Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627862 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7025 on: 03 November, 2015, 05:00:02 pm »
David's slippers squeak on our tiled kitchen floor.
The waterproof mattress covers in our Majorca hotel squawked. Most unpleasant.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7026 on: 03 November, 2015, 06:30:42 pm »
When you said that "temperatures [in fog-afflicted areas of Scotland] did not get above double figures", TV's Louise Lear, I don' think that was quite what you meant...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7027 on: 03 November, 2015, 06:33:09 pm »
When you said that "temperatures [in fog-afflicted areas of Scotland] did not get above double figures", TV's Louise Lear, I don' think that was quite what you meant...
Well it's true ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #7028 on: 03 November, 2015, 07:54:51 pm »
My new blue suede shoes (actually chukkas) squeak when I walk:-(

It's my socks on the leather insole.  Doesn't happen with the other 2 pairs from this manufacturer.

Talcum powder or something else ?

It's the sock/shoe interface,  wool socks don't appear to squeak (have just done the SCIENCE!)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7029 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:16:48 am »
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/nov/05/bristol-conundrum-gentrification-danger-poor-really-stretched-stokes-croft-george-ferguson
No! PRSC are self-important commercial exploiters of a pseudo-non-commerciality, Chris Chalkley is the self-appointed king of the republic and he parks his Mighty Banana van like an uncaring fud! However, Cafe Kino is very good and if those flats are really going for £210 then who knows...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7030 on: 06 November, 2015, 09:01:36 am »
£4.20 a pint?  :o

« Reply #7031 on: 06 November, 2015, 09:40:16 am »
When I suggested that on bonfire night I could get some wood and have a fire in the garden, I had in mind family sitting around a nice fire while the sky flashes with fireworks.

Not 8 strange teenagers bombing vodka jellyshots while playing bad 80s music on their phones. I took myself off to bed with a headache.

Sat I'll be cleaning the entire house, sweeping and vacuuming up the sand they tracked through every room. joy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7032 on: 07 November, 2015, 10:39:37 pm »
Sat I'll be cleaning the entire house, sweeping and vacuuming up the sand they tracked through every room. joy.
I got home with a fair dose of migraine wierdness and headache to find that kids had washed up everything. Not done any sweeping or shaken sand off cushions, but they had washed up everything. They then helped me with the cushions.

It still took nearly 2hours of sweeping and vaccuming, but I felt a lot better because they'd made a start on cleaning up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7033 on: 09 November, 2015, 08:41:58 am »
Fire & brimstone on the heads of Home Office excreta who make passport renewal forms available on-line but encrypt and lock them so that Acrobat's Typewriter function won't work and neither will "print as PDF".  Have to print the bastards out, fill in by hand then scan a copy for safekeeping. Back to the Stone Age. <imprecations />
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7034 on: 09 November, 2015, 06:20:24 pm »
I do no t know whether the recreation of the Battle of the Somme outside is celebrating the Gunpowder Plot, Diwali or some unholy mashup of the two but I would like it please to stop so I can watch the news without turning the amp up to 11.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7035 on: 09 November, 2015, 06:27:06 pm »
Fire & brimstone on the heads of Home Office excreta who make passport renewal forms available on-line but encrypt and lock them so that Acrobat's Typewriter function won't work and neither will "print as PDF".  Have to print the bastards out, fill in by hand then scan a copy for safekeeping. Back to the Stone Age. <imprecations />

Oooh, I shall have fun issuing them with an Equality Act accessibility complaint then. My passport is due for renewal Sept 2016, so I can apply from Jan... Plenty of time to troll the fuckers and cheat if I have to but... WHYYYYYY.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7036 on: 09 November, 2015, 06:58:24 pm »
Oooh, I shall have fun issuing them with an Equality Act accessibility complaint then. My passport is due for renewal Sept 2016, so I can apply from Jan... Plenty of time to troll the fuckers and cheat if I have to but... WHYYYYYY.

My passport expires in August 2016 and is 10 years old this month. I can't hold a pen (but don't think being unable to write makes me illiterate).
There might be fun here too!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7037 on: 09 November, 2015, 08:24:49 pm »
What is the procedure for adults who cannot physically sign? Or indeed who are illiterate? Children's passports have "The holder is not required to sign" (I'm not sure up to what age), is there any provision for the same in appropriate adults' passports?

barakta

« Reply #7038 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:23:25 am »
Not sure. Sometimes you can have a power of attorney letter thing which goes in with it but I don't know about adults with competence who just can't sign...  In practice to get shit done: someone probably fudges a signature and hopes for the best in reality...

ian

« Reply #7039 on: 10 November, 2015, 09:25:48 am »
There's a section on the passport form for someone to sign on your behalf if for some reason and I believe they'll complete it by phone for you if needed.

Adobe have fucked up PDF forms since forever.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7040 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:30:11 am »
Thumbprint in blood?

ian

« Reply #7041 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:38:56 am »
I believe they give you a US passport if you send them a picture of yourself wearing nothing more or less than a leopard print g-string (bikini for the ladies), sunglasses and a semi-automatic assault rifle.

I've not tried it, H1-B status didn't require the leopard print.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #7042 on: 11 November, 2015, 05:50:31 pm »
We have a 2.5 line whip to dress up as a "childhood hero" for CiN, orders of boss2 as boss3 is doing it, and possibly boss4.
I can't recall having had a childhood hero.  Nor do I care much for dressing up.

[I do, however, have a shalwar kameez (and a sari but I don't fancy trying to cycle to work or to anywhere else whilst wearing it).  So I will claim that Charulata Mukheree (woman's actvist, apparently) was my childhood hero.]
(More info on Charulata ratefuly received  ;D)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

barakta

« Reply #7043 on: 11 November, 2015, 06:41:23 pm »
Ugh, mandatory dressing up.  I shall hide from world on Friday if it's CiN else my rants will make people RUN AWAY.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7044 on: 11 November, 2015, 06:43:11 pm »
I might just stay in my cycling gear and claim I'm Bradley Wiggins/Chris Froome if anyone suggests stuff at work.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #7045 on: 11 November, 2015, 07:57:33 pm »
We're just having CAEK.
And MrsC has offered to make some for me to take in on Friday as I'm working away until Thursday evening.  :smug:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7046 on: 11 November, 2015, 08:16:44 pm »
We have a 2.5 line whip to dress up as a "childhood hero" for CiN, orders of boss2 as boss3 is doing it, and possibly boss4.
I can't recall having had a childhood hero.  Nor do I care much for dressing up.

[I do, however, have a shalwar kameez (and a sari but I don't fancy trying to cycle to work or to anywhere else whilst wearing it).  So I will claim that Charulata Mukheree (woman's actvist, apparently) was my childhood hero.]
Google images show her exclusively wearing a sari. But then they all seem to come from Bollywood and may not relate to the same Charulata. But if you just want an excuse to say a salwar kameez is dressing up, you could say you're Mayawati and demand everyone make a statue of you!

« Reply #7047 on: 11 November, 2015, 08:58:44 pm »

Pick a school teacher from Grange Hill and dress up as them.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #7048 on: 12 November, 2015, 12:41:51 am »
(Imagines Arabella as "Bullet" Baxter.  Has brain embolism)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7049 on: 12 November, 2015, 08:05:10 am »
Eczemas decorations going up everywhere. Wish they'd put them right up.