Author Topic: Bikes on Eurostar  (Read 3347 times)

Bikes on Eurostar
« on: 04 April, 2019, 01:49:03 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of getting bikes on the Eurostar from Lille to London?
I just spoke to Eurodespatch to try to book 2 bikes on this journey but they said you couldn’t book bikes from Lille, it is just a ‘walk on service’ and they couldn’t tell me availability. I’m not sure I fully understand what this means in practice so can anyone help?

Thanks.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Re: Bikes on Eurostar
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2019, 04:04:07 pm »
That's right, the train only makes a brief stop at Lille with no time to load bikes.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2019, 04:27:10 pm »
I've put a bike on at Lille, two years ago.  When we did it (five of us) my chum who did the organisation, had spaces booked.  We rocked up at the station, handed the bikes over to the tender care of some railway employees and went to drink beer*.  When the time came to get on the train, we spied our bikes in the care of the railway bods at the correct place on the platform so they could be hurled on to the train.

* we also watched a drunk man piss over the edge of the balcony, fortunately missing the OLE cables.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2019, 12:25:53 pm »
Thanks all. In the end, we couldn’t be arsed to deal with the hassle so we are going to cycle to Dunkirk or maybe Calais and just rock up and buy a ticket. I’m pretty sure you don’t have to book if just a foot passenger with a bike.

« Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2019, 01:35:23 pm »
That's the way I would do it with a loaded bike.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2019, 03:19:27 pm »
Thanks all. In the end, we couldn’t be arsed to deal with the hassle so we are going to cycle to Dunkirk or maybe Calais and just rock up and buy a ticket. I’m pretty sure you don’t have to book if just a foot passenger with a bike.

The ticket office for the Dunkirk sailing is inside the port. You'll have to follow the traffic route through passport control, then keep following the line to a small booth/barrier, tell the person there that you need to buy a dfds ticket, and they open the barrier, and point you to a small hut.

At least, that's what it was last time I used it, it may have changed, YMMV etc...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2019, 03:38:29 pm »
Just found out something odd: DFDS from Dunkirk or Calais to Dover is for vehicles only, no foot passengers, but a cyclist counts as a vehicle, so that’s all right then.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2019, 03:40:53 pm »
That is weird. I'm getting the ferry from Dunkirk back to Dover on Sunday night. Bit pissed off as I want to stay in Roubaix to watch the race but I fret that won't leave enough time to cycle to the port (allowing time for mechanicals), and it isn't clear if I'd be sure of getting a bike on a train to Dunkirk in that region.

Dropped the SNCF an email asking about it but predictably they've ignored it. Oh well can always watch the highlights at home...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2019, 04:14:13 pm »
Why wouldn't you? Apart from TGVs, French trains are very bike friendly. Here's the page for TER trains in the relevant region:

https://www.ter.sncf.com/hauts-de-france/gares/ter-intermodalite/combinez-vos-deplacements/train-et-velo

It says bikes allowed on all TER trains but avoid rush hours if you're not using a folded/disassembled bike.

« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2019, 05:45:44 pm »
Just found out something odd: DFDS from Dunkirk or Calais to Dover is for vehicles only, no foot passengers, but a cyclist counts as a vehicle, so that’s all right then.
They load the bikes on the same way as cars etc so guess there is just no passenger only gangway. Did Dunkirk to Dover with the bike last year, was good and easy, except food facilities in Dunkirk terminal were terrible. I was in need of post ride snacks. They only had snack machines and none of them were working. Food on the boat was good though

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2019, 10:05:03 pm »
Why wouldn't you? Apart from TGVs, French trains are very bike friendly. Here's the page for TER trains in the relevant region:

https://www.ter.sncf.com/hauts-de-france/gares/ter-intermodalite/combinez-vos-deplacements/train-et-velo

It says bikes allowed on all TER trains but avoid rush hours if you're not using a folded/disassembled bike.

Problem is I don't know what the demand will be like. It's the evening of Paris Roubaix, the train might be packed with people who've done the sportive the day before and I might not be able to get a spot for the bike on a train that permits arrival at Dunkirk in time for the ferry
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 10 April, 2019, 10:27:30 pm »
That's right, the train only makes a brief stop at Lille with no time to load bikes.

Not quite true.  You can book bikes on to Eurostar from Lille - I’ve done it myself (as has Tim’s chum). 

The real pain in the arse can be if you rock up for the ‘walk up’ option, where you may find yourself having to partially dismantle the bike to get it through the x-ray machine.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #12 on: 10 April, 2019, 10:29:50 pm »

The TGVs are getting better as well.  There’s now bike spaces on the newer models - although booking them is a bit hit and miss. 

Green Party Councillor

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13 on: 10 April, 2019, 10:42:05 pm »
They load the bikes on the same way as cars etc so guess there is just no passenger only gangway. Did Dunkirk to Dover with the bike last year, was good and easy, except food facilities in Dunkirk terminal were terrible. I was in need of post ride snacks. They only had snack machines and none of them were working. Food on the boat was good though

On the Cairnryan-Larne ferry, foot passengers jump on a bus which then drives them on the ferry, and off the other side.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #14 on: 11 April, 2019, 08:18:23 pm »

Not quite true.  You can book bikes on to Eurostar from Lille - I’ve done it myself (as has Tim’s chum). 

That’s not what Eurodespatch told me, they refused to take my booking- unless there is some other way to book a bike onto Eurostar.

Regulator

« Reply #15 on: 11 April, 2019, 09:22:31 pm »

That’s not what Eurodespatch told me, they refused to take my booking- unless there is some other way to book a bike onto Eurostar.

You can book it as registered luggage between London - Lille - London, via EuroDespatch.

I’ve not found EuroDespatch that good on the phone/online. They’re best in the flesh if you can get to one of their offices.  The guys in Lille were really helpful. 

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #16 on: 12 April, 2019, 10:18:12 pm »
London to Lille yes, did that myself a couple of years ago but not the other way round, at least not one way. But that was over the phone. Anyway, it doesn’t matter now.