Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134184 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14375 on: 30 March, 2020, 06:59:23 am »
We didn't fettle the ancient liquidiser because the replacement seals that arrived for it yesterday aren't an exact fit.
Weekend number 2 without a piña colada  :'(

Hand blender?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14376 on: 30 March, 2020, 10:58:46 am »
We didn't fettle the ancient liquidiser because the replacement seals that arrived for it yesterday aren't an exact fit.
Weekend number 2 without a piña colada  :'(

Hand blender?

Bloody Mary?

IGMC

« Reply #14377 on: 30 March, 2020, 11:04:41 pm »
My Surly needs a full strip-down and service.

Today, I managed to get the seatpost out (Plusgas plus brute force), then I'll need to swap the BB, service the front hub, replace the frayed brake cable (probably all brake cables), etc etc.

I might even try and service the Alfine 8 hub. It was secondhand and I haven't touched it in a year's usage. It's not a high mileage bike (for me), but most of its miles are grotty offroad. Any old hands with hub gears have any advice?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14378 on: 30 March, 2020, 11:16:31 pm »
My Surly needs a full strip-down and service.

Today, I managed to get the seatpost out (Plusgas plus brute force), then I'll need to swap the BB, service the front hub, replace the frayed brake cable (probably all brake cables), etc etc.

I might even try and service the Alfine 8 hub. It was secondhand and I haven't touched it in a year's usage. It's not a high mileage bike (for me), but most of its miles are grotty offroad. Any old hands with hub gears have any advice?
IIRC with the Alfine the grease tends to gum up over time. The fix is to remove the pingfuckit circlip, take off the sprocket, do $some_other_stuff and pull out the internals. Dunk the entire internals in either (a) Shimano Special and Expensive Juice or (b) Automatic Transmission Fluid (I think - check the interwebs for details). Pull out, let it drip dry and bung it back in. Mild Swears may be needed to get the circlip back on.  It's been a few years since I did this, so my memory is a bit hazy.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #14379 on: 30 March, 2020, 11:19:15 pm »
Cheers Tim.

« Reply #14380 on: 31 March, 2020, 08:17:23 am »
.... most of its miles are grotty offroad. Any old hands with hub gears have any advice?

Just remembering that even grotty off road won't affect the internals of a hub gear, IME it is the indexing registration that does for them in the end (and, as a result, made drop bar shifters unworkable for the system).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14381 on: 31 March, 2020, 08:30:27 am »
https://muddymoles.org.uk/reviews/stripping-and-an-oil-bath For an Alfine 8. I’ve got a SH Alfine 8 bare hub in the garage awaiting use. Once I get the maintenance backlog cleared for the fleet, I’ll start tackling the future projects.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #14382 on: 01 April, 2020, 01:10:28 am »
Cheers Dave.

It's more general maintenance, it seems to be working fine (the annoying clunk is almost certainly the knackered BB), and it looks as though I'll have some time on my hands, so it seems a good opportunity to get into the guts of the thing for when something actually goes wrong.

« Reply #14383 on: 01 April, 2020, 07:13:09 pm »
I need to do my commuter 8 speed Alfine hub sometime.

I have read that slathering the inards in grease is preferable to using oil, as oil can leak out onto the disc.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #14384 on: 01 April, 2020, 07:25:40 pm »
I don't normally come here to talk about my fettles, as I have the Wobbly Workshop thread for the interesting stuff.

However, I'm catching up on jobs, so I came here to mention that:

Since using my small Mantis 2 stroke rotovator at the weekend, I found it wasn't running well, so I've cleaned the filters (air & fuel) and added grease to the worm gear drive. I used it again yesterday, and it's running alot better.  :thumbsup:
I've ordered a service kit so the fillters, etc. can be replaced next time.

Today I have cleared the 'potting shed'  - a lean-to shed/greenhouse that 'borrows' the house and a garden wall in it's construction. I added fold-down bike racks so the Grandsons' bikes can live in there, rearranged the benches to give more useable storage, and refixed the door. I reused a shower door when I biult it, but bodged the pivot as I lost a couple of parts (a self tapping screw and a 5mm x 25mm steel rod that acts as one of the pivots. The door fell off last year, and in looking for bolts to adapt for the steel rod, I happened across the original missing parts!  :D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #14385 on: 01 April, 2020, 10:26:57 pm »
I need to do my commuter 8 speed Alfine hub sometime.

I have read that slathering the inards in grease is preferable to using oil, as oil can leak out onto the disc.

I've used this in my 8 speed Alfine and Nexus hubs for the past few years :thumbsup:

https://www.classic-oils.net/Castrol-Spheerol-LEPO
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14386 on: 02 April, 2020, 01:15:58 pm »
Swapped out the LH 165mm SunXCD crank on HK’s Kinesis Tripster AT for a spare 170mm crank (same type). Also swapped the SPDs for Look Keo (used with a cleat spacer) to accommodate HK’s leg length difference.

Why the change? The pedal eye broke during her ride this morning. Time to get another 165mm LH SunXCD crank.

« Reply #14387 on: 02 April, 2020, 10:23:42 pm »
Yesterday I took my new bike for a ride and noticed a slight ticking noise as I pedalled. Only when I pedalled, in all gears, sitting or standing, either foot off the pedal. Today I found and fixed the cause: a cable tie that I'd forgotten to cut.  :-[

« Reply #14388 on: 03 April, 2020, 05:03:33 pm »
Day before yesterday T swapped out the winter studded tyres for tubeless summer commuter tyres.  Put on a 38 gravel tyre but could not get it to inflate whatever i did.  I suddenly realised it was a fairly stiff wall tyre which had been sitting in the unheated garage.  I left in our airing cupboard overnight and it inflated immediately in the morning.  Then I noted that it was too big and was binding on the mudguard so off it came and two new sector 32 were put on instead.

16 tooth freewheel ordered for the summer and anew bottom bracket to fit next week.

The normality of such activities in the midst of the hospital mayhem was lovely.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14389 on: 03 April, 2020, 06:27:09 pm »
Replaced a slowly deflating rear tube on my Frezoni and washed it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14390 on: 03 April, 2020, 09:44:41 pm »
Replaced a slowly deflating rear tube on my Frezoni and washed it.

Did that help you find the leak?  ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14391 on: 03 April, 2020, 10:14:50 pm »
English is a language that particularly encourages object/ subject confusions. Always fun.

Repairing punctured tubes is part of HK’s bike responsibilities. Unfortunately washing my bikes is not. That is my problem, along with almost everything that combines malfunctioning bikes and dirty hands.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #14392 on: 04 April, 2020, 05:45:09 am »
Changed from winter tyres (Durano Plus) to summer (Conti contact speed).

My first non-Schwalbe tyres in about 8 years!

Sadly the Durano Plus are no longer made in 20” size and the choice of other narrow tyres with puncture protection is virtually non-existent. I need 28-406 due to the turning circle on the Milan - with 40-406 I can basically only ride in a straight line.

I have 4 Durano plus remaining in stock, which will do me for the next two winters. I used to wear them in summer too but now I am saving them. Tyre change in summer isn’t a big issue but in winter and the dark is no fun!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14393 on: 04 April, 2020, 09:50:18 am »
Fixed workshop's double doors where the dogs had run into them too often and burst the bolts out of the "fixed" side - fiddly job, half archaeology and fighting with ancient nails.

Removed the Eurocylinder lock from the front door & greased the tab that engages the deadbolt, then did the same for the workshop. All smooth now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14394 on: 04 April, 2020, 02:44:06 pm »
Fitted a decaleur to the audax tandem to better stabilise the handlebar bag. Like so many things, it is more complex than you might have thought.

Swapped out the slotted Rivet Independence Ti saddle on my fixed commuter with a Gilles Berthoud Aspin that has just come back from loan. The Rivet is just too narrow for this little black duck for anything beyond a 200 and not particularly great for the commute. I may get a slotted replacement top for the GB, as the leather is starting to flare.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14395 on: 04 April, 2020, 02:45:18 pm »
Swapped the brake pads on the Holdsworth from Kool-Stop Dura salmon pads for much cheaper Fibrax pads, the old-fashioned type with steel shoes.  Seems like a downgrade, but the geometry of centre-pull brakes and narrow rims means you want a thick pad to push the arms outwards, and it helps if it has an asymmetric chamfered face like the Fibrax ones, so that it makes flat contact with the rim despite cosine error.

There is no toe adjustment with the Fibrax pads.  Therefore it is done the old fashioned way, with a large spanner on the brake arm.  Bend in one direction only to reduce chances of fatigue, keep checking, stop when just right.  At least it's a once-only job.

The brakes were actually ok with dual-pivots and "aero" levers but it all looked wrong.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #14396 on: 04 April, 2020, 07:59:26 pm »
Downloaded Zwift to use with the turbo. I think that counts as fettling in these virtual cycling days. It's a learning curve. Apparently they have had to create a completely new world because of covid19.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #14397 on: 04 April, 2020, 10:07:04 pm »
Did some (very) belated pruning and tying in of rambling roses.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14398 on: 04 April, 2020, 10:46:18 pm »
I cut the grass today. I hate cutting the grass   ;)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #14399 on: 04 April, 2020, 11:54:34 pm »
Serviced Some scaffold clips , adjusted the drive shafts on the trike again , adjusted the rear mech and hanger on the trike again . lo and behold I can now get all seven gears on the back and three on the front . It's only taken me 8 months to get them all working . Feeling on a roll I striped off the horrible ergo handlebars / A head set stem / conversion too replace them  . I fitted my old Cinelli 26.4mm  66/44 bars and quill stem , final adjustment and tighten look underneath bloody great crack in the stem . look in the shed three 26mm A head set stems , one very old  25.4mm quill stem  , one short 31.6mm a head set stem and a set of naff narrow 26mm egro handle bars .
Its More Fun With Three .