Author Topic: Josh Quigley  (Read 2171 times)

Josh Quigley
« on: 23 December, 2019, 07:32:50 am »
Sad news. Sorry I can't copy thé link with thé téléphone but thé BBC has thé story.
GWS Josh

Re: Josh Quigley
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2019, 07:52:34 am »
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2019, 10:12:09 am »
Bad news, but he's looking OK.

That newspaper link ate all my RAM before I gave up on it. You can hear from the horse's mouth more quickly here:
https://twitter.com/JoshQuigley92/status/1209029570994659328

... and maybe give him some encouragement :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2019, 10:36:36 am »
I am honestly scared to be a cyclist now. I have yet to be in a collision but have had some close scrapes from neglectful drivers while riding in London, and once on an audax. I get the feeling it is just a matter of time before I'm maimed or killed. I visited my dad several times in hospital when I was growing up.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2019, 10:40:23 am »
Being scared is understandable - but it's often irrational. Go lookup some stats - you'd be unlucky to find any that show cycling to be much more dangerous than driving or walking!

Stay safe, and try to stop worrying  :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

bludger

« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2019, 11:04:25 am »
I know that statistically cycling is pretty safe but I'm an outlier cyclist who does cycling in rural areas, in the dark, over long mileage. I am planning on trying to do the Festive 500 but mostly think about doing Regents Park laps on safety grounds - hopefully fewer drunken hoons speeding about it.

Ban cars.

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 23 December, 2019, 01:31:52 pm »
I know that statistically cycling is pretty safe but I'm an outlier cyclist who does cycling in rural areas, in the dark, over long mileage. I am planning on trying to do the Festive 500 but mostly think about doing Regents Park laps on safety grounds - hopefully fewer drunken hoons speeding about it.

Stats also show vast majority of collisions are in 30mph areas and often where a car pulls out across a cyclist.  This may simply be an artefact of more people cycling in towns and not so many in the lanes.

I kind of agree with the theory of big

http://www.tibsnjoan.co.uk/Big.html

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 23 December, 2019, 04:29:02 pm »
Statistically safe yes, but how much of that is down to the avoidance behaviour of cyclists vs safe driving?  I had a very near miss today on my ride to my hospotal clinic, at a location where I've seen several incidents in the past.

Down the hill towards the station in Ely, there is a road emerging from the left, which also tends to end up with a lot of traffic turning right into it.  I'm sure the Ovlov driver must have ben thinking about the safety stats of his car and passenger when he decided to turn right across me as I was doing about 30km/h.  Both anchors on, slightly damp road and an immediate lock up and skid in a very squirmy manner to miss his passenger door by inches.

It must have been my yellow hi-invisibility jacket again.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

bludger

« Reply #8 on: 23 December, 2019, 04:40:23 pm »
I feel safe on audaxes as I know the organisers have risk assessed the route. I don't know if AUK have reports on safety stats of AUK riders. It would be interesting to compare them to wider UK cycling stats.

Ban cars.

Chris S

« Reply #9 on: 23 December, 2019, 05:21:33 pm »
I am honestly scared to be a cyclist now. I have yet to be in a collision but have had some close scrapes from neglectful drivers while riding in London, and once on an audax. I get the feeling it is just a matter of time before I'm maimed or killed. I visited my dad several times in hospital when I was growing up.

I have developed a general unease in recent years. I "ride" a lot indoors, and will more than likely choose to ride off-road when I do venture outside; since moving to Durham, I've now a lot more choice of off-road routes, that are much more moderate than the NYMs.

My reticence for outdoor riding is completely irrational, I accept that. I've had no more incidents than I had when I was riding more than 10,000 kilometers a year, but I often feel pretty twitchy when I hear traffic coming up behind me, and I've had a couple of occasions when I was properly spooked when a loud motorbike came screaming past. I've always hated loud noises behind me - ever since I was a kid. For a long time it wasn't a factor, but it seems it is again these days.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 23 December, 2019, 05:42:08 pm »
I can completely understand that.  I really hate riding in towns as there are far too many impatient motorists and unobservant pedestrians.  I had to ride in Cambridge for a bit today and I find it generally very nerve-racking, but get out onto the back lanes around here and it's a different story.  I have roads I can ride on for fifteen miles and not see a car sometimes
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #11 on: 24 December, 2019, 12:17:27 pm »
It's less that I expect to necessarily die when I get on a bike (even though I have), but I find there's a small motivational hurdle to get over each morning I drag the bike out of the garage. More often it's the thought of the small random acts of unkindness that drivers favour us with. The close passes, the aggressive overtakes, the needless honk on the horn, just the general lack of courtesy and refusal to view me as another actual human being, be it through ignorance or purpose because they know they can get away with it. It's a bit depressing that it's routine (leastways, when cycling through the badlands of south London) to the point that I can guarantee there'll be something on a ride (and I can usually make a good guess on which sections of my route it'll happen on).

After a decade or so, things seem a bit better in central London, but there's a gradient of worseness as you head out into the burbs. One thing I've noticed a lot more of is the excessive speeding, not just a couple of miles over the limit, but hammering it down narrow, heavily parked roads (which gives any cyclist the heebiejeebies). Unrelated, of course, to the total abrogation of road policing.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #13 on: 02 January, 2020, 10:07:27 pm »
Quote from: The article
"The crash investigation is complete and concludes it was an accident, Sgt Washko said. "It was not an intentional act so no charges have been filed."

Oh, that's fine then  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1