Author Topic: Events that should exist  (Read 6455 times)

Re: Events that should exist
« Reply #50 on: 04 October, 2023, 04:02:05 pm »
That Vorsprung is resurrecting my old Kernow & Southwest 600, in slightly modified form.  You heard it here first.
That is really good news, what a great ride.

« Reply #51 on: 04 October, 2023, 04:05:14 pm »
While you are at it Jamie could you resurrect Mike and Linda's 'Moor like a 400' another classic event.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #52 on: 04 October, 2023, 04:14:02 pm »
While you are at it Jamie could you resurrect Mike and Linda's 'Moor like a 400' another classic event.

I have the route sheet.  That was a tough ride.  The only 400 i did when i had to have a kip.  I preferred the "3 moors 300" which they ran at the same time

« Reply #53 on: 05 October, 2023, 08:10:43 pm »
Was delighted to discover a one-way lane at Barham 10km (N of Folkestone) called "Rabbit Hole". Seems to lend itself to an event name.

And yes, the lane does go downhill.....

« Reply #54 on: 05 October, 2023, 11:02:48 pm »
Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be late!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #55 on: 06 October, 2023, 12:01:45 am »
Subject to validation.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #56 on: 06 October, 2023, 07:28:51 am »
That Vorsprung is resurrecting my old Kernow & Southwest 600, in slightly modified form.  You heard it here first.
That is really good news, what a great ride.

Definitely one for serious consideration next year. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #57 on: 07 October, 2023, 08:57:18 pm »
https://audax.uk/event-details/11036-kernow_and_south_west_600

controls are actually at ( description is difficult to read )

Bude - Crockets Beach,
Looe (open ctl),
Penzance(TBD),
Newquay (open but probably the tesco express),
Camelford Village Hall,
Barnstaple- Silk Mills Esso,
Lee Mill Nr Ivybridge tesco,
Paignton Texaco

There is an outline map on the auk page showing how it goes back via Plymouth/Paignton direction

« Reply #58 on: 08 October, 2023, 08:26:48 am »
Jan 1st - hard core date for a 600

« Reply #59 on: 08 October, 2023, 09:21:45 am »

Be careful Phil, you'll kick off the finger wagers suggesting people take responsibility for themselves going out for a long ride in the winter.

*coughs*

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #60 on: 08 October, 2023, 12:29:50 pm »
I did run - once - the "Marlborough with Lights 300", which went from where I live in the Blackdown Hills, Devon/Somerset border to Marlborough

I didn't get around to making the Tee shirts but here is the design

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #61 on: 08 October, 2023, 12:41:25 pm »
Only tangentially related to the topic but it was only very recently that it dawned on me that the event "A Pair of Kirtons" is actually a play on words ("A pair of curtains").

« Reply #62 on: 08 October, 2023, 02:43:13 pm »

Be careful Phil, you'll kick off the finger wagers suggesting people take responsibility for themselves going out for a long ride in the winter.

*coughs*

Ha, having said the above, it has been so mild in recent Januarys that I’ve been known to be out riding in my shorts. But riders would certainly need to comfortable with much longer periods in the dark regardless of what the weather is up to.

I am finding summer longer stuff hard core if there’s a heat wave. Of which we’ve had plenty in recent years.

« Reply #63 on: 09 October, 2023, 09:43:54 am »

*coughs*

Ha, having said the above, it has been so mild in recent Januarys that I’ve been known to be out riding in my shorts. But riders would certainly need to comfortable with much longer periods in the dark regardless of what the weather is up to.

I am finding summer longer stuff hard core if there’s a heat wave. Of which we’ve had plenty in recent years.

Yep, can't 'layer down' past a certain point! I spent several hours each afternoon on PBP sleeping under a tree as it was too hot for me.

2019 FFF500 route check week before Xmas was done with a base layer and short sleeve jersey. Only put an extra layer on around pre-dawn. It was bonkers!

They've had it easy really since running as a calender. First time we did it as a DIY in 2014 we ran out of water by Malmesbury as our water bottles had frozen.

« Reply #64 on: 09 October, 2023, 10:04:41 am »
There must be a 200km route visiting some Pictish Stones you could call the Glamis Rockers.

Sam
No thane person would ride that.

Birnham Wood to Dunsinane would need a lot of detours even to make a populaire. Then there's the impractibility of a finish at 310m.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #65 on: 15 October, 2023, 07:01:58 pm »

*coughs*

Yep, can't 'layer down' past a certain point! I spent several hours each afternoon on PBP sleeping under a tree as it was too hot for me.

2019 FFF500 route check week before Xmas was done with a base layer and short sleeve jersey. Only put an extra layer on around pre-dawn. It was bonkers!

They've had it easy really since running as a calender. First time we did it as a DIY in 2014 we ran out of water by Malmesbury as our water bottles had frozen.
Isotonic slush puppies ftw

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #66 on: 15 October, 2023, 07:03:19 pm »
There must be a 200km route visiting some Pictish Stones you could call the Glamis Rockers.

Sam
No thane person would ride that.

Birnham Wood to Dunsinane would need a lot of detours even to make a populaire. Then there's the impractibility of a finish at 310m.
There are a few detours that could be added to that, though I guess collace would have to substitute as the cycling finish. MacDuffs cross above Newburgh gives yet another excuse to go up loch mill

« Reply #67 on: 19 October, 2023, 07:24:43 pm »
The Newbiggin C2C 300 (and a bit)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/82vG9F1gXSDhEMhD8

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #68 on: 20 October, 2023, 10:05:20 pm »
King George V never uttered the words Bugger Bognor.  In fact the words were never uttered at all.  It was one of his aides, following an old map and therefore took the route of Stane Street rather than the recently named A29.  This meant an accidental who attempt to ride up Bignor Hill and, coming to grief on the 30% section, cried out in exasperation, "Bugger Bignor". 

There's an event that should exist.

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #69 on: 21 October, 2023, 10:28:55 am »

*coughs*

I lost a glove when the poor student ran on new years day. I was too warm I had to take them off, then I dropped one somewhere on the route :(.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #70 on: 21 October, 2023, 12:17:40 pm »
This weekend you could have the Flood Defence 100 (pick a distance)

« Reply #71 on: 21 October, 2023, 01:13:20 pm »
The CALMAC Calamity.

An audax of The Hebrides. 
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #72 on: 27 October, 2023, 05:47:08 pm »
Does it come to a premature end at a ferry port?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #73 on: 27 October, 2023, 05:48:51 pm »
Pack raft required?