Author Topic: data sim upload throttling?  (Read 835 times)

data sim upload throttling?
« on: 05 November, 2020, 09:23:17 am »
I am streaming from our church during the pandemic using a mobile router with unlimited data (apparently).

When I start the router i generally see about 8Mb upload speed which is great and I can get a high quality stream.  As the time goes on after about 30 minutes this reduces to 4 or less, the cache fills up and the connection becomes unstable.

Nothing has changed in my setup during that time and I am streaming to a commercial restreaming site (either castr or restream) on a paid plan so I do not think it is at their end.

I assume that the mobile provider is dynamically throttling my upload speed.  Do you think I am correct or am I missing something? 

Is there anything else I can do at the mobile provider, router, etc end of things to get a guaranteed upload speed?

Alternatively has anybody experience of a load sharing router with two mobile routers to get a composite speed?

Re: data sim upload throttling?
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2020, 12:58:08 pm »
Sorry but you cant increase upload speed for a single client using load sharing.
With IP if there are two routes then the packets are are hashed over the two on a per session basis so all you traffic will go via one of the links and the other will remain idle. If you had lots of streams using separate TCP or UDP port numbers or loads of client PCs then it would give you load sharing. Same thing happens bundling Ethernet connections together, a sigle flow always uses one link.
The alternative is to get lower down than the IP layer with your load sharing. PPoE for example can do mutiple linlks and fragment packets across all the links. Never tried it with 4or 5G though. Multilink PPoE though does require multilink capable devices on both ends of the link not just on ethough so your service provider would have to sell you a service that supported it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2020, 12:59:42 pm »
Probably easier to pay a provider to sell you a service that's appropriate for your needs.  Such things must exist, albeit probably in some form of super-expensive business contract.  You get what you pay for.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2020, 05:52:40 pm »
8MB upload is not a bad speed.

I'd look at how you are uploading - are there any tweaks that you can use to reduce the bit rate of the upload?

Frame rate, compression, resolution.

How are you producing the stream?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:33:08 pm »
8MB upload is not a bad speed.

I'd look at how you are uploading - are there any tweaks that you can use to reduce the bit rate of the upload?

Frame rate, compression, resolution.

How are you producing the stream?

I am quite happy with the 8Mb. The problem is when it drops to 3-4.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2020, 09:07:39 pm »
No worries.

Hope you work something out.
It is simpler than it looks.