Author Topic: Mudguard Extensions - Examples please  (Read 48866 times)

Re: Mudguard Extensions - Examples please
« Reply #100 on: 10 December, 2011, 01:49:02 pm »

Untitled by marcus_jb1973, on Flickr

Now I could follow that bike all day  ;D ;D

LEE

« Reply #101 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:24:34 am »
Well, I got sick of looking at my sad plastic milk bottle extension (although it has performed admirably for years).

I thought I'd bling-up a new milk bottle (with some black DUCK Tape and some scotchlite stickers).

Construction/attachment is identical, a strip of plastic milk bottle, 2 holes and a cable-tie through the mudguard.

I'm more proud of my bit of plastic milk bottle than I should be.

« Reply #102 on: 02 February, 2012, 06:48:01 pm »
Nice work Lee, I like the look of that one  :thumbsup:

« Reply #103 on: 02 February, 2012, 08:46:26 pm »
SKS now do a Longboard Mudguard with extensions.

« Reply #104 on: 02 February, 2012, 08:48:16 pm »

Unfortunately the rear mudguard is also shorter, which makes it harder to extend further and it is really not long enough to give the following rider any protection  :facepalm:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #105 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:24:03 pm »

The front is very long, the rear not quite so.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #106 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:25:47 pm »
When are SKS going to realise that the function of a set of mudguards is not just to protect the person sat on the bike they are fitted to  :facepalm:

« Reply #107 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:29:30 pm »

The front is very long, the rear not quite so.

So the front are good for keeping your feet dry?

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #108 on: 02 February, 2012, 10:34:51 pm »
And the down tube / bottom bracket area clean.

LEE

« Reply #109 on: 02 February, 2012, 11:58:34 pm »
The rear one, as Feline implies, looks no better than the standard mudguard, possibly even worse.

For my front mudguard extension botch I just folded some black DUCK tape over the existing rubber extension which added 2-3" to it, just enough to keep the spray reaching the downtube and B/B.  Anything more substantial risks being broken on kerbs.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #110 on: 03 February, 2012, 12:53:38 pm »
I've just taken a sideways look (literally) at my bike and decided I really ought to get a mudguard extension. The front is fine but the back doesn't quite come down to the horizontal level with the hub - though it's hard to tell atm cos it's on sloping ground. I'm not particularly bothered about keeping mud off the bike itself, but as I hate following riders who send spray into your face, it's a bit hypocritical of me to risk doing the same. Unfortunately I took the empty milk bottles to the plastic skip yesterday!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LEE

« Reply #111 on: 03 February, 2012, 01:01:22 pm »
I've just taken a sideways look (literally) at my bike and decided I really ought to get a mudguard extension. The front is fine but the back doesn't quite come down to the horizontal level with the hub - though it's hard to tell atm cos it's on sloping ground. I'm not particularly bothered about keeping mud off the bike itself, but as I hate following riders who send spray into your face, it's a bit hypocritical of me to risk doing the same. Unfortunately I took the empty milk bottles to the plastic skip yesterday!

They need to come down a suprisingly long way past the axle prevent showering riders behind you.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #112 on: 03 February, 2012, 01:20:17 pm »
I'm gonna make a lorra lorra porra and then use the empty milk carton to extend my guard. Or maybe find a more stylish way.

Maybe something more flexible would be better? I should read through this thread (again) to see what people have done!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #113 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:37:27 am »
I have a friendly builder outside with a roll of damp proof membrane.  :) The roll is about 1m wide, how much should I take?

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #114 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:39:57 am »
I have a friendly builder outside with a roll of damp proof membrane.  :) The roll is about 1m wide, how much should I take?

As much as you can so you can share it with fellow forumites. ;)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #115 on: 08 February, 2012, 10:54:57 am »
I'd do that if I felt I could get away with it, but there is a difference between making use of what's there and taking the piss!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #116 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:13:56 am »
1m(width) is enough for many bikes. So just take a piece as long as you could imagine wanting a flap to be (include the section that will be attached to the guard).

(Someone kindly sent me some sheets years ago - I think width-of-A4 turned out to be long enough, but YMMV ).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #117 on: 02 September, 2012, 07:44:17 am »
Picking up the discussions about the SKS Longboards, does anyone have experience of how well they squash? I have them on my commute bike with oodles of mudguard clearance and they work really well. I would like to fit a front one on my winter training bike which has 40mm width under the fork crown (enough for B35 SKS chromoplastics = which I measure as 40mm wide at the edges  ???). The Longboards are 45mm wide, so they'll need a little bit of persuading to go in.

Any thoughts?

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #118 on: 02 September, 2012, 06:28:40 pm »

Are you sure that you don't want a DPC rather than a DPM? DPC tend to be about 150mm (or may be a bit more) wide.
Chief cat entertainer.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #119 on: 02 September, 2012, 09:19:03 pm »
Well, it's some tough, dark grey plastic, whatever it's called. I guess I should use it now I've had almost 7 months to think forget about it! After all, autumn is on the way, with its damp weather - oh, we had that in summer!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #120 on: 16 December, 2013, 10:47:59 pm »
finally i got fed up with getting my runabout/commute bike dirty and decided to install front mudflap as the front wheel is the main culprit for the crud accumulation on frame, chain, chainset, rear wheel and shoes. mudflaps are only effective if they extend to no higher than 1-2" above the ground. so i've cut a strip of plastic from tyre packaging (the right flex/stiffness) to make a "spine" and two strips of duct tape from the inside and outside of mudguard. it took only ten minutes to make and attach it and would take five seconds to remove. tested on wet commute today - brilliant! :thumbsup: clean bike, clean shoes. it may not be the best looking solution (and looking at the photos up thread certainly not the worst ;D), but it's quick, simple and works well.

« Reply #121 on: 17 December, 2013, 07:05:46 am »

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #122 on: 17 December, 2013, 02:55:52 pm »
^That, on that bike, really looks all of a piece. Like it.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #123 on: 02 August, 2014, 02:14:39 pm »
I have just had a mudflap for the front mudguard. Hopefully it will keep my feet dry. I wasn't sure what size to make it. I have done a little test ride and all seems good so far  ;D

Untitled by colincycle, on Flickr

by colincycle, on Flickr
123 Miles East of Marsh Gibbon

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #124 on: 02 August, 2014, 07:30:12 pm »

Made from some saddle leather