Author Topic: VOIP supplier  (Read 1613 times)

DaveJ

• Happy days
VOIP supplier
« on: 11 October, 2012, 08:30:27 am »
Anyone got any suggestions for a VOIP supplier for a single business line?

I used Sipgate for about three years and had recurring intermittent problems making calls, so I moved to Gradwell about 14 months ago, and since then this is the third time that they have managed to drop incoming calls.  This is something of a disaster, so I'm looking for alternatives.

If I can't find a reliable VOIP supplier I'll have to move the number to a real phone line.

Dave

Re: VOIP supplier
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:43:23 am »
I don't know about their VOIP services, but at my last job (made redundant last July) we used these guys for server hosting and backup power supply (we were on the same business park) and they were pretty good.   Might be worth a call at least.

http://www.zedone.co/Hosted-telephony-VOIP

Andrew

« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:47:47 am »
Surprised to hear of your experience of Sipgate. I've been using them for over 5 years now, admittedly only as a home user, and not had too shoddy an experience. And I have tried others (localphone being probably by 2nd fave) but have stayed with Sipgate.

I've always thought VOIP to be a somewhat, um, erratic performer regardless of provider but it is much more reliable these days than when I first started out on it.

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2012, 09:36:06 am »
Draytel.
I have found Sipgate to be occasionally a bit flaky, the registration drops for no apparent reason.
I've also used voipfone and VoIP.co.uk both ok but no longer competitive
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2012, 10:47:55 am »
I use Vonage at home & haven't had a problem. The phone bill is also 60% lower than Virgin!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2012, 04:57:12 pm »
Not had much trouble with Sipgate (though I wish they'd send an email when the credit's running low), but you can count our monthly phone calls on the fingers of one of barakta's hands.  The main reason we use it is that with g.711 the signal to noise ratio is considerably higher than on our analogue line.

AAISP have Clue and do VOIP, though I can't vouch for the reliability.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 22 July, 2020, 06:57:49 pm »
I've just signed up with Virtual Landline. Painless so far - well, to be fair, our number hasn't been ported yet.

I've recently made a lot of changes to our internet connections as we no longer have the need for so much connectivity/redundancy since Dez moved out. I think I will be saving about £60 a month.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 22 July, 2020, 10:50:08 pm »
I also use Vonage at home, but not extensively. However, I've not had any trouble.  Handy app to allow calling from your mobile as if you're calling from home, and can bounce calls to another mobile if unanswered etc.

« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2020, 07:33:43 am »
I use both Sipgate and Draytel without any problems. I've been with Sipgate since the beginning of time, and I use it both from home and on my mobile.
I used to use Voipfone until their interface went strange.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2020, 09:51:02 pm »
I use both Sipgate and Draytel without any problems. I've been with Sipgate since the beginning of time, and I use it both from home and on my mobile.
I used to use Voipfone until their interface went strange.

I went with Voipfone after you mentioned them back in 2012, and I've been very happy with them.  I moved the home phone to them as well a couple of years back.  They are more expensive than some, but, for me, they've been very reliable.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 04 August, 2020, 01:13:31 pm »
Today's the day that the number is supposed to be ported. There has been a fair number of odd rings and a couple of spam calls, but we still seem to be connected to Virgin, who are not making this transfer easy.

I was told it ought to be complete by 11.30am but if it's still not done by about 3pm I'll follow it up.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 05 August, 2020, 04:33:24 pm »
And - Virgin cancelled the port!

They did so despite me categorically telling them that I wanted it to go ahead. Unfortunately, there is no comparable alternative to Sodding Virgin round here else I would port all my business elsewhere. Anything else will be horribly slow - I spoke to Andrews & Arnold who told me that. Virtual Landline are going to have another try next week.