Linked Events

• Chiltern 100 (hilly): 01 June, 2008

Author Topic: Chiltern 100 - 1st June  (Read 1710 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Chiltern 100 - 1st June
« on: 11 April, 2008, 08:38:19 pm »
Anyone else doing this?

Seeing as it's on my birthday, I signed up for the 171 km Gran Frondo route.  ::-)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Re: Chiltern 100 - 1st June
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2008, 09:35:33 pm »
Last year I did the Amersham RCC 50 which is on the same day, might do it again this year. What with riding to the start and back and getting lost a couple of times I made it a round 100.

cc93

« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2008, 04:59:34 pm »
Wow that was pretty frantic!

Did the Grand Fondle (my first Sportive) in a respectable time for me, though I probably came last, such is the difference between these rides and Audax, where I usually reckon on finishing in the first third of the field.  ::-)

EDIT - got a Bronze, missing Silver by not a lot (if only I were 7 years older, or female  :))

I am in total awe though of riders who willingly do 170km with no tea or cake - just bananas and a selection of dubious narcotics by the roadside, still keeps the stop time to a minimum! (<20 mins for me)

On the whole I enjoyed it, though I think my Steel Audax steed felt a little out of place (as did it's owner)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2008, 09:50:30 pm »
I got a Bronze as well, although only just - although my bike time was 7 hrs 8 minutes, with the stops, it was 7 hours 29 minutes & 53 seconds - so 7 seconds within the time limit.   8)

Seeing as most riders looked about 20 years younger than me, I'm pleased to have survived it!

Wellard - you were probably sensible to be on steel.  On one of hills before Wendover, the rider behind me suffered a cracked seat tube as he was pushing on the very steepest part.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein