Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 87333 times)

ian

Beer!
« on: 16 October, 2016, 07:06:33 pm »
I think the Gin! topic needs a complementary Beer! thread. So I'm starting one. Not of that ratebeer pretentious nonsense. It either kicks the big fandango or it don't.

For breakfast I had a black IPA - Fourpure and Cloudwater Optare. Very moreish. But it was breakfast and I needed to get back on the bicycle when it stopped raining, so I stuck with an half. I'm a big fan of the Fourpure Juicebox IPA at the moment.

For pudding later, I had a third of blueberry cheesecake imperial stout (this). At 12% it's a bit hefty. I wouldn't drink a pint.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Beer!
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2016, 07:11:51 pm »
Ob-xkcd:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2016, 07:26:00 pm »
Black Knight, Cotswold Brewery
went down very well at Culham Station Inn on Friday.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2016, 07:38:58 pm »
None today as I know I would fall asleep half way through it. Yesterday, though, I had a "La Vergen Jamonera" with my cold cuts platter lunch, then had a "Maris the Otter" followed by a H!PA, from Helmsley Brewery, in the evening. The Last Vergen was dark, flat and damned tasty. Maris the Otter underwhelmed but the H!PA was lovely.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2016, 08:58:42 pm »
Out of the 10 or so beers I tried at yesterdays beer festival the Almasty Brewery - The American - A transatlantic Pale Ale, tickled my fancy the most.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5 on: 17 October, 2016, 11:07:41 am »
Nicest one I had recently was Pacific Ale by Stone and Wood.  An Aussie pale ale, slightly cloudy (with not a little of the wheat beer vibe about it).  Very moreish and easy-drinking.

If you like that sort of thing,  there's a logging app called Untapp'd which you can use to track your beers.  (It's colloquially known as "beer Strava" in the yacf Mid-Essex chapter).  I can see from that that around 75% of my top ten or so highest rated beers are wheat beers of some form or another (witbier, hefeweizen etc..) with the rest of them being a mix of stouts, porters and belgian types.

My favourite beer that I have recorded in there is the East End Witte (brewed in Pittsburgh).  It's also incredibly easy-drinking.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

ian

« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2016, 11:17:59 am »
For supper, a Siren Barrel-Aged Peach IPA and a Beavertown Lupaloid IPA. Both very good. The Siren didn't taste very IPA but was very peachy. Thought it would be a more complicated, but instead rather easy drinking peachy fun. The Lupaloid is very good old skool IPA and comes in a marvellously purple can. Which I like.

I had to explain to someone the other day why Beavertown = De Beauvoir Town. Posh people, eh.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #7 on: 17 October, 2016, 11:24:41 am »
The best name I can remember was "Comrade Bill Bartrams Egalitarian Anti Imperialist Soviet Stout", which I tried at a local beer festival a few years back.  Sadly this pre-dates my usage of the app, and was the first or second beer tasted during a fairly hefty session, so I have no idea whether I liked it or not.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #8 on: 17 October, 2016, 11:35:04 am »
I'm a dark ale person rather than IPA person. Half a bottle of Old Crafty Hen last night, which went nicely with dinner.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2016, 12:02:04 pm »
I'm a bit of a beer slut really.  I'm just happy with bottled Old Speckled Hen.  I tend not to buy Crafty, as it always makes me fancy another and it's too strong for me.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #10 on: 17 October, 2016, 01:13:09 pm »
Fourpure Juice box wins because it comes in a large can

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 17 October, 2016, 05:24:59 pm »
So did a Watneys Party Seven ergo I call your large can conclusion "dubious".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

« Reply #12 on: 17 October, 2016, 07:47:16 pm »
One of my homebrew sloe and rosehip beers this evening. It's had an excellent secondary fermentation, with a very good head. Flavour is very fruity, but not distinctly rosehip or sloe. It's quite reminiscent of one of the Belgian kriek or geuze sthle beers with a bit of a sharpness to it.

I'll do this recipe again.

« Reply #13 on: 17 October, 2016, 07:51:51 pm »
the pub 20 yards from me is more of a cider place but they do serve Green Devil IPA from Oakham and it's far too tempting (and too bloody strong) for me.  It's very like an american IPA, too hoppy and sharp for more than 1 or 2 but really good when you've got a thirst on.

« Reply #14 on: 17 October, 2016, 09:10:06 pm »
For breakfast I had a black IPA - Fourpure and Cloudwater Optare.
How can pale ale be black?  ???  If it's black it ain't pale ale, India or not. And I must admit that I hate the name, as I do many beers nowadays. I hope it tasted good enough to make up for the misnaming.

I thoroughly approve of the thread, though.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ian

« Reply #15 on: 17 October, 2016, 10:48:38 pm »
A black IPA is just a hoppy black ale. IPA is shorthand for hoppiness, innit.

To be fair, I'm more of a fan of the actual pale ales rather than dark ones. My favourite styles are session IPAs and saisons. For a session IPA, you can't improve on Bullfinch's Rascal (they've run out, partly I suspect my fault, but they're brewing some more) and Burning Sky's Arise. Actually, both breweries do a fabulous range. Brew by Numbers are doing a fabulously murky pale ale at the moment. Well, it's more opaque than pale. If you did a wee that murky you'd be on the market for two new kidneys. Oddly, even Brewdog have yet to commission me to write copy for them.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #16 on: 19 October, 2016, 09:35:20 pm »
What about this as a bike ride ?

http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/tsp/pubs/

24727 pubs in 45495239 meters :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #17 on: 21 October, 2016, 11:15:03 pm »
Brewdo Collab Fest  :P

ElyDave

« Reply #18 on: 21 October, 2016, 11:45:29 pm »
Had a bottle of my homebrew IPA today, much better after four weeks in the bottle, hopiness really improved.

« Reply #19 on: 22 October, 2016, 08:32:04 am »
I raided Morrisons Craft beer shelf yesterday. They had a 4 for £6 offer. I tried Sierra Nevada, Lagunas, Brewdog Punk, and Blue Moon.

The Blue moon and Brewdog won. Morrisons in Nailsworth are now out of stock  ;D

I've got to say, I'm  annoyed with myself for taking so long to discover these. I've a lot of catching up to do.

ElyDave

« Reply #20 on: 22 October, 2016, 11:41:32 am »
Haven't tried the blue moon, but I do like the Laguna's and the punk. Say what you like about their marketing but the do make a good beer

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #21 on: 22 October, 2016, 12:10:54 pm »
Blue moon is as much as craft beer as Double Diamond was a real ale. The brewery is the beer equivalent of a flag of convenience. Avoid.

Punk IPA, on the other hand is gorgeous. As is Dead Pony Club. For a real treat try having a DPC with a really good curry, your mouth will thank you!

My beers, over the last two days have been :

Helmsley HIPA
Flying Dog session IPA
Thornbury Jaipur
Arcor

Of them, I liked the Jaipur the best, a real IPA.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #22 on: 22 October, 2016, 12:19:25 pm »
Blue moon is as much as craft beer as Double Diamond was a real ale. The brewery is the beer equivalent of a flag of convenience. Avoid.

Don't care.

It tastes nice.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #23 on: 22 October, 2016, 06:06:23 pm »
Another fan of Blue Moon here. Even though some of these beers have got popular enough to now be beneath contempt for the true believers, it is good to see that American bars can now easily equal British pubs for the range and quality of their beer offerings. Yes, the style's different. Long live variety.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #24 on: 22 October, 2016, 06:29:24 pm »
Beer! I feel the title of this thread is perhaps sufficient comment. However, in the spirit of reflecting on fermented isotonic sports drinks... I am looking forward to my trip to Masham on Monday as I route check Mr Deano's fabulous 'Peculier Old 200' Audax, and again on the 29th as I spend a day drinking Theakstons and stamping the brevet cards at the White Bear control.