Author Topic: Any BT Broadband users?  (Read 2837 times)

bobajobrob

Any BT Broadband users?
« on: 02 June, 2008, 10:39:12 am »
I have installed Linux on my parents' PC, but they forgot to tell me that they have a USB modem (actually I forgot to ask). Of course this modem (Voyager 105) doesn't work on Linux withouts lots of messing around. I've got a modem/router that will work but I need the username and password for the DSL connection. Will this be in the paperwork somewhere or do I have to call BT to get it? I've read that the username is in the format something@btbroandband.com

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Any BT Broadband users?
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:51:13 am »
I have BT broadband. I am almost computer illiterate so I might not be able to help.
I have a BT hub (not the Home Hub, which only has 2 ethernet ports, insufficient for us), which is connected to David's computer and the phone line in his room, and I have an ethernet cable which goes into the hub, as does our network printer.
The hub then blasts out a radio connection, which serves the various laptops which float around here.
We have no USB connections.
I am on Option 3, the expensive tarriff, as my David uses a Mac and I use blonde Microsnot PCs.
My BT email address is myname@btinternet.com.
I think David has some sort of password hidden amangst the spaghetti in his room, to to which I have little access.

« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2008, 10:52:05 am »
It's definitely in the paperwork somewhere - I had a similar issue.

If you do end up calling BT, you may consider banging your head against the nearest wall first. It won't be a pleasurable or useful experience!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

bobajobrob

« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:10:08 am »
OK thanks.

It seems like they had BT broadband before they started dishing out the ethernet modems/routers. It was about 3 years ago when they got it. I wonder if there's any mileage in asking BT for an ethernet modem/router.

Thanks, that's useful to know.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2008, 11:12:39 am »
OK thanks.

It seems like they had BT broadband before they started dishing out the ethernet modems/routers. It was about 3 years ago when they got it. I wonder if there's any mileage in asking BT for an ethernet modem/router.

Thanks, that's useful to know.

They'll probably dish out their Home Hub free if you sell your parents' soul to them for 18 months...

bobajobrob

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:03:30 pm »
The home hub device does look pretty nifty :thumbsup: Dad says he's going to get talk talk broadband though, because it's cheaper. He uses talk talk for calls already.

Jakob

« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:06:49 pm »
I recently changed from BT to Be, but I used a standard DSL-modem/router with my BT connnection.

bobajobrob

« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:52:14 pm »
My dad's found his username - it is something like user@btbroadband.com. Apparently on the letter it says no password is required for the ADSL connection, is that right? Actually, that ties up with something I read on the 'net.

bobajobrob

« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2008, 12:54:46 pm »
I recently changed from BT to Be, but I used a standard DSL-modem/router with my BT connnection.

Cool, thanks. Can you remember if it required a password for the DSL connection or just a username?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2008, 01:48:18 pm »
My dad has TalkTalk for his broadband.
Something does not work. His computer expert spent the whole day trying to sort things out last Thursday. He spent hours on the phone to some sort of helpdesk.
Having converted my parents' dining room to Spaghetti Junction, we managed an internet connection of about 30 seconds before the little green light labelled 'link' stopped flickering and went out.
The line seems incurably flaky.
I am not impressed.

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2008, 01:59:22 pm »

Cool, thanks. Can you remember if it required a password for the DSL connection or just a username?

Mine didn't, except with a Mac, where it was '1'.

Edit: though one modem I had wouldn't work without a password. '1' worked then.

Jakob

« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2008, 02:00:08 pm »

I don't think so, since it's coming in on your phoneline, but to be honest, I didn't need to touch after first setting it up, some 3+ years ago, so I can't remember!.

« Reply #12 on: 02 June, 2008, 03:27:15 pm »
I had to troubleshoot a BT broadband recently.  That definitely had a user@btwotsit username AND a password set on the router (non USB).  Fortunately the user knew his password, and was able to guess the admin user ID and password to get onto the router config itself.

« Reply #13 on: 02 June, 2008, 03:32:45 pm »
I had to troubleshoot a BT broadband recently.  That definitely had a user@btwotsit username AND a password set on the router (non USB).  Fortunately the user knew his password, and was able to guess the admin user ID and password to get onto the router config itself.

Work's BTconnect and that does require a password. Home is BTBroadband. They appear to have little connection with one another.

« Reply #14 on: 02 June, 2008, 03:36:22 pm »
My home BT Broadband setup (using a BT Homehub) didn't require entering any username or password info.

Looking at the advanced config page I see:-

Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password: Not Configured
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #15 on: 02 June, 2008, 03:49:51 pm »
My DSL connection uses broadband.user@btbroadband.com
A password is not required, but my D-Link router complains if I leave the password field blank, so I typed in anything (a swear word, I think...)  ::-)
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

bobajobrob

« Reply #16 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:37:08 pm »
Huzzah! I stuck in the username and a blank password, hit connect and it did. Mum's been on the internet checking her email. Thanks all.