Author Topic: Which Phone  (Read 2577 times)

Maladict

Which Phone
« on: 20 May, 2008, 11:18:54 pm »
I have found my Sony Ericsson k750i a bit limiting for accessing yACF on the go.  Particularly I keep getting logged out.

So I am looking for my next mobile 'phone.  I am tempted by the iPhone; a friend suggested I wait a bit and have a 3G one.

Any other thoughts?

Re: Which Phone
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2008, 12:01:48 am »
I think that's what his friend was telling him to wait for.

A Palm Treo was a friend's previous phone (before he got an iPenis) and he rated that highly.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

bobajobrob

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2008, 12:05:54 am »

Maladict

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2008, 12:10:51 am »
My friend has the N95.  Which he specifically said to avoid on account of the shit battery life.  Maybe the E70 is better.  It might well be that the 3G iPhone also has poor battery, since it could be the 3G's fault.

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2008, 12:11:42 am »
Set your email signature to be:

--
Sent from my iPhone.

and see how many emails you get back saying "Wow! You've got an iPhone!!!!!one!1!!one!". Even when the emails are so obviously sent from Lotus Notes.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2008, 02:08:28 am »
I've got the Nokia N95 8gb. Battery life is miles better than the standard N95 and turning off the 3G when not surfing improves it further. I get maybe 3 or 4 days out it now if I'm careful. It's not a huge deal to plug it in every night anyway and I've never run out of juice while out and about.

Lack of a proper keyboard while surfing can be a pain unless you have the texting skills of a 14 year old girl, and the build quality isn't that fantastic for such an expensive phone. I thought about an iPhone when I was upgrading last year but couldn't justify the £280 over and above the £35pm contract when I could get the Nokia for nowt. If I had the money though...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2008, 07:39:12 am »
Perceived wisdom is that iPhone 2 will be announced in early June and will have 3G and some business strength stuff like Exchange mail support. It will also be the time that the iPhone (models 1 and 2) are opened up for other applications. (Apple approved and managed :) ). Hopefully this will mean a database amongst many other things.

My view is that whatever it was that I paid for the thing in the first place has been more than paid back by the ease of use and syncing with my stuff on computer. However I am an Apple fan and this is probably down to the little pills they send me every three months labelled "Reality Distortion Field".

;D ;D ;D at GB

PS The camera in the iPhone 1 is crap though, even at taking photos of mushrooms in urinals.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2008, 08:16:09 am »
I gottan E90 and I like it a lot.  In fact it's probably what's prevented me from getting an eeePC.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:22:36 pm »
I just bought a 3G dongle. That plus an eeePC will be a good combo. 

Anyway, it'll tide me over when we move house for the 3n weeks it'll doubtless take to get broadband connected

« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:38:27 pm »
I want a new phone too. It has to be able to synch properly with Outlook, so I think that limits me to WM6. The choice is rather limited...

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:38:46 pm »
I've just moved to a Nokia N82.  So far so good.  I'm still getting used to it (only had it a few days) and playing all the time, so battery life isn't representative yet - I'm getting 3 days or so. When I stop playing with the toys, that should extend a little.  It's got all the stuff the N95 has, but it's a candy bar format, not a slider, so there's less to break.  The screen is marginally smaller, but that doesn't bother me.  Reasonable camera (5Mpixel, Zeiss lens, Xenon flash), Wi-Fi, 3G, bluetooth, USB port, GPS and Nokia Maps.  I've never really gone for the smartphone thing in the past, but this one seems OK.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:44:29 pm »
N82 is nifty looking.
How well does Nokia PC sync software work? Can it deal with the usual Outlook calendar stuff, cope with recurring appointments with missed occurrences etc?

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #12 on: 21 May, 2008, 10:57:31 pm »
Can't answer that, as I don't use Outlook.  The contacts sync to Outlook Express OK, which I don't normally use either, but at the moment I'm letting it do that until I get it talking to Linux.

In the past I've always used a separate PDA, and anything on a PC was a backup, not a really a sync.  Work still use paper rotas.  No I'm not joking: They allocate me using a computer programme, then export a .pdf of the coming week's bookings, and post it to me, with an email copy as backup.  Their system doesn't talk to Outlook or any other calendar system I could use, so if I want it in my electronic systems I have to enter it by hand.  My timesheets have to be done by hand too.  In triplicate. 

Welcome to the 21st century's cutting edge communications systems...   ::-)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2008, 04:05:47 pm »
I have an O2 XDA Orbit, with Windows Mobile 6 installed. I think there's faster, sleeker versions of the same thing now (the Orbit is a rebadged HTC P3300), but it's quite nice, albeit slow.

It has a touchscreen, GPS, GPRS, camera, WiFi etc, and the battery life is reasonable.

It's nowhere near as slick as the iPhone - Windows Mobile feels a bit like going back to Windows 95 or 98, but it does have the advantage that it's not all locked up so there's a lot of software out there you can put on it. And of course it has GPS.

I've not actually tried reading yacf on it yet, but the built-in internet explorer for it seems okay for most websites, and you can also download Opera for it.

If you're prepared to put up with Windows Mobile, there's quite a lot of options out there depending on the features you want that you may not get on the iPhone (e.g. GPS, flick-out keyboards, 3G etc). The user experience however is not as smooth, although some vendors have added their own iPhone-like interfaces on top of Windows Mobile.

« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2008, 05:56:02 pm »
I have an XDA stellar, windows mobile 6, gps gprs 3g hdscm (or summat ;D)  slidy outy keyboard camera wifi bluetooth media player , decent screen etc etc

It works really well as a phone too ;D.  I run TomTom navigator on it, log in and get my home emails, send texts and photos, and log on to yACF :thumbsup:. I also work on word and excel stuff and have probably 10 or 12 other programs on it, all in a pckage thats the same size as my nokia phone but 1/2 an inch wider.
Not as flash or as cool as a Iphone though