Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 342087 times)

Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #2425 on: 23 June, 2023, 06:41:32 pm »
Foos at Glasto now...  iplayer

Josh Freese is a bit good...  ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2426 on: 24 June, 2023, 05:35:01 pm »
New series of Springwatch starts tonight.

Not that I'd normally watch it, but a BBC "junior researcher" contacted me at the weekend with a request to use a couple of my pictures and videos, and was very keen for me to return the permission form today. Said researcher and form stress that there's no guarantee that they'll be used but I'll be watching just in case anyway.

If you were on the Not The Coronation Camping Weekend you probably saw one of the videos (Apollo watched it several times).
LOVED spring watch 2023!

Did your stuff get in? It was a few weeks ago now, but I do vaguely recall seeing a familiar name ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2427 on: 25 June, 2023, 10:37:02 pm »
Said researcher and form stress that there's no guarantee that they'll be used but I'll be watching just in case anyway.

Would also be interested in seeing which videos they used. Springwatch was good this year.

Back to my own viewing, I finally began to watch Once upon a time in NI, and found it as hard a watch as I had feared.

« Reply #2428 on: 27 June, 2023, 08:00:20 am »
Just finished Blue Lights.

Really enjoyed it. Some great characters and acting.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2429 on: 29 June, 2023, 11:00:30 am »
Started watching 'Limbo', the fictional story of a Syrian refugee sitting on a remote scottish island, waiting for his asylum application to be processed.

Couldn't hack more than 1.5 episodes. The island is un-named (but it is filmed on Uist, and that is obvious). The locals are portrayed as racist, ignorant and dismissive. An old woman on a mobility scooter is scared of talking to the refugees. The local shop is a concrete block bunker. Medical care once a month.

Its so inaccurate, it is insulting. Also stupid. Reality would be that the old woman would talk their ears off. Really nonstop and for hours. Local youth would be fascinated and pleased to see someone new and their age. Shops are few, but they are . . . shops. Medical care, well that is a problem on Uist, but someone wouldn't be left with a cast on their arm for months, they'd be taken up to Stornoway to get it removed (if the local nurse hadn't done it already).

Couldn't hack watching it any longer.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2430 on: 12 July, 2023, 10:21:30 am »
We've somehow made our way through 'Before we die'.

Flipping heck the dialog and delivery is annoying. The MC can't decide if they are hard-bitten cop or hysterical mother. Superb performance from Patrick Gibson though.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2431 on: 14 July, 2023, 08:16:07 pm »
I hadn't spotted that the Beeb are rerunning 'The Fast Show'.
BBC 2 at 10 tonight.  Series 1 ep 3.
I'll give it a look, but it's probably going to be another 'Funny then. Not funny now
We'll see.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2432 on: 16 July, 2023, 06:47:21 pm »
^ caught a rerun of smell of reeves and Mortimer.  Still funny.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #2433 on: 16 July, 2023, 07:18:40 pm »
Watching Inside Man on the Flix.  Half way through and the jury is out; on one hand there are ome different ideas there, on the other hand there are some :facepalm: moments.  It also feels like they had two ideas for two shows, but combined them into one - not entirely convincingly.

« Reply #2434 on: 17 July, 2023, 08:45:26 am »
Watching Inside Man on the Flix.  Half way through and the jury is out; on one hand there are ome different ideas there, on the other hand there are some :facepalm: moments.  It also feels like they had two ideas for two shows, but combined them into one - not entirely convincingly.

We are feeling similarly about it. Watched one episode; about 50% is pure farce. Really not sure where they are going with it, and it just doesn't mesh with the tone of the first 5 minutes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2435 on: 21 July, 2023, 07:37:04 am »
Saturday the 29th, PBS are having a Ken Burns day, showing, AFAICS 3 stand-alone documentatories.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2436 on: 21 July, 2023, 02:14:04 pm »
Finished inside man.  Feel the same about it as I did from the start.
Also agree that the first 5 mins is a totally different mood from the credits or the rest of the story,

« Reply #2437 on: 29 July, 2023, 06:54:07 pm »
We’ve started watching “Once upon a time in Northern Ireland”. Extraordinary.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2438 on: 29 July, 2023, 09:08:50 pm »
New series of Springwatch starts tonight.

Not that I'd normally watch it, but a BBC "junior researcher" contacted me at the weekend with a request to use a couple of my pictures and videos, and was very keen for me to return the permission form today. Said researcher and form stress that there's no guarantee that they'll be used but I'll be watching just in case anyway.

If you were on the Not The Coronation Camping Weekend you probably saw one of the videos (Apollo watched it several times).
LOVED spring watch 2023!

Did your stuff get in? It was a few weeks ago now, but I do vaguely recall seeing a familiar name ...

Just a still. Right at the end. Chris Packham fluffed his line.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #2439 on: 30 July, 2023, 06:50:26 pm »
Half way through The Sixth Commandment on the Beeb.

A true story about a really creepy bloke who does some really unpleasant things. Rather chilling, in fact, as the production successfully creates that feeling.

Also recommended from the BBC: We Hunt Together. Brilliant characters in the 2 "baddies" and the 2 detectives after them (worth another series with these two). Proper black comedy stuff.
Pen Pusher

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2440 on: 31 July, 2023, 07:24:18 pm »
I just finished the 6th Commandment after a recommendation from my Mum - I thought it was really good.

Weird that Peter Farquhar's brother was also on Chernobyl as Fomin and was Harry Potter's Dad!

The acting was really good - especially the rage of the niece. Her body was just vibrating with it. Really well done.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2441 on: 10 August, 2023, 02:20:10 pm »
We've just finished Steeltown Murders, which we both felt was very well acted. 

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2442 on: 18 August, 2023, 03:31:41 pm »
"I, CLAVDIVS" is getting another airing on BBC4.
Also on iPlayer.

Lots of names from BITD who either went on to fame and fortune or faded away.
BRIAN BLESSED, Siân Phillips, Patrick Stewart, Christopher Biggins(!), George Baker and Patsy Byrne to name a few.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2443 on: 27 August, 2023, 11:07:51 am »
Channel 4 have an interesting and very nuanced documentary about the London Bridge terror attack.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2444 on: 01 September, 2023, 10:23:58 pm »
The Comic Strip Presents...A Fistful of Traveler's Cheques on That's TV (uk) at 2310. Channel 56 on Freeview I think. (I've reordered mine, obvs)

Let's see how well it's aged
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2445 on: 02 September, 2023, 01:06:16 pm »
Watched the Storyville “iHuman” about AI. Somewhat unsettling, especially the academic lecturing that facial recognition can decide if you’re gay or straight, or (potentially) religious or not, his rationale being “it’s my job to inform people”.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2446 on: 02 September, 2023, 01:18:33 pm »
I remember that study.  It turns out that you can guestimate people's reported sexuality from photos on dating websites.  This tells you a lot more about how people behave on dating websites than it does about machine learning.

« Reply #2447 on: 02 September, 2023, 01:23:22 pm »
I think his point was what happens if, say, Saudi Arabia decides to deploy facial recognition to determine sexual orientation or religious affiliation.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2448 on: 02 September, 2023, 01:27:57 pm »
I think his point was what happens if, say, Saudi Arabia decides to deploy facial recognition to determine sexual orientation or religious affiliation.

Well, if they're scraping gaydar.com (or whatever the kids are using these days) then the facial recognition is a bit redundant.

If they're using CCTV or passport photos or whatever, they'll suddenly realise that phrenology is still woo.  At which point they'll either abandon the idea, or persecute people at random, whichever is politically expedient.

I hopefully don't need to point out that the Met are already doing this.

« Reply #2449 on: 04 September, 2023, 04:15:19 pm »
'The woman in the wall'

Damn fine acting. 2 episodes in and hooked.
<i>Marmite slave</i>