General Category > Rides and Touring

Friday Night Ride To The Smoke (Oxford-London) 27-28 August

(1/10) > >>

rogerzilla:
Meet at midnight (0000 28 August) in Oxford railway station.  67 miles to breakfast in Acton.  There are two very big hills and a few shorter ones.  Food stop at the 24h Tesco at Loudwater.  Route is:

Oxford (exit via Hythe Bridge St, Broad St, New College Lane, Magdalen Bridge, Cowley Road, Hollow Way and Horspath Road)
Horspath
Wheatley
Worminghall
Ickford
Thame
Chinnor
Bledlow Ridge
Saunderton station
Smalldean Lane*
Naphill
Hughenden Valley
High Wycombe
Loudwater
Beaconsfield
Seer Green
Jordans
Chalfont St Peter
West Hyde
Harefield
Ruislip
Greenford
Ealing Broadway
Café Paolo, Acton (The Vale)

Trains from London are an astonishingly cheap £5.40 if you book now, so can be considered sacrificial if the weather turns nasty.  For Londoners who don't know West London, Paddington is about 20 mins from the cafe (other mainline stations are available). 

*a murderous 1 in 4

rogerzilla:
Updated with train fare.  Why is London-Oxford so cheap?  I blame all those bloody students  ;D

LittleWheelsandBig:
Currently a ‘weak maybe’. I was planning to ride my trike to Darley Moor on Saturday and the train would require a bike. Possible to leave the ride and swap machines at my place near Ruislip but I am lacking distance miles this year.

rogerzilla:
I'll take the Brompton six-speed to make trains easier.  It goes pretty well.

andyoxon:
Had a look at trains, having issues finding spaces to reserve on the £5.40 trains after 8.20 am.

edit.   May have been a momentary glitch with bike reservations, as seemed Ok later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version