Author Topic: Pizza steel  (Read 16777 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Pizza steel
« Reply #75 on: 28 May, 2020, 10:22:18 pm »
Rocket with the goat cheese & honey is good. Put the honey on when it comes out.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #76 on: 29 May, 2020, 07:54:50 am »
I was thinking more of adding caramelised onion, or maybe some of my rhubarb chutney - why not both? Rocket sounds good. Maybe some sliced red onion. How about a soft and a hard goat cheese. Of course, by now that does lose all of the character of your original suggestion but.......  (see what I mean? too much. Always too much)

« Reply #77 on: 29 May, 2020, 09:03:39 am »
Something with pineapple ?  ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #78 on: 29 May, 2020, 10:07:32 am »
Now, why didn't I think of that?

No, I m not going to pollute my search history by asking Google if the words "Pineapple", "Plug" and "butt" combined will furnish an image to post here because I am certain they will, so I'll leave that to your imagination.

Bad news, Brundle have told me that the undrilled plate is out of stock. I could have had a 400 square, but that's 13kg

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #79 on: 29 May, 2020, 12:08:15 pm »
Something with pineapple ?  ;)

Minions!  Seize him, shoot him and burn the body!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #80 on: 29 May, 2020, 03:37:41 pm »
Would just preheating longer not do it?

Sorry wasn't clear, the oven has a digital temperature guage and when the guage indicates 250 the oven isn't up to 250.  Two oven thermometers show a similar temperature (both below 250) as the oven is both a fan and a upper and lower fixed element oven.  Opening the oven door, doesn't seem to make oven re heat to the needed temperature.  The stone got up to 250, tested with an infra red thermometer.  Then the door closing and me prepping the pizza and opening the door dropped the temp to 225.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #81 on: 29 May, 2020, 05:46:03 pm »
I was thinking more of adding caramelised onion, or maybe some of my rhubarb chutney - why not both? Rocket sounds good. Maybe some sliced red onion. How about a soft and a hard goat cheese. Of course, by now that does lose all of the character of your original suggestion but.......  (see what I mean? too much. Always too much)

It's your pizza, put what you want on it :P

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #82 on: 29 May, 2020, 06:50:42 pm »
Now, why didn't I think of that?

No, I m not going to pollute my search history by asking Google if the words "Pineapple", "Plug" and "butt" combined will furnish an image to post here because I am certain they will, so I'll leave that to your imagination.

Bad news, Brundle have told me that the undrilled plate is out of stock. I could have had a 400 square, but that's 13kg

There are other steel stockholders, one must be near you.

Also pizza wise less is more, remember the michellin star people say 4 flavours a plate.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #83 on: 29 May, 2020, 07:38:59 pm »

It's your pizza, put what you want on it :P

I have seen unpeeled kiwi on a pizza.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #84 on: 30 May, 2020, 12:49:35 pm »
metal stuff

Might wander round the steel stock holders, if there are any round here and see what they have.  Or see about skip diving...pizza on a ford mondeo door?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #85 on: 02 June, 2020, 08:18:17 pm »
The few stockholders near me are closed, but the tat shops seem to be open.

Not happy.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #86 on: 21 June, 2020, 02:29:49 pm »
Last night's pizza experiment was to use 50:50 strong white: 00 flour. Can't say I noted much difference from my usual plain: strong white mix. Don't think I'll bother again when the 00 flour is finished.

What I did notice was that the dough ball I had in the fridge for a while was noticeably easier to stretch into a pizza shape than the ones that had been sitting in a warm kitchen for a while.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #87 on: 21 June, 2020, 03:15:42 pm »
Think italian bread 00 flour isn't as strong as uk bread flour.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #88 on: 21 June, 2020, 03:40:21 pm »
That's why I decided to swap out the plain rather than the strong bread.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #89 on: 21 June, 2020, 03:48:42 pm »
OK you pizzaheads - suggestions needed. It appears I'm doing a socially distancing pizza fest for some neighbours on Saturday night. So far I've come up with Mozzarella, ham, broad bean for one and spinach and blue cheese (hmmm?) for another (guess what's ready from the allotment at the moment? Yes, that's right, the blue cheese mine is producing)

So, suggestions?

Rocket, Parmesan. Both to add on top of the cooked pizza, not cooked with the rest.

IMHO, the secret to good pizza is not making it over complicated. The simplest ones often work best.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #90 on: 21 June, 2020, 09:30:00 pm »
That's why I decided to swap out the plain rather than the strong bread.

There is a pizza thread on the london centric forum and they are all enthusing about using caputo brand 00 flour.   Still intrigued as to the difference between between bread flour and pizza flour.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #91 on: 21 June, 2020, 09:42:48 pm »
As far as I can tell the 00 us aboutthe fineness of milling, but doesn't specify protein content.
My 00 flour is Shipton Mill which states it can also ve used for Viennoisierie, which suggests to me it might not be that strong?
It doesn't give a protein content on the website.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #92 on: 14 August, 2020, 11:29:20 am »
We had a family gathering at my parents' last weekend and my sister brought along her Roccbox. Very impressed. Almost certainly the next best thing after a proper brick-built wood-fired oven.

Only big enough to take one pizza at a time but that's less of a problem when it cooks in about two minutes.

Somewhat more expensive than a sheet of steel though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #93 on: 14 August, 2020, 11:40:06 am »
Peperoni.

Beware of ordering peperoni pizza in an Italian restaurant - you may not get what you hoped for.

DAMHIKT  :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #94 on: 14 August, 2020, 03:34:13 pm »
We had a family gathering at my parents' last weekend and my sister brought along her Roccbox. Very impressed. Almost certainly the next best thing after a proper brick-built wood-fired oven.

Only big enough to take one pizza at a time but that's less of a problem when it cooks in about two minutes.

Somewhat more expensive than a sheet of steel though.

Funny thing is that you see oonis for sale but not roccboxes.

ian

« Reply #95 on: 14 August, 2020, 03:44:48 pm »
Peperoni.

Beware of ordering peperoni pizza in an Italian restaurant - you may not get what you hoped for.

DAMHIKT  :facepalm:

Yes, pepperoni with two ps is a devilish American invention (the Italians will have salame piccante). I'd personally have my pizza both al peperoni and salame piccante.

That said, I like potato on my pizza. Really! Mandolin a potato into slim slices, toss with salt, herbs, and olive oil, and put them on top. They should be thin enough to crisp up.

Yeah, I know, I've just made an open crisp sandwich in an Italian style. I suppose you could cheat by just emptying a bag of crisps on top at the end, but that's the sort of pizza crime that only the Norwegian's dare aspire to*.

*It's true, I was once served a pizza in Oslo that had tortilla chips on top.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #96 on: 14 August, 2020, 03:55:41 pm »

That said, I like potato on my pizza. Really! Mandolin a potato into slim slices, toss with salt, herbs, and olive oil, and put them on top. They should be thin enough to crisp up.

You want more carbs on your carb.

Quote from: ian
Yeah, I know, I've just made an open crisp sandwich in an Italian style. I suppose you could cheat by just emptying a bag of crisps on top at the end, but that's the sort of pizza crime that only the Norwegian's dare aspire to*.

*It's true, I was once served a pizza in Oslo that had tortilla chips on top.

With melted cheese on the tortilla?

ian

« Reply #97 on: 14 August, 2020, 04:00:05 pm »
It was a 'nacho pizza', so yes it had cheese and chilli aplenty.

« Reply #98 on: 14 August, 2020, 05:35:10 pm »
One of the best pizzas I have ever tasted was a pizza blanca (I think) in Rome. No tomatoes, but as Ian says, very thin potato with rosemary. It was our 10th wedding anniversary meal. I think we were the only non-Italians in the place.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #99 on: 14 August, 2020, 05:52:35 pm »
It is a truism, Norwegian nacho pizza aside, the less is more when it comes to pizza. I discovered the potato pizza (which was indeed blanca, but I've made it with tomato and also good) in the US, but delivered by actual emigrant Italians, not the ones four generations removed.

Made at home, you have to get the potatoes right so you don't end up with mash on top of your pizza, which depends on the vagueries of your oven.

Hold on, did I just say mashed potato pizza. Mmm...