Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 88057 times)

Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #150 on: 29 June, 2015, 10:55:35 pm »
The logistics of organising a calendar event are in the higher values of difficult. 

An individual permanent is easier to organise, albeit probably significantly more challenging to ride than the calendar event (which was challenging enough).

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #151 on: 30 June, 2015, 08:58:21 am »
I'll provisionally stick my name down for a group perm:
Jonah

« Reply #152 on: 30 June, 2015, 08:15:59 pm »
Jonah

+ 1 to that, provided the dates can be MBA.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #153 on: 01 July, 2015, 02:07:19 pm »
Interested but it will vie with Mille Miglia or Black Sheep's Highlands and Islands.  June 15 - July 25 is out for me - too many family commitments around end of school year.   :hand:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #154 on: 02 July, 2015, 03:27:51 am »
Jonah

Despite your Dorset banner, I too would be up for that

H

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #155 on: 02 July, 2015, 10:29:29 am »
The inner sanctum from the Kingdom of Wessex

Jonah

H

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #156 on: 02 July, 2015, 05:38:21 pm »

Jonah

H

It would have to next year too.

H

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #157 on: 02 July, 2015, 10:30:12 pm »

Jonah

H

Are you a man of Dorset, Jonah?
Mojo is being awakened.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #158 on: 03 July, 2015, 03:50:44 pm »
I'm busy that weekend

Whenever it is  ;D

hillbilly

« Reply #159 on: 03 July, 2015, 04:52:49 pm »
I am going to hold out for Mr Shaw to invite us in to his Crack den and hand out the rock, tin foil and lighters so we can all get high (up the hills) and lose our minds over the course of a couple of days.

TBH, if it never runs as a calendar event again, that will be a pity.  I, personally and at this moment of time, have no real *want* or *need* to ride it as a DIY event.  Whilst Shawn's routes are nice and interesting, the thing that made the Wessex SR special for me was the controls that he organised (particularly on the Porkers which I think is possibly my favourite 400 evah) and the obvious care that he lavishes on them :(

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #160 on: 04 July, 2015, 11:46:47 am »
Oh ahh, born in Dorch, brought up in Weymif lut!  ;)

Jonah

H

Are you a man of Dorset, Jonah?

« Reply #161 on: 20 October, 2015, 08:52:46 pm »
This thread definitely needs a nudge ....

Anyone else have any plans to give it a whirl ?

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #162 on: 21 October, 2015, 10:07:34 am »
Er yes...
But not sure if can actually make it or squeeze it in between Highlands 1200, Wessex SR (I've only done the perms - I want to do the calendar). I've been thinking about BCM as well. I'm interested in group DIY if dates right but am slow on hills but doggedly relentless elsewhere, so I tend not to see much of people after 100k except in passing. It would be nice to know some other blighter was out there enjoying Shawn's "roads with better views".

I did speak to Manotea at the AAAnfractious and he has Jonah's track for potential use as DIY by GPS, and he validated Jonah's ride I believe.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #163 on: 22 October, 2015, 03:50:56 pm »

I'm definitely in - When were you thinking?

PS  :demon:

hillbilly

« Reply #164 on: 22 October, 2015, 04:31:03 pm »
Hmm.  Given I keep looking in this thread, I suspect I may be interested.  Don't want to be, but there we go.  Deviants can't easily deny their predilections.  Firmly on the maybe list.

« Reply #165 on: 22 October, 2015, 07:50:15 pm »

I'm definitely in - When were you thinking?

You want to do it again ? Cool. I'm probably nuts, but I'm erring towards early in the new year. There are some domestic negotiations to be had yet too though ...

Also, if Shawn does get all the planets to align and run a calendar version I'd opt for that instead ... but that's a tall order having looked at a previous route sheet.

When's your preference ?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #166 on: 22 October, 2015, 09:57:46 pm »
Mrs CET has given reluctant permission to Mille Miglia next year so I'm out
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Smeth

« Reply #167 on: 22 October, 2015, 11:29:28 pm »
I'm probably nuts, but I'm erring towards early in the new year

Probably? Once did Lejog in November. Wish I'd been able to see. Positive maybe for later.
Have tested the water with Shawn re calendar or even perm. Managed to get one raised eyebrow by way of a no but who knows?

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #168 on: 23 October, 2015, 07:19:21 am »
I'm probably nuts, but I'm erring towards early in the new year

Probably? Once did Lejog in November. Wish I'd been able to see. Positive maybe for later.
Have tested the water with Shawn re calendar or even perm. Managed to get one raised eyebrow by way of a no but who knows?

Yeah, I did a Hellfire in November one year.  As I waited for my water bottle to melt in the morning winter sun I calculated that by the end of the ride I would have have spent more time in darkness that in the light.  However, this being said, an earlier assault would free up the rest of the year aye?! 

Smeth

« Reply #169 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:20:47 am »
You're right, but I've promised the legs no more than 200 before the hardboiled/coast attempt. Too dark early for me.

hillbilly

« Reply #170 on: 23 October, 2015, 11:36:55 am »
If I do this, I'd like to experience the Joy of Wessex in the summer.  I'd only be up for a July/August ride, by which time my legs will be suitably "seasoned" to make a lumpy 1000 bearable.

« Reply #171 on: 23 October, 2015, 08:38:41 pm »

Yeah, I did a Hellfire in November one year.  As I waited for my water bottle to melt in the morning winter sun I calculated that by the end of the ride I would have have spent more time in darkness that in the light.  However, this being said, an earlier assault would free up the rest of the year aye?!

Yes - there'll be more dark riding than light in January - 15 hours ? And who knows what the temperature / rainfall / wind etc. will be like going over Exmoor ... but it would indeed free up the spring and summer months.

Don't know what bike & tyre combo I'd do it on either at that time of year. Either way it'd be slow going ... and challenging.

Smeth

« Reply #172 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:02:06 pm »
Selfishly I'm thinking early July - long enough after Brimstone (28 May) - long enough before Highlands 1200 (25th July).  And max daylight. I'm also lucky to have midweek as an option. TBH I may solo - hate the idea of slowing anyone, though merely knowledge of some other soul out there would be good. Also I had an idea of sticking my caravan and awning somewhere as a communal crash out. Put food, even drop bags etc there.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #173 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:33:13 pm »

Yes - there'll be more dark riding than light in January - 15 hours ? And who knows what the temperature / rainfall / wind etc. will be like going over Exmoor ... but it would indeed free up the spring and summer months.

Don't know what bike & tyre combo I'd do it on either at that time of year. Either way it'd be slow going ... and challenging.

Like your style!  I'm chokah in the summer already (ACH has a bumper expedition planned which will need to take centre stage)  - lets just pretend it's July!  :demon:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #174 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:37:04 pm »
Re. bike tyre combo
Have you seen the Surly Pugsley?