Author Topic: Recommend me a Computer for Writing  (Read 1633 times)

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Recommend me a Computer for Writing
« on: 29 July, 2020, 08:53:21 pm »
My eight-year-old PC is starting to sound like a tractor, so it's time for something better.I need something:
  • Quiet and quick-booting
  • Reliable
  • Fairly Small (if it can mount on the back of a monitor, so much the better
  • Capable of working with a 4K/UltraHD monitor if ever I can afford to upgrade.
I use it mainly for writing and editing, spending most of my time in Word of Scrivener, so it looks like a Chromebox or Linux is out,
Jennifer - Walker of hills

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: Recommend me a Computer for Writing
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2020, 08:54:39 pm »
Perhaps just needs a new CPU fan? Or a new PSU?

« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2020, 12:47:16 am »
Don't know Scrivener, but Linux has Word-like programs (Libre or Open Office) and Chrome has google docs.  Both will let you use office 365 via teh net.

Do you have a budget?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ian

« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2020, 09:22:12 am »
Scrivener works on a Mac or Windows, so them's your limits. I used it on Mac. I'm happy.

You can either use a small format PC or a MacMini with an external monitor or a laptop to power it.

All down to budget really, neither of those applications will tax anything vaguely recent, I sometimes use a decade old Macbook Air...

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2020, 09:25:45 am »
Fairly Small (if it can mount on the back of a monitor, so much the better

You are asking for a NUC  then   https://simplynuc.co.uk/
Lots of models to choose from, but your 4K requirement probably narrows it down.

« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2020, 10:02:08 am »
A Lenovo ThinkCentre P330 or similar would fit the tiny bill. They mount on the back of monitors as well using a VESA mount. 4K if you buy the right one.
Second hand they are reasonably cheap:

P330 Tiny 4K on eBay

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

JennyB

« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2020, 10:23:57 am »
Fairly Small (if it can mount on the back of a monitor, so much the better

You are asking for a NUC  then   https://simplynuc.co.uk/
Lots of models to choose from, but your 4K requirement probably narrows it down.
Yes, that is interesting NI-based too, I see. A bit outside my budget (I was thinking around 400) but it might be worth it.

« Reply #7 on: 30 July, 2020, 01:05:38 pm »
Almost any of the ultra small dells would sit in a cradle on the back of a monitor. For basic word processing the i3 or i5 would do really well. They have an external power supply which helps keep heat down.

« Reply #8 on: 30 July, 2020, 01:47:40 pm »
Scrivener works on a Mac or Windows, so them's your limits.

And iPad – which also runs MS Office.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9 on: 30 July, 2020, 02:35:00 pm »
Perhaps just needs a new CPU fan? Or a new PSU?

A SSD would probably make it quieter, and quicker.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #10 on: 02 August, 2020, 08:57:53 am »
Thinking about Linux and Chromebooks, Office365 should run in the browser

I have a Jetson Nano and they are stunningly good value.  Nvidia GPU on board. Drives 2 monitors at 4K
https://www.siliconhighwaydirect.co.uk/product-p/945-13450-0000-000.htm
These run Ubuntu Linux - so just use Office via the browser.

the latest Raspberry Pi is very well specced...
https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b?variant=31994565689406

Dual 4K monitors and 8Gbytes RAM. I would get one of these with a case which fits on the back of your monitor.

« Reply #11 on: 02 August, 2020, 09:10:19 am »
https://build5nines.com/run-office-365-apps-on-ubuntu-with-an-open-source-web-app-wrapper/

Looks interesting. I would get a Jetson Nano or a Pi and use this to run Office.

« Reply #12 on: 04 August, 2020, 09:39:18 am »
Jenny? I write too and use both open office and Scriviner. I just bought for circa £250 a thinkpad, a reconditioned one which came immaculately presented. It runs win10 pro and has no issues at all with Scriviner. For writing very little power is needed as its hardly video editing?

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 04 August, 2020, 02:33:02 pm »
Writing (my experience is mostly technical) is a bit like coding; you can do it on a small screen if you have to, but it's much nicer to be able to see your reference material and notes at the same time as what you're working on.  You don't need a high-performance computer, but large screens (they don't need to be particularly good ones) or second monitors are always lovely

JennyB

« Reply #14 on: 04 August, 2020, 05:12:00 pm »
Writing (my experience is mostly technical) is a bit like coding; you can do it on a small screen if you have to, but it's much nicer to be able to see your reference material and notes at the same time as what you're working on.  You don't need a high-performance computer, but large screens (they don't need to be particularly good ones) or second monitors are always lovely

Very much so, especially since my 64-year-old eyes are not what they used to be.

« Reply #15 on: 04 August, 2020, 05:57:02 pm »
For writing you want a nice keyboard and mouse, and nice big screen.  Any computer in the last 30 years will be more than powerful enough. But you’ll need to go modern hardware for software compatibility.