Author Topic: Hardy - Printing plus Quicken  (Read 2630 times)

Hardy - Printing plus Quicken
« on: 24 May, 2008, 05:38:38 am »
Will you successful Hardy users kindly advise which Printing method you are using? I installed KDE? and it recognises my Printer and states everything OK. But Print? no way and I cannot understand why?

As regards Quicken which I have used for many years, at least 2 Linux utilities state that they can import Quicken but like my Printer it just doesn't happen!

As usual all help gratefully received ;)
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

border-rider

Re: Hardy - Printing plus Quicken
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2008, 10:09:34 am »
As with Win, printers either work out of the box, or you need to install the drivers.

The best thing is to google the name of your pinter plus "Kubuntu" (or "Ubuntu - the GUI probably doesn't matter) and see what experiences others have had. 

I have a Canon printer, and it required  a little bit of command line tweaking to set it up, but now it works just fine.

I just googled Quicken, and I'd agree that there's likely not much that will do the exact same job in Ubuntu, which means that even if you import the files it mightn't help you too much.  The options seem to be to run  it in a virtual machine or to use Crossover Office to run it

Roopesh’s Blog » Quicken working in Linux

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2008, 10:20:59 am »
Try Quicken with Wine/Crossover Office first. However, our accounts package (VT Transaction) would not run in Wine so I have to use it in a VM. This is no problem in itself, except I cannot claim my computer is completely windoze-free. And, yes, I did buy a license!
Pen Pusher

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2008, 10:25:22 am »
That link I posted ^ indicates that Quicken 2007 (at least) won't work under Wine but will under CO.

« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2008, 10:26:37 am »
Hardy like most Linux distributions and in fact most Unix systems including I think MAC OSX use CUPS as their printing system. Take a look at the CUPS documentation and see if you can do some test prints direct from CUPS rather than from the KDE front end then you will know at least where the problem is.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2008, 01:37:20 pm »
Thanks everybody. My Printer, a Brother DCP 115 C doesn't appear to be supported anywhere. Looks like I have to use a VM which hopefully will solve my Scanning programme as well. Do I install into Hardy or Windows? and where from?

Sorry for my numpty questions but you lot are my only source for  help :thumbsup:

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2008, 02:16:38 pm »
someone here got a DCP 115 C working

Brother DCP-110C Printer not working on Ubuntu Feisty - LinuxQuestions.org

(I know the thread is about a 110 but it discusses 115 also)

If you do need a VM, you need to install some VM ware under Ubuntu and then install a copy of Win inside that.  Crossover office would be easier if it's just the Quicken issue.

« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2008, 06:38:53 pm »
I think VM is best for me but that thread was very interesting.

Cheers.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #8 on: 24 May, 2008, 09:33:41 pm »
I think VM is best for me but that thread was very interesting.

Cheers.

I'm certainly impressed with the way my VM works :). When I specc'd my machine I made sure I had plenty of RAM because a) I knew I would have to run my scanner from a VM and b) I would need enough RAM for dealing with the scanned images. I went for 4GB ;D.

I run VirtualBox. For some reason VMWare, which I tried first, wouldn't install (core dump).
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #9 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:50:06 am »
Another piece of info:

There's a configuration fie that needs to be edited (un-commenting a few lines) to get full support for USB devices in VirtualBox. I'll dig out the doc and post its link.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #10 on: 25 May, 2008, 05:40:36 pm »
Thanks. I have just downloaded VBox from Sun but I can't see a help file to guide me. I understand that I have to install XP within it but have no idea of the procedure. Step by step would be a great help

Lots of head scratching at the moment ;D

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #11 on: 25 May, 2008, 06:27:53 pm »
Y'know, I can't remember how you do it. This is probably because it was pretty straightforward so no details have stuck in my head. Well, apart from the xp installation being painfully slow, unlike that of Ubuntu ;D.

IIRC, you install VB, set up the VM, pop the xp install CD in the drive, do something to tell VB to use the CD drive and away it goes. I'm not on my Ubuntu box at the moment (Puppy Linux on my old IBM Thinkpad in the kitchen ;)) but I'll see if I have any documentation when I'm back on.
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #12 on: 25 May, 2008, 06:36:14 pm »
Another piece of info:

There's a configuration fie that needs to be edited (un-commenting a few lines) to get full support for USB devices in VirtualBox. I'll dig out the doc and post its link.

It's here:
User_FAQ - VirtualBox
Pen Pusher

« Reply #13 on: 26 May, 2008, 06:18:17 am »
Thanks again. I don't have much spare time at the moment but keep trying to solve the installation and how to use it. I noted that there is a users Manual mentioned and will download it. I have printed your link so I don't forget the details.

Cheers, if at first you don't succeed etc :P