Linked Events

• Bryan Chapman 600: 17 May, 2008

Author Topic: Bryan Chapman roll call  (Read 120852 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman roll call
« Reply #50 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:00:27 pm »
Chepstow is on the line between Gloucester & Newport, so you're probably looking at a couple of changes to get anywhere civilised.

It was one of the places I passed through on the train back to Cardiff from Evesham after our Easter arrow debacle.  That took 3 trains...

There were some excellent varieties of feral children on that particular journey.  ::-)

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #51 on: 22 April, 2008, 08:44:01 am »
There's one change for the quickest route back to London.  On a Sunday the last train is probably ludicrously early, but you might make it if you're a fast type (e.g. unlike me).  Or there's a Travelodge over the bridge that might still have cheap rooms.  Depending on how early you need to be back on the Monday, it might even be cheaper to book the Travelodge & get a cheap advance train ticket for the Monday morning, than get the cheap ticket for the Sunday & risk not making it & having to pay over the odds on the Monday.

Martin

« Reply #52 on: 22 April, 2008, 08:52:06 am »
I got a return to Bristol Parkway for about £20 last year coming back on the Monday; it isn't far from the bridge. You can camp outside the hall night before; and also on Sunday night if you dare but bikes have gone missing from outside.

Spikey

« Reply #53 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:28:38 am »
I will be signing on (2004 route) for my first 600. I will be riding from home so it will be over 400 miles.

Does the BD mean a bag drop, and if so, how does it work?

Martin

« Reply #54 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:42:48 am »
I will be signing on (2004 route) for my first 600. I will be riding from home so it will be over 400 miles.

hadn't noticed but yes if it's shown; Whoever is doing the checkpoint at Kings YH will take whichever bags are left at the start tto the YH and drop them there; you can leave your night gear and spare clothing there while you go to Menai and back and pick up your bag at the finish

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:52:29 am »
The bag drop is one of the elements that made the BC so ridable for me last year.

That and the brilliant controls, real beds and showers, good food and staggering scenery  :)

Of course, some will say that bag drops aren't in the spirit of the thing and that's fine.  Personally, I'm bloody grateful for all the comforts I can get on a ride like this and it doesn't stop me feeling like I've done something amazing.

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #56 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:57:17 am »
...staggering scenery...

Apt description for a fixed ride.

« Reply #57 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:06:11 am »
Of course, some will say that bag drops aren't in the spirit of the thing and that's fine.  Personally, I'm bloody grateful for all the comforts I can get on a ride like this and it doesn't stop me feeling like I've done something amazing.

I'm a waverer on that one.  I didn't use the drop last time, but probably will this time as we're going through a travelling light phase on the tandem.

AC

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:22:11 am »
The bag drop is one of the elements that made the BC so ridable for me last year.

That and the brilliant controls, real beds and showers, good food and staggering scenery  :)

Am I right in thinking we need to bring our own towels (but not sheet sleeping bags!) ?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #59 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:32:13 am »

hadn't noticed but yes if it's shown; Whoever is doing the checkpoint at Kings YH will take whichever bags are left at the start tto the YH and drop them there; you can leave your night gear and spare clothing there while you go to Menai and back and pick up your bag at the finish

dooh; meant you can ride up to Kings in one lot of gear; pick up night gear there, and then change into fresh gear on the way back; the YH breaks the ride up into convenient 200km sections. Of course the other advantage of a BD is that you have to get back to the YH and then the finish to get your stuff;

Charlotte; tell me about these "real beds" at the YH; I was behind a sofa.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #60 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:48:12 am »
Am I right in thinking we need to bring our own towels (but not sheet sleeping bags!) ?

Yes.

Charlotte; tell me about these "real beds" at the YH; I was behind a sofa.

By the time I was back to Kings YH, all you fast boys had been and gone.

So I got a nice comfy bed  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #61 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:01:34 pm »
There is nothing particularly mental about the Scenic. Overall climbing is more or less the same and per km pales into insignificance compared to the Elenith.

I'm entered for the 2004 this year though  ;)

DanialW

« Reply #62 on: 22 April, 2008, 12:49:54 pm »
Quite. When Mark says 'scenic', it's not a euphenism for hilly.

One of the special 'scenic' info controls that you have to divert to involves no extra climbing at all. It's there just to give you the chance to look down a pretty valley.

Martin

« Reply #63 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:06:57 pm »
the Elan Valley is fantastic and well worth a detour if you've not seen it and are doing the 2004; it does add an extra hour to the total time though (proved by me last year)

You have an extra hour and a bit compared to last year as it's not a BRM so you get the time to do the extra 19km

frere yacker

« Reply #64 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:18:25 pm »
Other rides do the Elan Valley, arguably better.  Two spring to mind: Ross Jeal's mouthwatering Elan and Ystwyth 200 (usually in August) and Dave Lewis' rather spiffing Peacocks and Kites 300.

For some reason, I am convinced Wrekin to Sea 300 does it as well.  May be misremembering though.  That was a very purty ride.  In fact, all rides that venture into Wales are automatically better than average.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #65 on: 22 April, 2008, 01:34:21 pm »
Quite. When Mark says 'scenic', it's not a euphenism for hilly.

That all rather depends on what one means by means hilly.

ur all bonkers.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Martin

« Reply #66 on: 22 April, 2008, 03:16:04 pm »
Jack formally of this parish declared at the end of the Scenic last year;

"The 2004 is quite Scenic enough without adding any more Scenery"

« Reply #67 on: 22 April, 2008, 08:08:56 pm »
OK.  I'm in. 

It's been an emotional rollercoaster, as they are so wont to say these days.  Faint hope, all nighters, negotiations, bargaining, the ups, the downs, bitten fingernails, weariness, elation.  But I've got there at last.  Ok, not quite there yet.  The 2004 form has been printed, the stamps, envelopes and cheque book located.  What could possibly go wrong now?

border-rider

« Reply #68 on: 22 April, 2008, 08:55:05 pm »
What could possibly go wrong now?

Nothing at all :)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #69 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:31:07 pm »
I got a return to Bristol Parkway for about £20 last year coming back on the Monday; it isn't far from the bridge.
cheers, definitely worth knowing.  It seems a bit of the Chepstow line is under repairs on the Sunday ... route via Nottingham and umpteen extra hours
(I will also be grovelling for lifts, you have been warned)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

bobajobrob

« Reply #70 on: 22 April, 2008, 11:01:49 pm »
Other rides do the Elan Valley, arguably better.  Two spring to mind: Ross Jeal's mouthwatering Elan and Ystwyth 200 (usually in August) and Dave Lewis' rather spiffing Peacocks and Kites 300.

The Autumn Epic is a good one too.

Jes

« Reply #71 on: 23 April, 2008, 09:10:36 am »
okay.....I am now even more scared. I've never been to Wales. Sometime ago I thought this - and the scenic version of this - would be a good way to see Wales. Now all I envisage is lots of wails. I'm not a good climber - I can get up things, just very slowly!

Only done one 600 before - the beast. Having serious doubts as to whether this is still a good idea.......

« Reply #72 on: 23 April, 2008, 09:18:02 am »
Having serious doubts as to whether this is still a good idea.......

You need to resolve those doubts. I can only think of one way to do that.

Chris N

« Reply #73 on: 23 April, 2008, 09:18:44 am »
I'll be driving down from the East Mids on Friday evening, staying at Severn View Travelodge Friday and Sunday night, and driving back up Monday morning.  Can give a lift to 1+bike from anywhere near Brum/M42/M5 if anyone wants.

« Reply #74 on: 23 April, 2008, 09:22:24 am »
It's really not as bad as it sounds.  As MV said somewhere back up the thread, just think of it as 3 x 200 with the YH providing the breaks in between.

Although there are some climbs, there are also some significantly fast sections, notably:
- the first leg (barring a brief bump over the Black Mountains and one climb just before Dolgellau.)
- the run up to Penrhynduedraeth (it does get hilly between here and Menai Bridge, but only one blip and two notable climbs (arguably the two run into each other).
- the run from Trawsfynydd back to the YH.
- the run down to Newtown after the first climb of the day on Sunday
- Monmouth back to Chepstow.

I'm sure the bits either side of the Weobley control were quite flat too, and there is only the one climb of note in the Golden Valley before Monmouth.

AC