Author Topic: I went to Meadowbank today  (Read 1657 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
I went to Meadowbank today
« on: 22 August, 2008, 10:36:44 pm »
There is something incredibly depressing about going to Meadowbank Stadium It is tatty, dilapidated and clearly run down. The only thing fresh is the grass in the centre. Apart from the people who ride there who are fantastic.

Having craftily arranged a meeting at Edinburgh Uni for the friday I went on afterwards to the stadium to the track novice session. One other novice there (He had done no track riding before, I have raced track at Caird Park but never somewhere as steep as Meadowbank)

Got sorted out with a bike, pedals fitted, changed, pre-ride briefing. And being an outdoor track it began to rain. Bugger. All I managed to do was to ride around the concrete inside the cote d'azur (not on the cote d'azur, it was far too slippery, even on a slightly damp day.)

For the statisticians, the banking is 44 degrees (which is scarily steep). The minimum safe speed is about 12-13 mph, or you will hit pedals and fall. If a crash appears in front of you, go up the banking or you will join it. (counterintuitive)

Two more weeks till the end of the season - can I get to another session but in the dry this time?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: I went to Meadowbank today
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2008, 11:26:52 pm »
Evocative and poignant.

Thanks David.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2008, 11:32:42 pm »
I only stay about 3k away but have never even realised that you can randomly pop along for novice sessions.

twonk!!

I (think I) know that the kids can start when they are 8, so I've had 2009 in mind for when magnoliette no. 1 will be 8 (unless of course it's gone by then...)

David Martin

« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2008, 09:47:46 am »
I only stay about 3k away but have never even realised that you can randomly pop along for novice sessions.

twonk!!

I (think I) know that the kids can start when they are 8, so I've had 2009 in mind for when magnoliette no. 1 will be 8 (unless of course it's gone by then...)

8? Whenever they can fit onto a track bike and maintain a safe speed on the banking..

..d

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #4 on: 25 August, 2008, 10:20:21 am »
David, give me a shout next time you're down on a Friday - I've been meaning to do this for AGES now. I'd love to take the Peacemaker round, I've even got a spare set of drop bars, but the gearing would just be way too low!

David Martin

« Reply #5 on: 25 August, 2008, 10:27:12 am »
David, give me a shout next time you're down on a Friday - I've been meaning to do this for AGES now. I'd love to take the Peacemaker round, I've even got a spare set of drop bars, but the gearing would just be way too low!

OK, I will do. There are only two Fridays left this season and the weather outside is grey..

..d