Author Topic: What new tyres would you like to see?  (Read 47552 times)

Re: What new tyres would you like to see?
« Reply #25 on: 04 March, 2010, 01:53:45 pm »
I'd like Schwalbe to make the Marathon Plus in 26x1.5" for use on my every day machine.  The 1.35" is a bit too small.  The 1.75" is a bit too big.  There is no pleasing some people....   ::-)

KidJambo

• Ex-sales manager for Michelin bicycle tyres
    • Michelin Tyres
« Reply #26 on: 04 March, 2010, 01:54:45 pm »

Krylin Carbon in 25-559 or 28-559 would be nice. Any fast-ish road tyre in 559 size would be nice.

In the new WILD range of MTB tyres there is a pure slick - Wild Run'R - replaces the old XCR Road

Additionally, the Pilot Sport - lightweight cut-slick commuter tyre for lightweight hybrids - will be available in 26" later in the year!

:D

Sounds good.
Could not find the Wild range in Michelin in the UK & Ireland: Tyres, Maps, Guides and Atlases

The normal website would be Bike tyres, Bike tyre range, mtb tyres- Michelin but we are building a new site. There is a new MTB tyre selector - visit Michelin Wild Bike to see more! :D
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

« Reply #27 on: 04 March, 2010, 02:00:00 pm »
I'd like a decent light training tyre in sizes up to 35c, possibly based on the Kyrilion Carbon. Something to give the Pasela a bit of competition.

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #28 on: 04 March, 2010, 02:02:21 pm »
I'd like a decent light training tyre in sizes up to 35c, possibly based on the Kyrilion Carbon. Something to give the Pasela a bit of competition.

Are you talking full slick or treaded?
No longer responsible for bicycle tyres at Michelin - although I know the guy who is - but will stick around as I am a keen cyclist first and foremost...with a Michelin-biased understanding of tyres!

« Reply #29 on: 04 March, 2010, 02:15:45 pm »

We'd like the line from Lord of the Rings engraved on the outside.

"One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, etc"
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #30 on: 04 March, 2010, 02:35:20 pm »
These are my favourite tyres at the moment (for three different bikes):

* Vittoria Open Corsa CX (previous version, 290 TPI) 700x23
* Vittoria Rubino Pro 700x25
* Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x28

It would be good if you can beat each of those in terms of price, weight or grip without compromising on puncture/cut/rip resistance and speed.  I wouldn't mind if they were a bit less hard wearing if grip was significantly higher.

I'd like the tyres to be as easy to fit as Vittoria's as well.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #31 on: 04 March, 2010, 02:43:30 pm »
I'd say something in 700x32, fast yet reasonable puncture protection, comfy but without fragile sidewalls, very light tread.  Something a bit like a Panaracer Pasela, but without fragile sidewalls that crack / split.

Currently running Conti City Contacts on my touring / commuting bike, although they are comfy, they are somewhat heavy. I'll probably look for something lighter for the summer time!

KidJambo

• Michelin Tyres
« Reply #32 on: 04 March, 2010, 02:49:03 pm »
I'd like the tyres to be as easy to fit as Vittoria's as well.

can I ask what rims you use as I have always found Vittoria a bugger to fit! :s

See - you say you don't mind if durability is compromised for increased grip whereas I have just had a message on another forum saying that the durability is the key and maybe we should make our tyres harder as grip is less of a factor! :s

« Reply #33 on: 04 March, 2010, 03:28:34 pm »
I think it depends on the roads and weather.

Daytime rides on dry bitumen - most tyres are grippy enough.

Riding day and night, frequently in wet weather and heavy traffic - grip matters.

Durability is about two things, IME:

Wear
Resistance to cuts.

Some tyres are noted for wearing away. I've found Conti's to wear quickly, leaving a flat patch on the centreline.

Some tyres cut easily - so glass and small sharp stones destroy them. Recently had to bin a tyre for this, even tho' I tried booting it.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: 04 March, 2010, 03:32:55 pm »
MrC is right.  I really don't mind wearing tyres out - even if it is within a frighteningly short period of time.  At least they will have usually been lovely and fast and grippy in their short life.

What really annoys me (and makes me unlikely to want to buy that type of tyre again) is a tyre that's not worn away, but which is rendered unreliable through being heavily cut.  Fair enough, taking a summer race tyre for a long winter auxdax down flinty lanes will do for most lightweight, skinny tyres, but I don't expect it on anything branded "puncture resistant".
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #35 on: 04 March, 2010, 03:35:46 pm »
A tyre that is easy to put on and take off but then again if it is puncture proof then I do not need to take it off so often :)

Thanks KidJambo for this a great idea and I which any manufacture would do this more often.  
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #36 on: 04 March, 2010, 04:36:49 pm »
can I ask what rims you use as I have always found Vittoria a bugger to fit! :s

Mavic Open Pro.  Once used a bit, I can even remove Open Corsas from them without levers.  Rubino Pros are a bit tighter but still no problem.  I know you say Michelin tyres are closer to what they're supposed to be in size than Vittoria's, but nevertheless my vote goes to making them easier (slightly larger).

See - you say you don't mind if durability is compromised for increased grip whereas I have just had a message on another forum saying that the durability is the key and maybe we should make our tyres harder as grip is less of a factor! :s

You could (and I suppose do) have some soft models and some hard models.

Re cut resistance: that can come from the layer beneath the rubber, or the casing, if soft rubber is more prone to cutting.  It doesn't actually matter if the rubber gets severely cut up as long as the casing remains intact.

« Reply #37 on: 04 March, 2010, 04:55:12 pm »

I agree with Andrew in terms of some competition for the Pasela. 

The Pro Race Optimum sounds excellent and I would would probably try a pair in 28 if available, although I'll proably equally try them in 25c.

A stickier Krylion Carbon would fit the bill too.

Zoidburg

« Reply #38 on: 04 March, 2010, 04:58:15 pm »
I would be keen to see a MTB tyre the same width and waffle tread pattern as a cyclo cross tyre.

« Reply #39 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:43:38 am »
I would be keen to see a MTB tyre the same width and waffle tread pattern as a cyclo cross tyre.

Seen the XCR dry? 

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #40 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:51:09 am »
I agree with having some more competition for the Pasela as well.  Sidewalls should be stronger, but only slightly because I don't want much less flexibility (increased rolling resistance).  The sidewalls should be black, too!

« Reply #41 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:55:34 am »
Having read in 3 places that the Michelin 25mm is the same width as the Conti 4S 28mm, I've taken a punt and ordered a k carbon in 25mm (I had ordered a RiBMo, but they don't seem to be available).

Will be reporting back. Maybe Michelin are already matching the conti and pasela offerings and we just don't know it.

Have measured my tyres (Open pro rim).

Pasela - 28mm

GP4s - 27mm
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #42 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:55:50 am »

Seen the XCR dry?  
I had an XCR road - it lasted 50miles :(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #43 on: 05 March, 2010, 11:01:45 am »
I'm with Biggsy on this.  I currently use Marathon Plus 25s, but I'm going back to 28s next time they wear out.  The protection is second to none, but there is a slight rolling resistance problem, and the sidewalls are ridiculously thick.  Yes, something like a Pasela, with protection comparable to an M+ (fit & forget), but less fragile sidewalls (albeit black, as Biggsy suggests) would be a great tyre.  Sizes from 23 to 35 would probably cover the market.

I ask a lot of the rubber I ride.  It has to cope with the potholes of London, for a start, and occasional touring, as well as the occasional bit of roughstuff.  M+ is the only one on the market that actually fits the bill.
Getting there...

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #44 on: 05 March, 2010, 11:09:54 am »
More tyres that actually fit on Campag rims. I'm running Vredstein Fortezza Tricomps on my Neutrons because I managed to get them on. I did fit Michelins, but it took me an hour to get them on and that was sitting in the house. I took them off again immediately because I realised that I'd never manage it with cold wet hands at the side of the road.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #45 on: 05 March, 2010, 01:37:54 pm »
While not as important as wear and grip, this question of ease of fitting is still important.  One of the reasons I like Pasalas is that I can fit them and take them off my Open-Pros without levers (the latter naturally a bit harder).

« Reply #46 on: 05 March, 2010, 03:24:13 pm »
Paselas may be easy to fit, but I have witnessed one blow off the rim on a descent, possibly due to brake heating pushing the pressure up.
It wasn't a particulary big descent, and the rider isn't given to excessive braking. The tyre started to lift off a couple of times when trying to get the new tube in too.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #47 on: 05 March, 2010, 03:31:09 pm »
Hmmm. Wish list.

• Relatively easy to get off and on rims (Continentals are an object lesson in how not to do this).
  • Puncture proof. Yeah I know.
  • Moderate range of widths; say 23 - 32
  • Fairly hard wearing1
  • Cheap2
  • No stupid names
  • No fancy colours3

1For me this means a design life of at least 5,000 miles of puncture free riding4.
2For me this means about GBP15 per tyre at LBS prices.
3Although if you were to introduce a range with buff/cream side walls I could be tempted. :)
4*edit* Given ordinary luck and no more than averagely poor road conditions.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #48 on: 05 March, 2010, 03:55:12 pm »
Paselas may be easy to fit, but I have witnessed one blow off the rim on a descent, possibly due to brake heating pushing the pressure up.

And perhaps making the bead more slippery.

It wasn't a particulary big descent, and the rider isn't given to excessive braking. The tyre started to lift off a couple of times when trying to get the new tube in too.

I've had that happen with one Pasela and two Open Corsas, but I put that down to manufacturing defects.  Other tyres of the same models have behaved themselves on my wheels.

border-rider

« Reply #49 on: 05 March, 2010, 04:01:23 pm »

I have that problem with OP ceramic rims and Paselas.  Blow them up above about 75 psi and they lift off, sooner or later.

The very same tyres are absolutely fine on standard OPs, and on very other rim I've used them with. 

It's less of a problem with folding Paselas, but it still happens with ceramic rims if I inflate them to above 85.