Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626034 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #15975 on: 21 March, 2023, 03:36:01 pm »
+++ ¡Vaya! ¡Aquí viene el queso! +++

And I've managed to persuade the cadence wossname to display too, but not until after I got home from this afternoon’s mammoth 7 km round trip.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15976 on: 22 March, 2023, 09:19:58 pm »
Now, Mr Sony of 123 High Street, Japan.

Why, when it took my PVR gadget all of five minutes to do a complete retune, does it take your idiot distascope more than half an hour to do the same thing?

Grrrr!

« Reply #15977 on: 23 March, 2023, 01:31:37 pm »
Multi-part grumble.

We have a problem with air getting into the heating pipes. Causes airlocks and other circulation issues.

One bedroom smells damp, so we wondered if there was a leak below that room.

To get access to under that floor, I could either:
Pull up carpet and cut a hatch into the floorboards.
Or,
Go in through existing hatch and make access ways through the supporting walls (there are four of these, running the length of the house under the floor).

I decided to the latter, as it would give me access under the whole house.
Did I mention that I'm mildly claustrophobic and scared of the dark? The underfloor space is 3-2ft high, wet, muddy and, of course, dark.
4 horrible hours work with a kango, hammer and chisel, I have the access ways cut and lintels added.

No leak in pipes that I can see.

What I can see, however, is that the pipes aren't supported. They just added 90degree bends, shoved them through the floor and connected to radiators.
So there are 10-20ft lengths of pipe suspended by nothing more than the pipe fitting on the rads. They are also uninsulated and 5-7cm clear of the joists, so I can't simply add pipe clips.

Very much inclined to redo the whole thing with plastic, properly.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #15978 on: 23 March, 2023, 05:50:23 pm »
Or support the pipes and insulate them.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #15979 on: 24 March, 2023, 06:57:06 am »
Or support the pipes and insulate them.

The whole system is currently plumbed 'series', meaning each radiator forms part of the continuous circuit. It is therefore impossible to fit any thermostatic valves to any radiators.

That really, really needs fixing and to do so requires adding a new return circuit anyway.

I could build the circuit over time, leaving the rad and boiler connections until last.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15980 on: 24 March, 2023, 08:23:24 am »
Did I mention that I'm mildly claustrophobic and scared of the dark? The underfloor space is 3-2ft high, wet, muddy and, of course, dark.
4 horrible hours work with a kango, hammer and chisel, I have the access ways cut and lintels added.

Sounds vile.  I'd probably have GAMI'd.  Bon courage for the rest of the job.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15981 on: 24 March, 2023, 08:28:17 am »
Gotta say, never having had to be in one, 3ft sounds a lot larger than I'd have imagined. Wet and muddy doesn't help though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15982 on: 24 March, 2023, 12:03:43 pm »
Gotta say, never having had to be in one, 3ft sounds a lot larger than I'd have imagined. Wet and muddy doesn't help though.
IT is only 3ft at the lower end - that still isn't enough to sit up in.

2 ft is small, particularly when constrained by wires and pipes. I had to lie flat to fit under those.
My core muscles are reminding me that I'm a desk potato now; not built for using a kango and swinging a lump hammer for hours while doing a semi-situp.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #15983 on: 25 March, 2023, 07:02:46 pm »
Scottish power have written to me to say that from April 1st my electricity cost will decrease, it's dropping by a whole penny a unit.  And on the same day my standing charge rises by almost 5p/day.  Bastards.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15984 on: 29 March, 2023, 01:47:04 pm »
I've been doing detailed research watching that YouTube they have these days, for some hints on building a learning tower. It's a kitchen stool with a cage, Gorgeous Grandchildren for the use of, so one or other of them can reach up and get their fingers chopped off "help" with the cooking. 

The simplest involve buying a stool from the Swedish Halls of Joy and screwing some 2 x 1 on to it.

The more complicated start with a sheet of maple ply, cutting it on the bench saw, glueing it into thick pieces, more shaping on the band saw. A bit of router use, then a drum sander.

Then some other bits of wood go through the thicknesser (planer?) a couple of times.

A bit of router work to make some grooves, then a bit on a different router to smooth the edges.

It's all a bit much.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15985 on: 29 March, 2023, 02:53:45 pm »
You will definitely have to use it to show them how to make pizza.

« Reply #15986 on: 29 March, 2023, 03:01:01 pm »
I've been doing detailed research watching that YouTube they have these days, for some hints on building a learning tower. It's a kitchen stool with a cage, Gorgeous Grandchildren for the use of, so one or other of them can reach up and get their fingers chopped off "help" with the cooking. 

The simplest involve buying a stool from the Swedish Halls of Joy and screwing some 2 x 1 on to it.

The more complicated start with a sheet of maple ply, cutting it on the bench saw, glueing it into thick pieces, more shaping on the band saw. A bit of router use, then a drum sander.

Then some other bits of wood go through the thicknesser (planer?) a couple of times.

A bit of router work to make some grooves, then a bit on a different router to smooth the edges.

It's all a bit much.

I had ti Google what a learning tower is, when you said a stool with a cage I had the mental image of a bar stool with a metal cage on top with big enough holes for a kid to get hands through

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15987 on: 29 March, 2023, 03:49:41 pm »
Seems to me that once they've helped you with all that woodwork, they should have learned how to be sufficiently careful with their remaining fingers that cookery shouldn't be a problem.

« Reply #15988 on: 29 March, 2023, 04:05:57 pm »
Seems to me that once they've helped you with all that woodwork, they should have learned how to be sufficiently careful with their remaining fingers that cookery shouldn't be a problem.
I suspect the purpose of the tower cage bit is to stop them distractedly stepping off the side of the platform.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15989 on: 29 March, 2023, 04:41:20 pm »
Looks a bit like a reinvented high chair.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15990 on: 29 March, 2023, 06:21:14 pm »
Madam, may I refer you to your signature  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #15991 on: 29 March, 2023, 11:01:38 pm »
This talk of routing reminded me of a recent conversation with a foreign colleague. Rowing (the water-based activity) vs rowing (the argumental based activity)

Routing is going to blow their mind.  :o
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

ian

« Reply #15992 on: 29 March, 2023, 11:04:56 pm »
For my wife, who has just discovered that the train (after 10pm) is a rail replacement bus service and simultaneously the road that it needs to replace the train is closed every evening after 10pm for resurfacing.

A certain measure of British genius.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15993 on: 29 March, 2023, 11:19:24 pm »
That's the integrated transport solution we've been waiting for  :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15994 on: 31 March, 2023, 04:27:18 pm »
Dear The BBC Radio 4

A few weeks ago Just A minute finished its run.  Hurrah, I thought, time for something in the Monday evening comedy slot that is (a) funny and (ii) something I like.

But no. For a series of the Museum of Curiosity started.  Bah.

Peeking at next week's Monday night offering I see the Museum of Curiosity has finished. Hurrah.  To be replaced by Just a Minute. Again. Double bah.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #15995 on: 31 March, 2023, 04:41:28 pm »
I abandoned Radio 4's idea of comedy years ago.
Mostly noisy, shouty and not to my taste at all.
And the endless trailers for them are even worse.
Turn up the volume to listen to the weather forcast and have my ears blown off by the trailer.
What do they teach sound engineers these days?
Bring back ISIRTA....

« Reply #15996 on: 04 April, 2023, 07:39:41 pm »
At work one aspect of our business is 90% dealt with from a different location but sometimes they use our workshop and this means me being asked to take payment/hand over keys etc which I'm happy to do

Not so happy with the fact I keep getting whinged out/having details queried about servicing/prices/why the van was sat for a week before anyone told them was done

I'm normally helpful but today just had too much to do so gave them phone number of relevant person and said deal with them

« Reply #15997 on: 04 April, 2023, 10:16:00 pm »
I agree
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15998 on: 05 April, 2023, 07:33:27 am »
Reminds me of when I was development boss for a word-processing system and some marketing lizard passed a copy of the pre-beta version to a client and gave them my number "in case they had problems". Could have murdered the bastard.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15999 on: 08 April, 2023, 10:22:04 am »
Remote controls that don’t work until you've pressed every button half a dozen times and sworn most vilely at them can get tae fuck.  Double points if it uses a CR2025 battery which in my case I have not got, and nor have the von Brandenburgs.