Author Topic: From 300Km to 600Km  (Read 13462 times)

Spikey

Re: From 300Km to 600Km
« Reply #25 on: 28 May, 2008, 05:29:44 pm »
It's just a 'maybe I'll be riding it, possibly with company, at some point, maybe'!  I've a vague plan, but nothing organised as yet.  If it turns out I've got time and there's a couple/few of us, then I'll let you know.
Ditto.

I really should have a crack at a 400 for SR, and BC is a good option as I can ride from home.  Only problem is time and other commitments. Doing the BCM incurred some  family-time/DIY/etc debt.

« Reply #26 on: 28 May, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »
Sorry to hijack the post a bit but I hope to do my 1st 600 this year too.
When you have a kip at the halfway point, do you usually have some idea of where you're going to rest your weary head or do you just take pot luck and sleep in a ditch?
I woul rally like to have had a wash and a change of clothes/shorts but that's probably a bit too difficult to arrenge and would tie you into a schedule and I do like flexibility. What's everyone's thought on this?
Dodge would find it useful advice too, I hope.

« Reply #27 on: 28 May, 2008, 05:46:22 pm »
I woul rally like to have had a wash and a change of clothes/shorts but that's probably a bit too difficult to arrenge and would tie you into a schedule and I do like flexibility. What's everyone's thought on this?

Not at all.   :thumbsup:
See the recent Twilight thread for ideas...we rode a similar route last year and had a sleep at a bunkhouse and had hot showers and dried our clothes, a bite to eat and off we set again...

cyclops and others are planning on riding the Twilight in a couple of weeks and I am currently looking at ideas for a 600 route heading up northwards...I shall be working in a hostel/bunkhouse stop for rest and washing.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #28 on: 28 May, 2008, 05:48:35 pm »
Hang on for a wee while Mr Alves. My guess is there may well be a repeat of our successful Twilight - Gie's a Light 600 later this summer. Cyclops, Valkyrie et al are going on 14 June, that might be a bit soon.
I've done several 600s in the  sleeping in a ditch stylee.  ::-) Belive me, it's much more fun, more civilised and less stressful if you have somewhere to rest your weary arse head.  There's nothing like a wee nightcap and sing-song before turning in for the night.  ;)
See our various accounts of our ride last weekend on this board.  :thumbsup:

EDIT - much as Noodley has just said.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

LEE

« Reply #29 on: 28 May, 2008, 05:54:20 pm »
When you have a kip at the halfway point, do you usually have some idea of where you're going to rest your weary head or do you just take pot luck and sleep in a ditch?

I didn't get the chance to kip on Midhurst 600 and didn't feel I needed to.  I much preferred to take a while in Service Stations and the like.  However, I DID try and book somewhere originally but everywhere was full due to a big Rugby game in Cardiff so I was, like you, worried about sleeping somewhere beforehand.

My tip would be NOT to kip at half way but at 400km or thereabouts.  Try and 'break the back' of the Audax before sleeping.  I personally found 200km on Sunday as tough as the 400 before it.  I think doing back-to-back 300s seems tougher than a 400-200.

Plenty of riders on Midhurst 600 slept for a bit (either on floor or with head on table) in Motorway Services Restaurant at 400km.  I guess you need to know where your route takes you.  I saw a couple of country Bus Shelters 'occupied' around 360km but check overnight temperatures before planning to do that (or carry a light summer sleeping bag).

The problem with Midhurst is that it puts you in the middle of nowhere, on a 100km section between 10pm (300km) and 4am (400km) so there weren't many options apart from getting to 400km.

I can really see the attraction of BCM.  A big field of riders and some guaranteed facilities.  I think I'll do it next year for those reasons.  If I planned to do 600's a lot (and I don't) then I'd enjoy free-camping with some ultra-light gear (Hammock/tarp for example).  Out in the countryside nobody is going to bother you between 1am and 5am.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 28 May, 2008, 06:17:27 pm »
Like you and many others, I was very worried about sleeping. I did a 400 first, and had to have 30mins at the 300km mark, so I knew I'd need at least that on the 600.
But it turned out to be no big deal; I have now slept head-on-hands, or indeed under tables on several rides, and survived (although the proper beds were much nicer).

As you say, flexibility is nice on your first one. On the BCM  I needed a kip well before the 400km beds, and if I had tried to plod on without sleep I think I would have hated it. Also, I'd hate to book a B&B and then arrive there with just 30mins in hand.

If you fancy a wash/change of clothes, consider carrying just a pack of wet-wipes (ladies tend to have access to a surplus of the smaller packs) and a clean pair of shorts. These items can be deployed at any dry toilet area - service stations are ideal.

Every night has been different in my extensive Audax career (14 months) - the more you do the more you realise it'll probably all work out OK.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #31 on: 28 May, 2008, 06:21:11 pm »
Make your first 600 as painless as possible. I've done 2, The 3 Coasts last year, and the Bryan Chapman this year. The organisation and support on both rides made it so much easier to get round.

You do need to be flexible with your plans, I slept for a couple of hours on the 3 Coasts, but just cat napped on the BCM.

Go to ACF and dig out the as many 600 ride reports as you can. It was the ride reports from last years' BCM that inspired me to have a go at one. Just get as much information as you can, you learn just a much from someone who packed as someone who got round successfully.

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
« Reply #32 on: 28 May, 2008, 06:23:41 pm »
Thanks for all this information, really, really useful.

Regarding the sleeping arrangements, and indeed for the ride as a whole, are there any suggestions on what is best to take with you on a 600Km, e.g. sleeping bags etc.

I'm totally wet behind the ears on this subject  ::-) can you tell? I know it should be common sense, but it doesn't hurt asking eh?  ;D

Also, none of the rides I have done so far have necessitated any kind of rack.  My bike is really a cyclosportive/racing bike rather than a typical Audax bike, it is a Sunday Silk Road with no clearance for mudguards (so I'd have to use Race Blades where required) and use a rack that attaches to the seat post or perhaps one of those Caradice bags off the back of a Brooks saddle(is that right? And if so, can you fit the racks to the back of a standard saddle - Fizik Arione).

Does anyone have any opinions on any of the above regarding bike/equipment?
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

LEE

« Reply #33 on: 28 May, 2008, 07:07:16 pm »
I'd look at the Carradice SQR seat packs instead of a rack.  They look ideal

for example

SQR Tour

I haven't used one (I use a Barley) so you'd need reviews from others.  16 Litres seems a good size to me or you'll end up carrying too much (like me)

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
« Reply #34 on: 28 May, 2008, 07:52:04 pm »
I like the idea of the Barley myself actually, looks like just the thing without going over the top.

Can you easily fit these to a standard saddle or do you need some additional accessories?

So, when we're talking about sleeping on 600's, do people carry sleeping bags with them on these rides and could you fit one of these in the Barley?
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

Maladict

« Reply #35 on: 28 May, 2008, 08:04:50 pm »
It's just a 'maybe I'll be riding it, possibly with company, at some point, maybe'!  I've a vague plan, but nothing organised as yet.  If it turns out I've got time and there's a couple/few of us, then I'll let you know.
Ditto.

I really should have a crack at a 400 for SR, and BC is a good option as I can ride from home.  Only problem is time and other commitments. Doing the BCM incurred some  family-time/DIY/etc debt.

You don't need a 400.  A 600 will do fine.  :thumbsup:

Chris N

« Reply #36 on: 28 May, 2008, 08:07:03 pm »
Ditto.

My arse tells me otherwise.

Maladict

« Reply #37 on: 28 May, 2008, 08:10:08 pm »
Ditto.

My arse tells me otherwise.

Oh dear, still sore from the BCM?  Doing a 200 at the weekend seems to have sorted mine.  ???

Chris N

« Reply #38 on: 28 May, 2008, 08:12:14 pm »
Back on the bike now but unless I tweak my position a bit, anything over 500km is likely to be pretty bad.  Got to keep riding to stay ahead of you, anway. :thumbsup:

Maladict

« Reply #39 on: 28 May, 2008, 08:14:18 pm »
That's one of the reasons I'm really not very keen on DNSing the Irish Mail due to being worn out and having lots of stuff to do.  I dropped a place already since Sunday.  :'(

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #40 on: 28 May, 2008, 09:52:43 pm »
I'd look at the Carradice SQR seat packs instead of a rack.  They look ideal

for example

SQR Tour

I haven't used one (I use a Barley) so you'd need reviews from others.  16 Litres seems a good size to me or you'll end up carrying too much (like me)

I have one, and I like it. I used it on last weekend's 600. However, I was surprised that the set up (empty) weighs more than a Blackburn rack and an Altura Skye rackpack.  ???
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #41 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:21:49 pm »
Re "the step up" to a 600, it's not really a problem. Just ride steady and eat lots. As Eck mentioned, I'm doing the Twilight 600 in a couple of weeks time. My total cycling distance for the year to date is 550km, including a single solitary 200km a couple of weeks ago.

Re what to carry, clothes etc. - take very little and keep it light. You can generally get a couple of hours shut-eye lying on a floor/seat etc. in the clothes you're wearing. I wouldn't bother with a change of clothes on a 600 - in fact I didn't bother with a change of clothes on PBP, but that was mostly 'cos I was too knackered to go find my drop bag :sick:. The clothes you intend to ride in plus a spare base layer and waterproofs for when it's colder at night are all you need.

Don't forget that you'll need lights. On a nice clear moonlight night a £40 Cateye battery LED is sufficient. On a cloudy, rainy night you'll be practically blind without a decent dynohub/Solidlights combo (or something similar). Worth borrowing a dynohub and lights if you can.

Go for it!
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #42 on: 28 May, 2008, 10:27:15 pm »
Don't forget a headtorch to read the route sheet!

« Reply #43 on: 29 May, 2008, 06:59:02 am »
I've only just done my first 600 so cant speak from a position of great authority but would echo valkyries advice to travel as light as possible.  I stuck to the absolute basics and managed to get everything into a small Ortleib saddlebag and to be honest I never really felt I was short of anything. 

I didnt really feel the need to sleep but when we had an enforced stop at Magor due to the bridge being closed just dossed on the floor and used my waterproof as a blanket.  It was fine.

Prior to this ride I'd only done one 300 before but didnt find the increase much of a problem.  I think the key is to pace yourself carefully.  I used a heart rate monitor and tried to keep down to 70% of max on the flats and no more than 80% on the hills.    This takes a bit of discipline as its easy to push much harder when youre fresh at the start, it pays dividends in the end though.
TransAfrika 2016

Martin

« Reply #44 on: 29 May, 2008, 08:13:36 am »
technically if you ride at 20kph average (inc stops) a 600 should give you 10 hours sleep time. I find a sleep stop vital for breaking the ride down into 2 halves; especially if you are going back to a half way / two thirds point and back out; but YMMV.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: 29 May, 2008, 09:16:54 am »
So, when we're talking about sleeping on 600's, do people carry sleeping bags with them on these rides and could you fit one of these in the Barley?

Very few people carry sleeping bags.  Teethgrinder sometimes does, I know.  But he's a fruityloop who'll happily ride 1000k in a weekend on a mountain bike with panniers.

If it's a calendar ride, there will often be somewhere to sleep at the 350-400k mark.  On the three coasts, this was also the arrivee, so you could drop your sleeping bag, do the first half of the ride, come back to the start, sleep and then do the second loop.  Infinitely preferable!

I carried an ultralight cellular lofted bivvy bag on PBP, but that was more because of all the horror stories I'd heard about riders not being able to find somewhere under cover to nap.  I had two sleeps inna tent/sleeping bag in Loudiac, provided by the lovely Liz.  In the end, the bivvy bag stayed vacuum packed and unused, but it was nice knowing that if had really have had to, I could have put on all my clothes and climbed inside for a few hours sleep.  It weighed 350g and was the size of a VHS cassette, fitted in one of my front panniers (carried on the rear for PBP).

On a calendar 600k with sleeping "facilities", all you really need is what you'd usually take on an audax and at least a change of shorts.  On the BCM, Liz and I had the luxury of a change of shorts every 200k - that was fabulous.

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

frere yacker

« Reply #46 on: 29 May, 2008, 09:24:39 am »
I carry a space blanket on 400+ rides.  Cheap and compact but extremely useful if you are in the middle of nowhere and get struck by the dozies.  It is also versatile if the temperature plummets (extra layer of insulation under the shirt etc).

In the past I also carried a cotton sleeping bag liner but now don't bother.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #47 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:05:03 am »
I'd also go for a change of shorts. I also like having a flannel or two to wash/wipe various places.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:13:57 am »
I carry a space blanket on 400+ rides.  Cheap and compact but extremely useful if you are in the middle of nowhere and get struck by the dozies.  It is also versatile if the temperature plummets (extra layer of insulation under the shirt etc).

I carry one on every audax I do as part of my IFAK (individual first aid kit).

If someone (and that includes me) is injured, you want to keep them warm until the ambulance arrives.  A space blanket is just the ticket.

Also useful for emergency kipping  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Chris S

« Reply #49 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:27:27 am »
I'd also go for a change of shorts. I also like having a flannel or two to wash/wipe various places.

Baby wipes. Flushable, so you don't have to carry round a flannel that's been used to wash/wipe various places ;)