Author Topic: Easy Beginners Group Ride Around Didcot  (Read 354 times)

Easy Beginners Group Ride Around Didcot
« on: 21 April, 2024, 05:33:34 pm »
I may have a chance to lead a beginners ride consisting of a few colleagues during Bike Week.

I am thinking of an easy (flat) circular max. 15-mile ride starting and finishing at Didcot Parkway.

Is there something anyone could recommend?  A .gpx file would be fantastic, if possible.

Re: Easy Beginners Group Ride Around Didcot
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2024, 09:17:18 pm »
The couple of Audaxes I've done that passed by Didcot Parkway would suggest starting somewhere else as there are no nice roads in that immediate vicinity.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2024, 10:35:03 pm »
Thanks, freeflow - good to know.

What about Cholsey? - always looks to charming when passing by on the intercity to Bristol...

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2024, 08:56:48 am »
Best thing to do would be to go scout out a route on your bike. Only so much you’ll get from a GPX rather than a route you’ve actually ridden. If they are beginners, even at 15 miles, you may want a cafe stop.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2024, 10:41:34 am »
Cholsey: ask Phil D, or whoever runs the Upper Thames Audax from Cholsey in November. Or mattc?

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2024, 11:52:50 am »
Best thing to do would be to go scout out a route on your bike. Only so much you’ll get from a GPX rather than a route you’ve actually ridden. If they are beginners, even at 15 miles, you may want a cafe stop.

Yes, I would definitely be planning to do a recce in advance.  Just interested in some ideas, and a cafe or pub stop is a must.

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2024, 01:24:17 pm »
Whilst Didcot is a bit average, there are some unexpectedly pleasant villages nearby. I'd suggest something like Didcot - East Hagbourne - Astons - Moretons and loop north back to Didcot. If you turn left from the station there is a decent cycle path, this continues to Hagbourne if you cross at the roundabout. There is also a cycle route back into Didcot from the north, I've never tried this one but am told it can be muddy.

For a pub stop there is a community owned pub at South Moreton, no experience of it but if it's community owned it shouldn't be bad.

But take the advice elsewhere and do a recce.

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2024, 02:25:34 pm »
Thanks Rod - looks promising! :thumbsup: