Author Topic: Southend Cycle Town - part 2  (Read 238977 times)

AndyK

Re: Southend Cycle Town - part 2
« Reply #950 on: 11 June, 2011, 05:22:57 pm »
Wonder how they'll edit out the parking illegally in the cycle lane…  ;)

« Reply #951 on: 11 June, 2011, 05:51:38 pm »
^ Maybe they swapped producers, Top Gear for EastEnders^

AndyK

« Reply #952 on: 11 June, 2011, 06:17:18 pm »
The Prittlewell Brook path is for dogs and their walkers isnt it?
I dont think I have ever seen anyone cycling on it  ???
I see cyclists riding there every day and just now I reported, to the rozzers, a couple of yoofs on a mini moto on the Greenway.

Wonder if this is related? Mini Moto seized by police (From Echo)

« Reply #953 on: 12 June, 2011, 08:00:30 am »
Wonder how they'll edit out the parking illegally in the cycle lane…  ;)

Where's Casey Neistat when you need him?  :facepalm:

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #954 on: 13 June, 2011, 08:42:45 am »
You mean Casey Ryback surely!!?

Admiral Bates: Now, since your ass is on the line, sailor, I authorize you right now, to do whatever you can to aid in the arrival of the SEAL Team. Because if I goddamn can't control you, I might as well support you. Correct?

Casey Ryback: That's affirmative, Sir!

Taken from the film Under Southend On Siege 2
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

AndyK

« Reply #955 on: 20 June, 2011, 07:17:09 pm »
These signs have appeared over the weekend. Oddly there are no corresponding signs for road traffic.

« Reply #956 on: 20 June, 2011, 07:20:43 pm »
These signs have appeared over the weekend. Oddly there are no corresponding signs for road traffic.

To be fair, there doesn't need to be because motorists always stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #957 on: 20 June, 2011, 07:23:37 pm »

To be fair, there doesn't need to be because motorists always stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings.

ROTFLMAO!

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #958 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:09:27 pm »
Umm - why doesn't the pedestrian crossing just continue across the cycle lanes as well? Then there would be no need for the signs or the requirement to plant a belisha beacon in the middle of the cycle lane.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #959 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:12:12 pm »
Indeed. I'm sure that that "pedestrian crossing" has no legal force on the cycle lane because it's not properly marked.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #960 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:20:01 pm »
I think the sign is probably there because (a) the zebra crossing doesn't extend across the cycle lane and (b) there is no provision in the psyclepath design manual for a zebra crossing - at least, I've never seen one.

So it's probably bizarre design rules rather than the vindictive action of a sinister cabal of shape-shifting Illuminati.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #961 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:21:57 pm »
No, but there are "Give Way" markings on the cyclepath and also a "Give Way" sign.
The sign reads, "Pedestrians Crossing," which to me is a warning that pedestrians may be crossing, not a statement that it is an actual pedstrian crossing. Just like you get when a Sustrans route crosses a road and you see a, "Cyclists Crossing," sign, usualy accompanied by the warning triangle with the bike in it.
What puzzles me is whether you cycle on (well, across really, but you have to ride on it to cross it, unless you jump) a pavement when you cross the pedestrian crossing or not? It certainly looks that way to me.
If so, then you'd have to join the road to get past the pavement, then re-join the cyclepath, or just stay on the road.

AndyK

« Reply #962 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:24:30 pm »
The signs on the posts look a bit 'amateurish' to say the least.

and from the back:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #963 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:28:06 pm »
They're not legally enforcable, because they don't conform.  And I'm prepared to bet the reason they aren't using proper signage is because they haven't gone through the proper legal process to create the cycle lane in the first place.

ETA: I would give way to pedestrians anyway.
Getting there...

« Reply #964 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:28:07 pm »
Andy, just a thought, are you sure its nothing to do with the London-Southend bike ride this weekend :-\

Cancel that  :-[

AndyK

« Reply #965 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:33:55 pm »
Andy, just a thought, are you sure its nothing to do with the London-Southend bike ride this weekend :-\

I would have said 'possibly' if these signs had gone up at all the pedestrian crossings along there. They haven't, they've only appeared opposite Toulouse. I'm inclined to think this may have been done privately, and the council may even be unaware of it.

« Reply #966 on: 20 June, 2011, 09:59:42 pm »

I would have said 'possibly' if these signs had gone up at all the pedestrian crossings along there. They haven't, they've only appeared opposite Toulouse. I'm inclined to think this may have been done privately, and the council may even be unaware of it.

I am inclined to agree with that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #967 on: 20 June, 2011, 10:01:25 pm »
If they're private, then there would be no crime in removing illegal signs littering the street ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #968 on: 21 June, 2011, 12:33:52 pm »
Sometime last Friday afternoon/Saturday morning a bike hoop has been clamped onto a lamp post adjacent to the row of shops. It seems my suggestion of adding cycle parking has found some funding.
Just here Clicky google map. Do we know of anymore?

Edit: It's the same as this one but in stainless steel and fitted onto a galvanised light column.

AndyK

« Reply #969 on: 21 June, 2011, 12:45:05 pm »
There's one been added outside the Costcutter in Shoebury High Street. It's been there for almost a year now I think. Hmm… I haven't seen any like that though. Looks a bit high off the ground. Not much use for locking up a small wheeler.

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #970 on: 21 June, 2011, 10:00:51 pm »
Sometime last Friday afternoon/Saturday morning a bike hoop has been clamped onto a lamp post adjacent to the row of shops. It seems my suggestion of adding cycle parking has found some funding.
Just here Clicky google map. Do we know of anymore?

Edit: It's the same as this one but in stainless steel and fitted onto a galvanised light column.

These were announced by Tim Totten at the cycle forum (one before last I think). There are loads going up all over the town in front of shops and other places where people may want to take their bikes. The loops are being used where there is no room for a tradditional sheffield stand.
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #971 on: 22 June, 2011, 06:47:29 am »
There's one been added outside the Costcutter in Shoebury High Street. It's been there for almost a year now I think. Hmm… I haven't seen any like that though. Looks a bit high off the ground. Not much use for locking up a small wheeler.

I'm struggling to see how you would lock any bike up properly with one of those.

« Reply #972 on: 22 June, 2011, 06:56:16 am »
I'm struggling to see how you would lock any bike up properly with one of those.
Here's a similar hoop with bike attached.
 PRODUCTS | Cyclehoop

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #973 on: 22 June, 2011, 09:26:12 am »
Here's a similar hoop with bike attached.
  PRODUCTS | Cyclehoop

Thanks Del, it looked a bit too high up at first glance.  Certainly an improvement on wheelbenders.

« Reply #974 on: 22 June, 2011, 10:14:41 am »
Here's a shot of the actual hoop. As you can see it's a bit tougher to secure a Brompton but it still works.