Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625595 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2075 on: 17 July, 2012, 06:50:02 am »
O2, the service delivered by your UK-based call centre really is jolly good, though I have had cause to phone it quite a lot recently :( and one thing irritates me every time. Before I get to speak to you, I have to enter my phone number. What is the first question I am asked by the friendly drone? Yup, my frikkin' telephone number. ??? ???
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2076 on: 19 July, 2012, 10:29:09 am »
Estates department  :facepalm:

You sent a contractor up to our building for some non-urgent and fairly trivial work, and completely forgot to tell them that the road up is a TIDAL CAUSEWAY.  Now he's stuck here for 4 hours and grumbling at us.   :(

« Reply #2077 on: 19 July, 2012, 10:37:31 am »
I, being a plonker, cannot find my wallet. I suspect it's lying around the house somewhere, but I can't take that chance and have had the cards in it stopped. Much inconvenience will ensue if it's really lost, as all my various membership cards and driving license are in it too.

Bollox! Found it in the pannier I'd already looked in. No access to funds till the new ones show up.

Better safe than sorry.

If you take your passport or other id into the branch they can give you cash over the counter.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2078 on: 19 July, 2012, 10:54:24 am »
I, being a plonker, cannot find my wallet. I suspect it's lying around the house somewhere, but I can't take that chance and have had the cards in it stopped. Much inconvenience will ensue if it's really lost, as all my various membership cards and driving license are in it too.

Bollox! Found it in the pannier I'd already looked in. No access to funds till the new ones show up.

Better safe than sorry.

If you take your passport or other id into the branch they can give you cash over the counter.

If you've got a cheque book to hand that helps as well. I was allowed to take £300 without any notice this way when I cancelled my cards (I would also have been allowed to walk to the next Santander branch 200m up the road and take out another £300 for some reason)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2079 on: 19 July, 2012, 10:55:18 am »
Grrr car, you cost me £220 to have you oxygen sensor replaced and then breakdown on the way home from the garage, and you are now costing me a further £280 for new road springs.

« Reply #2080 on: 20 July, 2012, 04:09:55 pm »
The roof of the entrance at work is leaking, so we now have a 5 cm footbath to step through to get in/out (3 metres by 2 metres, so totally unavoidable).  This is not new.

There are seagulls nesting in the roof of the buidling.  This is new.

The inside of the building now smells of guano.   :sick:

« Reply #2081 on: 20 July, 2012, 04:13:17 pm »

Better safe than sorry.

As it happens, PB, I had a nice, frugal weekend. The replacements both showed up on Tuesday, so spending has recommenced, including train tickets for the Pie Run that I hope to persuade you to attend. :)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2082 on: 20 July, 2012, 06:23:25 pm »
People of my local.  The constant call of "Where's yer yella jersey?" "Are you in the Tordy France?" is getting somewhat tedious.  I've totally run out of witty reposts.

I liked it when nobody used to know anything about it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2083 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:37:35 pm »
I'm going right off people.  Bah!   >:(

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2084 on: 21 July, 2012, 09:12:37 pm »
East Ham must have teh carpest Wilkos in the country.  Forumites are always posting about this and that great little doodad or thingamabob they've picked up from Wilkos.  Mine never has them. :(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2085 on: 21 July, 2012, 11:08:41 pm »
Just logged on to sort out my Visa waiver thing for the US trip in October. They've started charging $14 for it !  >:(     And they want to know my address whilst in the US.  Will " A tent, somewhere random" keep the bureaucrats happy ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2086 on: 23 July, 2012, 07:41:29 am »
East Ham must have teh carpest Wilkos in the country.  Forumites are always posting about this and that great little doodad or thingamabob they've picked up from Wilkos.  Mine never has them. :(

Hot tips:
Wikos: Ilford, where Woolys (Not OTP) was
Lidl: Ilford tucked away near the council offices (and if you go there and see the riding gloves, please let me know)
Aldi: Seven kings

Pls to knote, I am LidlAldi Chanllenged, I often find it difficult to tell the difference.

East Ham has the carpest everything, except Indian restaurants

« Reply #2087 on: 23 July, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »
Sometimes, I'm just incredibly blonde!   :facepalm:

I've only gone and double-booked myself for Wednesday morning again...both things are difficult to move to other times-one was booked ages ago and the other is a recurring weekly thing which I missed last week due to having double-booked it with something else important that was booked ages ago!  LMAO!

I have one recurring thing each week that is difficult to move.  Everything else is extremely flexible.  So WHY do I keep booking other things for exactly the same time??

« Reply #2088 on: 24 July, 2012, 06:46:02 pm »
Bloody hell! I can see why Blacks went bust.

Wandered into the local branch. Saw exactly what I wanted (some short hiking socks) & was pleased to see that they were marked as half price.

Went to till, & the price came up as full price. Salesperson told me that they were half price only if bought with footwear (as in shoes/boots/sandals). I politely queried the labelling, & was told in a rather challenging tone that it was on the labels. I said it wasn't obvious, & she came straight back with "I put the labels on myself" - which wasn't exactly an appropriate response, since I wasn't questioning either that they were labelled, or that the labels said what she claimed, only trying to suggest that small print in pale blue & white is not exactly conspicuous, & it might be wise to label conditional offers such as that more clearly, or more customers & potential customers would end up being irritated. But I didn't get as far as explaining all that. I gave up & left, without the socks.

I'm not sure if I'd have bought them if I'd seen the conditions on the label & expected to pay full price, but I certainly wasn't inclined to after having got as far as the till before discovering the price & then encountering a stroppy shop assistant.

I was passing Millets a few minutes later, & on impulse stepped inside to see if the same socks were on the same offer. Yup! But oddly, with different - and much clearer - labels. The small print was black on white, & hard to miss.

Well, their loss.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2089 on: 25 July, 2012, 10:56:25 am »
What you used to pay for in Blacks was knowledgeable staff. I mostly used the York store and have overheard the staff giving advice to customers; and they obviously knew what they were talking about.

Go into Millets or Yeomans and they are clueless. Just sales droids.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

LindaG

« Reply #2090 on: 06 August, 2012, 11:27:34 am »
Oh, arse.  My friend Claire asked me to go to the try out day at Norton Archers in a couple of Sundays' time.  Guess who's on a run of night shifts?  I was looking forward to that.  Bum.   >:( :(

I like bows narrows.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2091 on: 06 August, 2012, 01:12:45 pm »
STOP the world, I want to get off.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2092 on: 06 August, 2012, 02:56:09 pm »
On the train home, I was opposite a couple, the female of which drew a picture of me on her iPad. SHe didn't ask or anything, but it was fairly obvious from the way she kept looking up at me and trying not to look like she was. I was mildly narked. I assume (being me) it was unflattering.

And her and her fat boyfriend's luggage took up all the legroom under the table. Use a fecking luggage rack!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2093 on: 06 August, 2012, 03:08:19 pm »
Use a fecking luggage rack!

A what?   ;)

« Reply #2094 on: 06 August, 2012, 03:10:59 pm »
Use a fecking luggage rack!

A what?   ;)

There was room overhead. If I can manage to lift a bag up there, the big fat guy should be able to.

He was wearing a hoodie, with the hood up, too. WTF?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

LindaG

« Reply #2095 on: 06 August, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »
(sigh)

No sign of cooker repair man.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2096 on: 06 August, 2012, 03:36:40 pm »
There was room overhead. If I can manage to lift a bag up there, the big fat guy should be able to.

Maybe I've spent too much times on trains designed for tilting (and therefore bugger all useful room for luggage at head height once the arctic-rated air conditioning is installed), and become overly cynical about the average train passenger's luggage (which seems to be a giant hardshell wheely case with a mind of its own, and an assortment of poorly-managed carrier bags).

The old slam-door trains had proper luggage racks.  Sort of thing you could hang a mountain bike by the saddle from, and still have room for a large rucksack.

essexian

« Reply #2097 on: 06 August, 2012, 04:06:12 pm »
You should travel First Class....loads of room in there normally  ;D (works pays!!!)

My grumble.... my vets has just told me while they would love to, they can't give me a "Frequent flyers" discount....grumble, grumble, grumble... spent over a grand there in the last two months... should have taken out insurance...grumble grumble grumble.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2098 on: 06 August, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2099 on: 06 August, 2012, 04:55:06 pm »
STOP...

Hammertime!
Thank you for the first smile of the day :)
Thank crunchie I'm going to the gym for some happy hormones too.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.