Author Topic: Buying a Mac from Costco ?  (Read 786 times)

Buying a Mac from Costco ?
« on: 05 November, 2020, 04:58:42 pm »
My current iMac is 12 years old , it still does everything I need, but won't run their latest ios & the screen is showing noticeable image burn.    I'm edging towards the idea of getting a new one before Brexit tanks the pound & everything imported from the US costs more. 

The mid range of their current offerings is £1999.0  :jurek:     I can buy it through my employers discount scheme for £1879 or from Costco for £1840 with a 2 year warranty thrown in. 

Any reason not to go for the Costco deal ?    Has anyone  had dealings with their service dept for electronic stuff ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: Buying a Mac from Costco ?
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2020, 05:07:53 pm »
You can take it to an Apple Store for service whatever happens.

(apart from a deadly pandemic lockdown, obvs)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2020, 05:47:17 pm »
You should be able to check an Apple serial number online, for when they (Apple) think it's first year warranty runs out. However I guess you won't get a serial number until you get a machine. If it is a same spec machine as found on the Apple website, I can't see you'd go far wrong.

Bear in mind that a new machine will be running Catalina, and you probably cannot roll back to a previous OSX. Which means that 32bit software won't work. I'd check the software that you use regularly, or the is mission critical, to make sure it will run in Catalina.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:03:21 pm »
The only thing I'd be concerned about is Aperture,  which I've never stopped using.  Unsupported now,  but there is a hack to make it work on Catalina.

https://petapixel.com/2019/10/29/this-app-lets-you-use-apples-aperture-photo-editor-on-macos-catalina/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:18:29 pm »
And I can confirm that it works...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:41:35 pm »
Annoyingly they've not had the built in DVD drive for ages, so some of the saving will go towards one of those.   I don't have a TV so use it for watching stuff on as well.