Author Topic: giro d'italia 2012  (Read 12048 times)

Re: giro d'italia 2012
« Reply #50 on: 11 May, 2012, 07:28:52 pm »
Cav must at the very best been feeling "Uncomfortable" with an arse like this:

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #51 on: 11 May, 2012, 11:01:23 pm »
Yeah, G can add "world-class leadout man" to his growing list of talents.  ;D

He was doing that in the Giro and the Tour last season. What fills me with even more expectation is that he was alongside Wiggins in the mountains as well - although with his track work this year I doubt we'll see that in this year's Giro.

« Reply #52 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:10:07 pm »
FFS, not again!

(click to show/hide)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #53 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »
Pozzato. What a wally.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #54 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:27:31 pm »
What's happened to Wiggo ?  I see no mention of him anywhere.
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

« Reply #55 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:35:55 pm »
Yeah, and Cadel Evans is going a bit slow too!

(NB serious answer: they - and a few other big names - are saving themselves for France.)

d.

« Reply #57 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:42:42 pm »

(NB serious answer: they - and a few other big names - are saving themselves for France.)

d.

Have they withdrawn from the Giro then ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #58 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:48:16 pm »

d.

The main contenders for the Tour will be riding the Dauphine Libere, they don't tend to ride the Giro these days.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/criterium-du-dauphine-with-same-teams-as-tour-de-france

citoyen

« Reply #59 on: 14 May, 2012, 05:34:42 pm »

They were never in it. Giving the other squad members a chance to shine.

Evans, Wiggins, Andy Schleck, Nibali, Martin, Gesink, Menchov, Sanchez, Brajkovic, Voeckler, Taarame, Valverde... all saving themselves for France.

d.

« Reply #60 on: 14 May, 2012, 06:03:56 pm »
Blimey. I'm losing it then. I could have sworn I read something about Wiggo in this.

Call a doctor !!
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #61 on: 14 May, 2012, 09:35:41 pm »
it was quite a gentle crash this time (at least for Cavendish). Looks like the Liquigas rider completely misjudged the corner and took out the guy from Katusha who was, I must say, taking the corner in an unorthodox fashion. But anyone taking the outside lane was in the wrong spot, including Cavendish (and a bunch of other sprinters).

fuzzy

« Reply #62 on: 15 May, 2012, 12:45:45 pm »
The thing is, with the camera angles I saw, I just couldn't tell what carnage was developing at the front of the peleton. I saw a lead rider overcooking it a bit but still in a position to get around the corner in combination with a rear ending for a rider coming in to camera shot. There was enough time I think to suggest that maybe Cav and others were taking the wide line to try and avoid the developing tangle of bikes and legs.

citoyen

« Reply #63 on: 15 May, 2012, 01:04:13 pm »
Interestingly, Pozzato has blamed Goss for braking going into the corner. Hard to tell with the cameras missing most of the run-up to the corner, but it looked to me like Goss had the racing line, and was ahead of Pozzato, and Pozzato overcooked it trying to come inside him. Pozzato's fault, surely? Perhaps 50:50, to be fair, if Goss really did brake, as Pozzato claims (though I find it hard to believe).

Either way, these are highly experienced bike handlers, who no doubt cut their racing teeth on courses with bends like that in criterions, and once again, it was a schoolboy error that shouldn't really be happening at this level.

d.

« Reply #64 on: 15 May, 2012, 01:26:01 pm »
Why bother to include a bend like that so close to the finish and then not remove the trees which prevent an overhead view of the ensuing carnage?

« Reply #65 on: 15 May, 2012, 03:59:26 pm »
Superbly scenic finish today and a young lad nearly butchering the top riders ;).

citoyen

« Reply #66 on: 15 May, 2012, 04:06:10 pm »
Breathtaking racing, stunning setting, entirely predictable result...

d.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #67 on: 16 May, 2012, 05:10:12 pm »
So Ferrari's won a stage.

Stick your hand up if you think he shouldn't be in the race  ::-)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #68 on: 16 May, 2012, 05:20:10 pm »
He screwed up. He was punished. He hasn't screwed up since. He has a long way to go to redeem himself but today he rode it perfectly (unlike Kennaugh who will be feeling rather less than brilliant having managed to screw that leadout up royally)

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #69 on: 16 May, 2012, 05:39:51 pm »
I don't think it was the leadout train's fault. The finish was terrible - the proximity of the last 90 deg bend to the line meant that only the first 2 or 3 riders out of the corner would have a chance of winning. I think Cav was a bit too far back going in to the corner, and might have had to touch the brakes.

« Reply #70 on: 16 May, 2012, 05:56:12 pm »
Ha! I knew picking him for my fantasy team was a good move  :P

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #71 on: 16 May, 2012, 08:13:01 pm »
It was a poor leadout. Kennaugh went too fast, then G clipped a pedal. Cav was stalled, Ferrari got a free run.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #72 on: 16 May, 2012, 08:33:39 pm »
There's a difference between a Tour sprint and a Giro sprint. In the tour the finish is usually on a long wide straight road. In the giro it can be very winding with multiple sharp corners during the last kilometer. Nothing new. Today Ferrari proved to be a lot better at studying the finish and cornering. The Skytrain is superb on a typical Tour mass sprint. For the Giro they might consider rearranging their leadout schedule for such finishes and use the guys with the best cornering for the final kilometer. It's the second time that they're taking the wrong line in the final corner (two days ago Cavendish was also taking the wrong line, the inner line proved to be much better).

fuzzy

« Reply #73 on: 17 May, 2012, 08:27:40 am »
It looked to me like Cav had it spot on for his ride- he would have got through the corner and been off like the missile he is but the 2 riders directly ahead of him got it slightly wrong and he was stalled. Ferrari was in the right place on the right line and did him.

citoyen

« Reply #74 on: 17 May, 2012, 11:12:08 am »
I had to take a phone call just as they came inside 2km to go, so although I had half an eye on the screen, I couldn't really follow what was going on. Up to that point, it looked like Cav had it sewn up, so I was a bit confused when he seemed to ease off before the final bend. Still not sure exactly what happened but never mind - not even Cav can win them all. And at least he stayed upright (I wonder if the stage nine finish had made him a bit more cautious approaching the bend?).

Interesting to see him still make an effort though - in the past, he probably would have sat up and finished in the bunch, but he obviously realised that Goss was nowhere and the red jersey was up for grabs. Clever boy.  :thumbsup:

d.