Author Topic: Tour of Britain 2012  (Read 12849 times)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
Re: Tour of Britain Route 2012 Launch
« Reply #50 on: 10 September, 2012, 10:50:33 pm »
I've just booked Thursday off work to see it on the Cat.2 climb in Cannock Chase  :)

I'll be there too  :thumbsup: (if I can get up the hill from Brocton. Going to try a test run tomorrow morning. Despite living here for ten years, I have never been onto the Chase on a road bike).

I may see you there then.  I'll be in my yellow Tamworth club jersey & will try to find a spot where it ramps up at the start of the climb on chase road.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #51 on: 11 September, 2012, 07:10:30 am »
Commentary's still pretty poor - seem to be failing to communicate useful information as opposed to information (aka noise).
Today's finish; Sky are running out of steam so Cav drops back in the wheels to avoid being left hanging out front too far out (a la Ben Swift in La Vuelta), and the commentator gets over excited appears to miss, and so fails to communicate, the tactics involved, and instead suggests that Cav's now in a poorer position. 
I wonder if they're trying to inject excitement or just getting caught up in their own emotion?  Either way, i think there's room for improvement.

It's Hugh Porter mate - this is as good as it gets with him.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #52 on: 11 September, 2012, 08:29:19 am »
It's true though that Cav ended up in a poorer position owing to having dropped back/ allowed a couple of guys in front. Then he didn't win. So the overall info from the commentary was correct from the perspective of the sofa watcher?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #53 on: 11 September, 2012, 07:49:29 pm »
"We watch the Saltair fluttering in the breeze "
The what? Shut up, Hugh.

And how many different ways is he going to pronounce Euskadi? 

ETA -Grey "mar "s tail. WTF is a mar?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #54 on: 11 September, 2012, 08:03:53 pm »
Was it fluttering in Lockmabben, or perhaps on the bonny banks of the River Neeth?  :facepalm:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Poursuivant

• a.k.a. Steve Murray
« Reply #55 on: 12 September, 2012, 09:42:46 am »
"We watch the Saltair fluttering in the breeze "
IMHO Saltair[e] is in Bradford and flutters not  ???

ETA -Grey "mar "s tail. WTF is a mar?
Aha, isn't it how one addresses mother when in Morningside?

Was it fluttering in Lockmabben, or perhaps on the bonny banks of the River Neeth?  :facepalm:
Just wait for next year's Culross to Kirkcudbright stage, via Strathaven . . .

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #56 on: 12 September, 2012, 06:32:57 pm »
Phew no mention of today's result are we all waiting for the fantastic ITV coverage to start too?

I've managed to get Friday off, so will pull on my waterproof and wait on the edge of the Eppynt see Cav try a Welsh 1 in 4 for size, that should slow our heros enough for a few snaps  :thumbsup:

« Reply #57 on: 12 September, 2012, 11:10:09 pm »
More pearls from the commentary today.
The pronunciation of Quernmore couldn't have been more wrong and I'm wondering about the Barnstaple to Dartford stage.
Also, what is it with the "Manx Express" ?

On a separate subject; I'm sure the riders would be more comfortable (not to say drier) with mud-guards  ;)

« Reply #58 on: 12 September, 2012, 11:18:22 pm »
Phew no mention of today's result are we all waiting for the fantastic ITV coverage to start too?

I've managed to get Friday off, so will pull on my waterproof and wait on the edge of the Eppynt see Cav try a Welsh 1 in 4 for size, that should slow our heros enough for a few snaps  :thumbsup:

We are now torn between Eppynt and Caerphilly.  Seeing local boy Luke Rowe win on his doorstep would be cool, so that's probably favourite. 

Yes I'd love to see them grovel up the 25% gradient out of Llanfair-ym-Muallt though..

LEE

« Reply #59 on: 13 September, 2012, 09:09:34 am »
Oh to be perfect.

Let's try to remember that, in the main, commentators are presented with the same footage that we see, the same moment we see it.

They are then asked to talk for 5 hours, without a break, about the footage in an interesting way, and in the vain hope they don't offend any YACFers by mispronouncing the name of any villages they pass through.

Remember that there's an OFF button on every TV remote.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #60 on: 13 September, 2012, 09:26:12 am »
Oh to be perfect.

Let's try to remember that, in the main, commentators are presented with the same footage that we see, the same moment we see it.

They are then asked to talk for 5 hours, without a break, about the footage in an interesting way, and in the vain hope they don't offend any YACFers by mispronouncing the name of any villages they pass through.

No one is saying that commentary is easy but listen to David Harmon on Eurosport and you'd think that it is. Ant McCrossan is better (although like Porter he has quite a strident tone to his voice), hell, even Carlton Kirby is better than Porter.

It's not just mis-pronunciations, he can't read the racing, cannot identify riders, uses his own terminology as if it's common cycling parlance (finishing funnel?), and his over-wrought use of language is grating to listen to. He is, quite frankly, appalling at road race commentary. Plus he's a complete dick, in person.

a great mind thinks alike

LEE

« Reply #61 on: 13 September, 2012, 09:27:11 am »

Toady

« Reply #62 on: 13 September, 2012, 09:59:36 am »
My wife made up a little poem about diddy Jon Tiernan-Locke.

Jon Tiernan Locke
Fits in your sock

Aythangew.

« Reply #63 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:04:23 am »
Edited in bold.

Going off topic...
Why so prickly against criticism of shite commentators ?   We like to watch cycling. Its not much to expect somebody to get basics right, 'cos its pretty frustrating when they don't, hence the venting here.   I dont think anybody would switch off because of them though, or even mute the telly. 

As below, Mispronouncing some town names is not the issue, its the not following racing moves / mis-identfy riders, wrong terminology etc. All things a decent commentator would get right regardless of having to give 5 (?) hrs of commentary. (do itv4 show the stages live ?)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #64 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:35:20 am »
I usually have the volume low enough not to hear the commentry*.I prefer to "hear" it as I see it,IYKWIM.
I do the same with international football coverage.

*creeping deafness might also be a factor ::-)

LEE

« Reply #65 on: 13 September, 2012, 11:08:07 am »

Why so prickly against criticism of shite commentators ? 

1) Because I don't think they are shite at all.  Commentator style is very subjective.  Be careful what you wish for (or you may get the boring Australian fella whose commentary I heard over some recent race footage).

I like Hugh Porter's commentary! There, I've said it.  I've come out.  I find it a rather pleasant background mumble, like Ted Lowe and Snooker, John Motson and Football and Johnners for cricket. He's become part of cycling on TV for me. I couldn't care less how he pronounces the name of Basque telephone companies to be honest.

I'm not sure I actually hear what he's saying.  I can see what he sees and make my own internal commentary.

2) It's so refreshing to have so much cycling coverage on TV this year that I'd prefer to look at the positives (don't worry Lance, I don't mean your samples) rather than start to pick holes.  I'd rather have Hugh Porter commentating on cycling than have no cycling on TV.

3) Mostly though I really don't understand the mentality of watching a TV program if you find it frustrating or annoying.

Watching it once and moaning is normal.  Repeatedly watching it and moaning is just odd. Dontcha think? That's masochism.

essexian

« Reply #66 on: 13 September, 2012, 12:27:45 pm »
Just back from watching the Tour cross Cannock Chase on Stage 5.

I got to the KOM spot about an hour before the riders were due to arrive to find the place packed! I have seen the last five tours live and have never seem a crowd like it! Shame most of the people arrived by car instead of cycling up there: come on folks, its only a cat 2 climb and if I can get up there at 120kg using a 39/25, it shouldn't be too hard for most.

Anyway, I found a spot and watched the whole 4 seconds it took for the group to pass by! Can't say the climb taxed them in anyway: indeed, half of the riders were chatting away to each other...shows how fit they are!

Managed to get away before the roads re-opened to traffic, which was nice.

« Reply #67 on: 13 September, 2012, 04:20:10 pm »
Another gem from the commentary: "This is turning into a nail biting cliff hanger."
Good luck with that one

Yes Paul, I know.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #68 on: 13 September, 2012, 04:34:40 pm »
3) Mostly though I really don't understand the mentality of watching a TV program if you find it frustrating or annoying.

Watching it once and moaning is normal.  Repeatedly watching it and moaning is just odd. Dontcha think? That's masochism.
Because it's the only channel showing the bloody race!  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #69 on: 13 September, 2012, 05:16:29 pm »
Just back from watching the Tour cross Cannock Chase on Stage 5.

I got to the KOM spot about an hour before the riders were due to arrive to find the place packed! I have seen the last five tours live and have never seem a crowd like it! Shame most of the people arrived by car instead of cycling up there: come on folks, its only a cat 2 climb and if I can get up there at 120kg using a 39/25, it shouldn't be too hard for most.

Anyway, I found a spot and watched the whole 4 seconds it took for the group to pass by! Can't say the climb taxed them in anyway: indeed, half of the riders were chatting away to each other...shows how fit they are!

Managed to get away before the roads re-opened to traffic, which was nice.

I was further down the hill at the steep section.  Turned into a good days cycling & well worth a days holiday from work  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #70 on: 13 September, 2012, 09:49:51 pm »
The pronunciation of Quernmore couldn't have been more wrong and I'm wondering about the Barnstaple to Dartford stage.

We don't have to wait that long.

...out of Llanfair-ym-Muallt ..

« Reply #71 on: 13 September, 2012, 10:32:56 pm »
Are we going to see you on Caerphilly Mountain Nuncers?  Any of the Byways boys out tomorrow?  We could do a grid reference RV...  or a pub after?

« Reply #72 on: 14 September, 2012, 07:57:54 am »
No, not this year.  But keep an eye out for miniog.

LEE

« Reply #73 on: 14 September, 2012, 10:55:22 am »

Because it's the only channel showing the bloody race!  :facepalm:

Ah yes, I forgot our default stance of "damned moan if you don't and damned moan if you do".

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #74 on: 14 September, 2012, 10:57:37 am »
Yup - whatever we post, you moan about it!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles