Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186679 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #500 on: 08 February, 2018, 11:15:59 am »
apparently the number of phones handed into lost property eclipsed the number of umbrellas sometime in the 1990s
I think this is a two-way thing. More phones to be lost, and fewer people carrying umbrellas, due to fashion or improvements in waterproof clothing or warmer workplaces or something.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #501 on: 08 February, 2018, 11:34:55 am »
All my computers have just reminded me that my little girl is 30 at the weekend and that I should buy her presents!

Middle aged? I feel positively old!

Yeah, having children over 30 definitely marks you as being officially "old", or at least, an early starter.

My eldest will not be 30 till December...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #502 on: 08 February, 2018, 01:38:44 pm »
Mine's pushing 45. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

fuzzy

« Reply #503 on: 08 February, 2018, 02:16:25 pm »
.... offspring get involved in the househunting game.

No.2 Son and his girlfriend have had an offer accepted on a flat.

Current occupants are now amending the conditions under which the offer was made and accepted ::-)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #504 on: 27 February, 2018, 02:37:46 pm »
... your son asks when the film you're watching (Groundhog Day) was made, you start to respond "Nineteen..." and he interrupts "There was a nineteen?"
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #505 on: 28 February, 2018, 08:28:44 pm »
A colleague asked me what Spitting Image was  :'(
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #506 on: 28 February, 2018, 08:32:41 pm »
Did you stick a deck chair up his nose for that display of cultural ignorance? ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #507 on: 28 February, 2018, 11:41:23 pm »
No. Bought a jumbo jet and then buried all his clothes, before having tea with a nice Sarth Effrikken . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #508 on: 01 March, 2018, 07:03:51 am »
You know you are middle-aged when...

...you spend an hour listening to Mussorgsky in your kitchen with the Dyno-Rod man who has just jetblasted a behemoth down your drain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: You know you're decrepit when
« Reply #509 on: 06 March, 2018, 11:21:36 am »
48 km at 23 kph leaves you knackered the next day.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #510 on: 06 March, 2018, 12:10:47 pm »
Went around to a friend's place for dinner on Saturday.  I was at least 20 years older than the host and the other four people there.

OK, perhaps not specifically a 'middle aged' thing, but definitely made me feel old no longer young.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #511 on: 06 March, 2018, 12:32:08 pm »
Went around to a friend's place for dinner on Saturday.  I was at least 20 years older than the host and the other four people there.

OK, perhaps not specifically a 'middle aged' thing, but definitely made me feel old no longer young.

Were the young people able to use their cutlery properly?

It seems a sign of my middle age is being judgemental of young people who clearly find this simple skill challenging  >:(

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #512 on: 06 March, 2018, 12:41:15 pm »

It seems a sign of my middle age is being judgemental of young people who clearly find this simple skill challenging  >:(

Yes, they did.  There were even chopsticks in use!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #513 on: 06 March, 2018, 01:09:06 pm »
That's just showing off...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #514 on: 06 March, 2018, 03:03:00 pm »

Yes, they did.  There were even chopsticks in use!

Blimey, like Tors says, that's showing off.

I hope you've been in the UK long enough to shed any colonial cutlery habits you picked up from our American cousins  ;D :-*

« Reply #515 on: 06 March, 2018, 03:15:33 pm »
And post-Brexit we can make the cutting of potatoes with a fork, as the Germans do, illegal. :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #516 on: 06 March, 2018, 03:16:55 pm »

It's not a simple skill, that's why it's challenging.

Being judgemental about it is a traditional sign of middle age, thobut.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #517 on: 06 March, 2018, 03:48:36 pm »
^^^   ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #518 on: 06 March, 2018, 04:11:17 pm »
Maybe it's because that's how long it takes to mistake something that you've had decades of practice at for something that's easy (compare: writing, walking, playing a musical instrument, speaking, using chopsticks, welding, knitting, reading etc.), but I suspect it's more to do with middle-aged curmudgeonlyness.

I'm all for a bit of tongue-in-cheek ranting about how Young People's trousers are all wrong, that USAnians don't know how to grammar, or that the internet is full of illiterate n00bs who wouldn't know RFC1855 if an avian carrier dropped it on their heads.  But there's a fine line between satirising generational culture shifts and classism or disablism, and complaints about other people's cutlery use are too often on the wrong side of that.

</humourless_feminist>

Oscar's dad

« Reply #519 on: 06 March, 2018, 04:28:38 pm »
Wow!

Is another sign of middle age being able to cause offence (I think) without intending to?  If so I offer the humblest of apologies!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #520 on: 06 March, 2018, 04:42:38 pm »
I'm not offended (though I accept I may be overly sensitive about it, as it's something people occasionally sneer at barakta for), just aware that most people who don't use cutlery in the 'proper' way are likely to be doing it because that's how they've been brought up, or because they lack the required dexterity.  Neither of which is their fault.

And because this sort of stuff *is* hard, and I try not to take it for granted.  Look at how long it's taken to make a bipedal robot that isn't embarrassingly shit, when most humans can walk across an uneven surface without really thinking about it.  I wrote that whole paragraph without looking at the keyboard.  Magic!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #521 on: 06 March, 2018, 05:03:14 pm »
OK, fair enough  ;D  Despite turning 54 last week I will try not to go completely Victor Meldrew just yet - but its going to be hard!

« Reply #522 on: 06 March, 2018, 07:43:10 pm »
It's a ship for carrying birds isn't it?  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #523 on: 06 March, 2018, 07:45:40 pm »
Cutlery: several years ago now I met Flatus and Jaded. We had some beer (you could have predicted that bit, couldn't you?) and then went to an Indian restaurant. At this point I'd just returned to the UK after living in India for about three years. So I was tearing little bits off my chapati and using them to pick up small amounts of food, all one handed – and I suddenly realized they weren't. Which of course made me self-conscious about my automatic Indian eating habits. Meanwhile, I have to cancel my dinner date with OD!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #524 on: 06 March, 2018, 08:13:14 pm »
Nooooo, don’t cancel!  I’ve bought you flowers and stuff!