Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 397843 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #3225 on: 19 November, 2023, 06:54:36 am »
GN: There's a free mini-bar in my hotel room.

BN: As it's Kuwait that also means it's alcohol free

« Reply #3226 on: 22 November, 2023, 03:17:45 pm »
BN the new tyres for my bike I missed the delivery and is a day my immediate neighbours weren't in

GN I think after putting through an we will reattempt delivery card they then saw the people who live opposite as was a second card saying was left at number accross the road. Can't tell if cards came separately as our dog walker had been in and put cards on stairs

GN home early from work so could fit tyres

BN accross Road neighbours appear to be out

« Reply #3228 on: 23 November, 2023, 04:51:02 pm »
GN:  I have a ticket to see some chap called Fiennes play Macbeth in Liverpool tonight.

BN:  I'm feeling tired & lethargic,  which is an improvement on yesterday when I was tired, lethargic & shivery.   Covid tests negative, but I think I'll be masking up for the show.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3229 on: 02 December, 2023, 12:51:34 pm »
GN I've spent an hour or so chainsawing and splitting wood for the wood burner which should keep us going for a while

BN some of the wood I had picked up was too rotten to be any use (the tree had been felled as was going over)

BN2 then had to go and dispatch one of our chickens which was ill

« Reply #3230 on: 08 December, 2023, 05:51:28 pm »
On Thursday my dentist X-rayed me & told me to come back in a year for my next check up.

Today’s lunch involved pork crackling.  A large fragment of molar sheared off.  I’ve a feeling this is going to be expensive & painful to repair….

Tooth repaired & she re-opened the account from last week & only charged me the difference!    She said if it fails again a crown might be required,  that tooth is about 75% filling!

Guess what happened yesterday......     not the same tooth but a chunk sheared off another rear molar.  Crusty sourdough to blame this time.    :facepalm:

Dental appointment next week.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #3231 on: 08 December, 2023, 07:56:26 pm »

Guess what happened yesterday......     not the same tooth but a chunk sheared off another rear molar.  Crusty sourdough to blame this time.    :facepalm:

Don't blame the sourdough, blame your occlusion (the relationship between upper and lower teeth position. The two fractures are related, even though they might be in completely different parts of the mouth.

When your lumpy bumpy back teeth slide over each other whilst chewing or grinding in regular patterns of movement they are guided by a particular lump on one of the teeth. Once that bit fractures off then the 'guidance' moves to somewhere else in the mouth and, if that bit isn't so strong (teeth usually weakened by previous dental work) then that breaks, too - often soon afterwards. It's uncommon for it to happen more than twice in succession, but it can do.

You can demonstrate this to yourself: if you clench on your back teeth together then slowly grind off to one side you will feel a contact/slide somewhere between the upper and lower teeth as you slowly move. It might be on the same or on the other side from the one you're moving towards (it's the bottom jaw that moves, remember, and don't go back and forth, just slowly one way from the central position). You can try the same but going the other way now.
In an ideal occlusion the guidance is on your canine teeth - canine guidance - which are very robust and hardly ever break but, depending on your jaw shape and the progressive wear of your canines, it might end up being on your filled back teeth which are prone to breaking.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #3232 on: 08 December, 2023, 08:20:25 pm »
Interesting.  It’s the molar below the previously repaired one, but the bit came off the other side.  I’d been feeling a horizontal ridge or crack there for a couple of weeks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3233 on: 08 December, 2023, 09:05:49 pm »
Ah!  That explains the weird shape of my lower right canine.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3234 on: 08 December, 2023, 09:49:15 pm »
Partner's deciduous lower canine decided to leave his mouth last year, after progressive loosening. He was 58 at the time. There is no permanent successor to this.
I'm not sure if his current woes are related to this.

My Ancient Mum still has a couple of 'milk' teeth...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3235 on: 08 December, 2023, 10:42:33 pm »
my canines are very blunt these days
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #3236 on: 09 December, 2023, 08:55:08 am »
Partner's deciduous lower canine decided to leave his mouth last year, after progressive loosening. He was 58 at the time. There is no permanent successor to this.

Deciduous canines are so small they don't take on the same 'canine guidance' role so your partner's guidance will have been somewhere else in their mouth (this can predispose to TMJ or jaw joint problems but that's not inevitable).

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #3237 on: 09 December, 2023, 09:01:05 am »
my canines are very blunt these days

After reading your post in a different thread, I'm not surprised

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3238 on: 09 December, 2023, 10:27:35 am »
 :D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3239 on: 09 December, 2023, 10:30:05 am »
Deciduous canines are so small they don't take on the same 'canine guidance' role so your partner's guidance will have been somewhere else in their mouth (this can predispose to TMJ or jaw joint problems but that's not inevitable).

No TMJ stuff AFAIK. Woes have been mostly due to trouble in isolated molars. One extraction & implant last year and crown fitting on tooth that broke imminent. Old milk tooth was out of line with others and VERY worn; nice root though!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3240 on: 09 December, 2023, 10:44:18 am »
GN: I am at Scout camp, with a bunch of wonderful inspiring Young People.
BN: The little sods woke at $TOO_EARLY and were Very Loud.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3241 on: 18 December, 2023, 12:31:58 pm »
Hurrah: Last Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle shopping trip of the year :thumbsup:

Bah: No 1-pint wossnames of semi-skilled milk to be had even for ready money >:(  Not even poncey organic Stuffs.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3242 on: 18 December, 2023, 04:53:14 pm »
GN. Expecting a hefty bill, I attended my Optician today and was told don't need new specs atm.

BN. My venerable Altec Lansing sound system which I use for my PC is dying, the sub bass has now given up altogether and the volume control is playing up. Most odd, is that when pressing the incorporated test button all speakers sound, but ho hum. What's more the kit is only thirty or so years old.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3243 on: 22 December, 2023, 05:24:15 pm »
GN: After much vacillation on the parts of senior managers, my role has been reviewed and upgraded. A decent pay rise ensues.

BN: I was on the top scale point of the previous grade and that isn't recognised, so I'm back to the bottom of the scale for the new grade. Especially galling to my colleague with 16 years' service who's now paid the same as another colleague who started two months ago.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3244 on: 22 December, 2023, 05:39:37 pm »
Surely being at the bottom of the next scale up is good cos there's more room for future pay rises?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3245 on: 22 December, 2023, 06:44:58 pm »
Well, it was wishful thinking that I'd jump up 4 scale points and it's a pleasant 7% pay rise anyway...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3246 on: 04 January, 2024, 06:50:27 pm »
GN - I re-waxed my Maharishi waxed cotton jacket about a year and a half ago.

BN - The left shoulder continues to leak, exacerbated  by tonight's foul conditions.
GN - Under the kitchen sink, I have found the remnants of a tin of Barbour wax, which will be deftly deployed once the moisture has evaporated from the surface of the jacket.

« Reply #3247 on: 13 January, 2024, 11:55:59 am »
BN.  A frantic text message last night.  My parent's fridge-freezer appears to have died, and the freezer was full to the brim with expensive goodies.

GN. I have an empty freezer in my kitchen, unused since I ran down my pandemic stockpile.   I turned that on overnight & this morning my sister turned up in a taxi with an unfeasibly large number of bags.  These are now safely ensconced in Mr Zanussi.

BN. Sister started running a finger over worktops & shelves and commenting on the layers of dust...  :facepalm:

« Reply #3248 on: 13 January, 2024, 12:40:40 pm »
One of my fridge magnets says "You can touch the dust, but please don't write in it."  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3249 on: 13 January, 2024, 12:48:21 pm »
One of my fridge magnets says "You can touch the dust, but please don't write in it."  :demon:

Mrs Barakta's-Mum has one of those.  This Unit endorses this product, service or sentiment.