Author Topic: Dry arse.  (Read 12953 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Dry arse.
« on: 19 August, 2019, 11:39:37 am »

On Saturdays Audax, we got comprehensively soaked. Even after the rain stopped, my chamois never actually dried for the remainder of the ride.

I was using chamois cream (reapplied after the rain stopped too). Had a saddle bag working as an arse saver, and wore a waterproof* jacket. But the amount of rain meant my shorts got well and truly soaked.

I've tried using waterproof trousers in the past, they are fine for the commute, but over longer distances I find they make my knees hurt by the way they move over the knee.

Has anyone found a good solution to keeping your arse dry on wet rides? The damp conditions lead to some rather uncomfortable chaffing, which I'd like to avoid. This was just a 300k ride, had I had to get up the next day and do it again, it would have been agony.

I'm wondering if waterproof mtb overshorts are the answer?

Thanks

J

*for values of, seems my rapha waterproof jacket... isn't...
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: Dry arse.
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2019, 12:02:09 pm »
Old pair of decent waterproof over trousers cut down to make over shorts.  Cut long enough to still cover shorts as legs move.

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2019, 12:19:48 pm »
worth asking yourself where/how the water got in exactly. If your jacket isn't keeping the water off you are doomed to be damp, but it'll run off even a good waterproof and soak into the first non-waterproof thing it encounters which is often the shorts. Longer-cut rain jackets might look a bit weird but can delay the onset of wet shorts considerably.

cheers

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2019, 12:31:01 pm »
Does your bike have mudguards? No guards is a guarantee of a wet arse if it rains - and will keep your arse wet for as long as the roads remain wet.

Problem with waterproof shorts is, this time of year at least, you trade a rainy arse for a sweaty arse, and I'm not sure that's an improvement!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2019, 12:35:43 pm »
Does your bike have mudguards? No guards is a guarantee of a wet arse if it rains - and will keep your arse wet for as long as the roads remain wet.

The big saddle bag works as a partial mud guard, keeps the worst off. It's one of the big bike packing saddle bags, so sticks out about 300mm from the back of the saddle over the wheel.

Problem with waterproof shorts is, this time of year at least, you trade a rainy arse for a sweaty arse, and I'm not sure that's an improvement!

TBH, I'd rather the sweat than the rain, The sweat is produced at a finite rate...

J
--

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2019, 12:44:12 pm »
I only found out these exist the other day... https://www.bikeradar.com/news/finally-the-waterproof-enduro-onesie-youve-been-longing-for/

It seems a bit extreme for big rides but if the terrain is long and consistent and you can control your temperature I could see it working...

The light edition might be a better bet? Surprisingly the pricing actually seems reasonable.

https://dirtlej.com/dirtsuit-light-edition
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2019, 01:09:29 pm »
I've never used them, but I think the waterproof mtb shorts sound a potentially good idea. Easier to put on than a onesie and more breathable, if only because there will be some ventilation between jacket and shorts. I don't think they'd need to be as long as your shorts if the idea is to keep your chamois dry, it's unlikely water would be drawn up from the end of the shorts legs to the chamois. It would after all be against gravity. You'd just have to not mind waterlogged thighs.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2019, 01:26:06 pm »
Mudguards if it's coming from the wheel, Rainlegs[1] if it's coming from the sky, drain hole if your hardshell recumbent seat is collecting run-off.  (Pay no attention to the smug velomobile riders, they'll get their comeuppance on the next big climb.)  If it's coming from your skin, you're basically doomed, I think.

I've never found waterproof trousers worth bothering with, but that's mostly because on the short journeys I'd consider them for, it's generally easier to go earlier or later and avoid the heavy rain.  Riding longer distances in boil-in-the-bag clothing does not appeal.

Someone will be along in a minute to suggest capes...

[1] Preferably the magic ones that cause the rain to stop as long as you keep wearing them.

« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2019, 02:07:49 pm »

The big saddle bag works as a partial mud guard, keeps the worst off. It's one of the big bike packing saddle bags, so sticks out about 300mm from the back of the saddle over the wheel.

J
I think you may be overestimating just how partial that is, I doubt it's as much as 50% compared to full guards.  Fashion or a dry arse, your choice.

« Reply #9 on: 19 August, 2019, 02:20:56 pm »
Agree^
Was just going to post the same. 
I've never had a problem in any amount of rain when using mudguards.  But I got the worst saddle sores I've ever had when I did a wet 300km on my TT bike with none.

« Reply #10 on: 19 August, 2019, 02:32:50 pm »

J
I think you may be overestimating just how partial that is, I doubt it's as much as 50% compared to full guards.  Fashion or a dry arse, your choice.

Not done your levels of mileage but agree that full mudguards that come from brake level down to bottom bracket make a big difference to a wet bum

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 19 August, 2019, 02:35:18 pm »
Can't remember ever having wet-bum problems even without mudguards, I always had a good long rain jacket. OTOH mudguards make for less muck to clean off.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12 on: 19 August, 2019, 03:18:45 pm »
Well i like capes but would accept that they are inadapted for audaxing and probably a nuisance in windy dutch weather. I can't help thinking that for the weight involved one reasonably effective solution would simply be to take a dry pair of shorts and a microfibre towel in your luggage which, combined with guards or a suitably designed waterproof jacket, would allow you to regain a bit of comfort.

I have travelled too many miles sitting in a lake of water on a motorbike where the rain has gone through the waterproof seams in front and not found another way out to put any trust in waterproof shorts!

« Reply #13 on: 19 August, 2019, 03:34:56 pm »
on a related point there have been heavy showers today here and I just saw a chap who had been riding his fatbike.   He'd avoided being in the rain itself but not its consequences;  just through riding a fairly short way on wet roads he had a wet stripe about a foot wide, front and rear.

Those fat tyres do throw a lot of water about!

cheers

« Reply #15 on: 19 August, 2019, 07:02:52 pm »
Plus 1 for mtb shorts, they will, in most cases, fit over a pair pf chamois shorts.   I also recall seeing a pair with a waterproof section at the back with the rest of the shorts made with a normal material.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 20 August, 2019, 01:58:32 pm »

It seems women's specific waterproof MTB shorts are few and far between. I couldn't find the women's version of the Humvee on the Endura website, so emailed them:

"We don’t do a fully waterproof ladies specific short I'm afraid.  We have a few
that have DWR coating for drizzle and spray (Singletrack, Hummvees and MT500)   
but nothing that's a fully waterproof fabric.  The MT500 Spray shorts have a   
waterproof rear.  We only to the full waterproof short in MT500 in a gents     
specific only."

Seems they don't make a women's version.

I emailed back asking why they think this is acceptable in 2019. I await their disinterested reply...

J
--

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #17 on: 20 August, 2019, 02:21:51 pm »
This thread puts me in mind of my favourite classic GCN video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhZZnTgxrDM

I keen meaning to get round to making some good mudguards. The ones that come as standard from the shop just don't cut it, I need to get the milk jugs and zip ties out to do a proper job on it myself. The roobike had some bespoke ones I made out of milk jugs on it until this summer, zip tied to the down tube and seat tube, they did a terrific job.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 20 August, 2019, 05:08:23 pm »
It seems women's specific waterproof MTB shorts are few and far between. I couldn't find the women's version of the Humvee on the Endura website, so emailed them:
[...]

Seems they don't make a women's version.

I emailed back asking why they think this is acceptable in 2019. I await their disinterested reply...

To be fair, they don't even do a version of the Humvee that fits women who have both  a) lard  and  b) quads.

I've accidentally managed to fit mine (their largest size) properly this year, by converting some of (a) into more of (b).  Prior to that they were fine for walking around in, but too tight for any real cycling.

On the gripping hand, they *do* make winter tights for women with arses who aren't 8ft tall, and should be commended for this radical approach.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #19 on: 20 August, 2019, 05:53:27 pm »
On the gripping hand, they *do* make winter tights for women with arses who aren't 8ft tall, and should be commended for this radical approach.
I've met some tall women and a few who were arses, but never any whose arses were 8ft tall.  :D ::-)

Yes, that's my coat, the waterproof romper suit.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 21 August, 2019, 11:22:39 am »

Nah, I tested it...

I stuck on a pair of crud roadracer mk3's to my bike over the winter, and took the bag off. There was no noticeable difference in the splatter pattern up my back between the two. The pattern starts about around my bra strap and goes up. The lower back and bum gets next to nothing.

My bike doesn't have a brake bridge to attach guards too, so I am limited in what guards I could fit if I wanted to. Especially as I run 32-42 mm tyres.

Women's fit water proof shorts seem to be a rarity. A lot of companies, including Vaude, seem to have discontinued theirs, some companies think only men cycling in the wet, and others think the women that do cycle in the wet are tiny pixies.

Taking a pair of scissors to my Altura waterpoof trousers, is looking like the least worst option of the lot.

J
--

« Reply #21 on: 21 August, 2019, 11:34:20 am »

My bike doesn't have a brake bridge to attach guards too, so I am limited in what guards I could fit if I wanted to.....

a couple of P clips and a bit of meccano will sort that out

cheers

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #22 on: 21 August, 2019, 11:34:52 am »

P clip?

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 21 August, 2019, 11:38:42 am »
"Are they for growing peas?" asked the woman in the hardware store when I was looking for them.

No, they're not.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24 on: 21 August, 2019, 11:40:58 am »
Women's fit water proof shorts seem to be a rarity. A lot of companies, including Vaude, seem to have discontinued theirs, some companies think only men cycling in the wet, and others think the women that do cycle in the wet are tiny pixies.

Taking a pair of scissors to my Altura waterpoof trousers, is looking like the least worst option of the lot.

J
They don't really have to be cycling shorts if they're to go over padded shorts, do they? Could you find something for hiking, say?