stuff because the latter was used on a previous phone and I transferred the mount, in the fashion of a tightarse.

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2024, 11:08:32 pm »
That's basically my next move - I've got a phone case to fit and will glue and stitch the old quad lock adapter to this  -I'll premise the stick holes and I'll add a canvas or leather backing on the inside of the case to stop the thread tearing the case too.

Many thanks

Neil

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2024, 12:56:50 am »
There's a Rule According to Kimâ„¢ that goes: "If you're using adhesives, you're probably doing it wrong."

There should be one about not regretting the use of a lanyard, too.

« Reply #4 on: 04 April, 2024, 02:19:26 pm »
 :)

« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2024, 02:28:06 pm »
My goto for this kind of thing is RAM Mounts. The X grip (preferably with the rubber tether) or the Quick grip just work. A bit bulky for bicycles, but totally reliable in my experience using them in off road vehicles (4 and 2 wheeled), motorbikes, cars, bicycles.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2024, 02:28:09 pm »
How do you go about attaching a lanyard to a phone or phone case? There's an intended spot on a Garmin (at least an Etrex) but not on most phones.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2024, 02:34:15 pm »
The Ulephone (Amor 3), being designed for tough outdoor use etc, has a lanyard attachment point built-in (fortunately for me!)

« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2024, 02:35:25 pm »
.....Armor  3w

« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2024, 02:35:51 pm »
On my current old phone that I use on the handlebars for veloviewer etc., the phone is in one of those "rugged" rubbery plastic covers (an Otter copy). I've threaded a long velcro cable tidy though the back between the fingerprint hole and the camera hole. That then wraps onto the bars. It'd be easy enough to make holes that a piece of nylon string could go through to clip a lanyard to. The cover is snug enough that the phone won't fall out.