Author Topic: Enviolo "stepless" gears  (Read 1956 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Enviolo "stepless" gears
« on: 31 July, 2020, 10:50:43 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS0ubxmOFL0

They seem to be A Thing, according to this video on e-bikes. Does anyone have any experience of them?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Enviolo "stepless" gears
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2020, 11:02:44 pm »
No experience but it looks like it is a renamed NuVinci hub.

« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2020, 11:15:22 pm »
that is exactly what it is; same old crap in a differently named bucket.

cheers

« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2020, 08:38:03 am »
Was Nu Vinci not good?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2020, 08:48:27 am »
It is a lovely bit of kit but it is expensive, efficiency is low and the gear range is not as great as some alternatives. Works wonderfully with electric assist but not so much with legs alone.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2020, 12:31:17 pm »
It also prefers to shift under load, which makes it a pretty good companion for mid-drive motors.

There's an option to control it electronically, like STEPS with a Di2 gear hub in automatic mode, without the clunky gearchanges.  This gives you a knob to tweak your desired pedalling cadence and the system makes it so, which is Pretty Cool.  Alas I've only seen a bike thus equipped once, and didn't have the opportunity to ride it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2022, 08:44:49 pm »
I had forgotten that I had started this thread, and nearly started a new one.

I'm in the research stages at the moment but I'm planning to buy me a present in the form of an e-bike of some sort. On Friday I shall be visiting the Brentwood branch this organisation: https://www.theelectricbikeshop.co.uk/ and will be riding a few to try them out. I want to give the Enviolo gears a try. They are lots cheaper than Rohloff, which is probably overkill anyway when you have electric assist.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #8 on: 25 March, 2022, 12:05:17 pm »
Some parents at school have a Tern with the continuously variable hub.  The bike has been back to the shop twice in the last 12-24 months for issues with the gears.  n of 1 sample and all that, but with my wife's e-bike I opted for the 8-speed derailliallier as it's an idiot proof* system that can be fixed aby any shop/me.
(click to show/hide)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 25 March, 2022, 12:09:55 pm »
I believe one of the most significant issues with these hubs is that the average bike shop mechanic hasn't a clue how to adjust them correctly.  Which isn't really the hub's fault, but is a real problem if you're relying on them.