Author Topic: Random road stuff  (Read 22001 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Random road stuff
« on: 03 March, 2021, 12:26:17 pm »
I have just observed a Civil Enforcement Officer (posh term for parking attendant) cycling along our road whilst wearing his fluorescent jacket.

Nothing wrong, or remarkable, with that, you might say, and of course you'd be right. But this one was cycling against the flow of traffic on the one-way street, and also on the pavement.

I thought it was rather amusing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Random road stuff
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2021, 03:55:21 pm »
Don't think I've ever seen one cycling here, so one point to Southend.

I saw a car that had been clamped for tax evasion at the posh end of our street. I've never seen those clampers in action, perhaps they come round at dead of night?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2021, 09:30:00 pm »
Daily Heil tells lies... not news, but...

https://twitter.com/laura_laker/status/1380430322039410691
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2021, 10:15:17 pm »
"It's confusing driving abroad pt97": Apparently in this situation

(according to Polish rules) the driver of that van should be indicating left. Seems "you don't indicate to show you're going straight on" and "straight on" is defined by the carriageway, not by signs and markings. And more bizarrely, even in this situation:

you should indicate .

That they've seen fit to put this on a news site (without saying it's new) suggests most people who passed a Polish driving test don't know it either.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2021, 05:43:40 pm »
Got beeped by a twat in an old Beemer estate just for being on the road (the bus lane, actually, so not even in his way).  This town gets a bit pikier and nastier every year.  I'm out of here in 3 years.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2021, 07:15:48 pm »

Clickbait. Instead of clicking on the link, could you tell me a little bit about the story?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2021, 09:52:25 pm »
Fed up with the council taking no action over inconsiderate parking blocking pavements and preventing emergency vehicles getting through? Paint your own double yellow lines.
Frustrated residents in north Bristol have taken to street corners to provide double yellow lines where none exist.

Campaigners also placed yellow lines over vehicles parked illegally, claiming that traffic and parking is largely unregulated and rarely enforced.
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/rogue-yellow-lines-painted-by-residents-fed-up-inconsiderate-parking/

ian

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2021, 09:35:15 am »
Probably quicker than the three years it took to get the council to paint ones on the corner near our house (request year 1, everyone agrees; year two wait for the annual meeting where they discuss such matters; year three, obligatory and pointless consultation).

Steph

Steph

« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2021, 12:08:39 am »

Clickbait. Instead of clicking on the link, could you tell me a little bit about the story?
Not clickbait. On essence, Heil spoke bollocks about 'hate crime' covering cyclists, and lost

« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2021, 11:44:57 am »
We've had a local car clamped for lack of tax - but across the road there were 3-4 cars parked actually on the corner and nothing done about it.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 16 April, 2021, 11:58:33 am »
Tax clamping is done by DVLA, stupid parking is the remit of your LA or the police or someone.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 16 April, 2021, 06:13:41 pm »
I wish someone would dissuade my neighbour from parking his large and opaque Sprinter van in the spot closest to the junction of Larrington Gardens Road and the main drag :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 20 April, 2021, 09:38:40 pm »
Riding mate is a bit freaked out.  He was riding with another friend on Sunday when they were passed by a large bunch from one of the local road clubs, and exchanged greetings with them.  A few seconds later, when the group had pulled ahead, there was a crash for reasons unknown (touch of wheels? pothole?) and one female rider went over the bars very fast.  She was being attended to by her clubmates, so my mate didn't stop long,  but he said her head was at the wrong angle and it looked like a broken neck  :-\
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #14 on: 27 April, 2021, 12:53:36 pm »
This is a private road sunshine, it belongs to Horsham district council.

https://twitter.com/Jamesdestafford/status/1367894795616743430

Heavily edited but if they were my kids I'd be proud of them for standing up to a grumpy old git.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #15 on: 27 April, 2021, 05:32:16 pm »
Why are we being invited to watch a 7-year-old video?

The skateboarders will probably have grown up into grumpy old gits themselves by now.   ;)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16 on: 02 May, 2021, 04:05:07 pm »
This a rickshaw crash even though a car driver was involved: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-56963067

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #17 on: 02 May, 2021, 04:41:23 pm »
Well pointed out. And same applies when someone is "run over", it's never reported as a car crash although it is.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 04 April, 2022, 02:26:43 pm »

« Reply #19 on: 16 June, 2022, 08:42:19 am »
Wondering what those “cyclists should be licensed and show registration numbers” types would have made of Chipping Ongar last night.  Currently the high street is subject to a temporary set of 5 way traffic lights.  Light goes red just in front of me, I stop, unclip and settle in knowing the wait is approximately 180 seconds.  That’s Too long for two of the vehicles behind who pull out of the queue and go through the red after a minute or so.  The second is a transit tipper towing a chipper who then meets a car coming through the opposite way on green.  And they say it’s cyclists and licensing and registration would stop it all!

« Reply #20 on: 16 June, 2022, 08:49:45 am »
This morning I went out for an early morning ride. I do this because I no longer feel safe on the road and there is little other traffic around. However, today I caught the start of the morning rush hour and far from feeling unsafe I felt quite safe as everything that overtook me did so in accordance with the new Highway Code rules. Lots of them even waited patiently behind me waiting until they could safely overtake.
Of course it may be different in an afternoon rush hour or later in the morning when school run is on too, but for now if felt good.

I haven't felt this good about riding a bike in a couple of years.

« Reply #21 on: 16 June, 2022, 09:22:16 am »
Totally anecdotal, but i find afternoon/evening rush hour to be far more bad tempered.

I can never understand when I see people out for a road ride (i.e doesn't look like they are commuting. No luggage etc.) at that time of day. It would make me miserable.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 16 June, 2022, 12:31:47 pm »
I can never understand when I see people out for a road ride (i.e doesn't look like they are commuting. No luggage etc.) at that time of day. It would make me miserable.

Rush hour as a small part of a many-hour ride?  That's usually why I'm out in it.  Though I usually try to be somewhere quiet when it happens.

« Reply #23 on: 18 June, 2022, 08:03:40 pm »
I can never understand when I see people out for a road ride (i.e doesn't look like they are commuting. No luggage etc.) at that time of day.
If you saw our principal commuting from work he would look like a roadie out for a ride.  No luggage and the lycra works.  I reckon he's not the only commuter who does so in (as Flatus would say) cosplay.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #24 on: 18 June, 2022, 09:15:11 pm »
Yep. Clothes, shower and laptop at work = lycra for the commute.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.