Author Topic: training tips for 600kms audax events  (Read 49527 times)

training tips for 600kms audax events
« on: 05 December, 2010, 06:10:54 pm »
Hi all dont know if it is on here i can post this but wondering on what to do regarding training, eating and sleeping for 600kms events or if anyone on here can give me a few pointers.
Climb every mountain, onwards and upwards.
Next event:- ??????

LEE

Re: training tips for 600kms audax events
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2010, 06:14:01 pm »
Ride a 200, 300 and 400, in that order, and you'll be prepared for a 600.

« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2010, 06:16:19 pm »
LEE's advice is pretty good; you'll figure out what your issues are on the earlier rides, and how to deal with them.

What length rides have you done to date?

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2010, 06:18:06 pm »
LEE's advice is pretty good; you'll figure out what your issues are on the earlier rides, and how to deal with them.

What length rides have you done to date?

Have done much over 150kms in past few years but have done 200kms before.

« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2010, 06:41:28 pm »
Don't push yourself too hard during the ride, just take it steady.

Pick your battles,for your first 600 find the easiest, flattest one around.When you've done one you will have much more confidence.

Get plenty of sleep in the week before the event.

Lay off the booze for a couple of weeks before you attempt a 600k event.

Break the ride up into sections between controls. i.e. "only another 40 miles and then I can have a rest".

Eat and drink every hour or so.

Just keep moving forward. Don't faff about every time you stop.

No matter how slow a rider you are, if you keep riding, rather than sitting at the side of the road feeling sorry for yourself, you WILL finish in time.

You have, IIRC 39 hours to do 375miles. That's under 10 miles an hour. Anybody can ride a bike at 10 miles an hour.

You don't have to be a fast rider to finish a 600, you just have to be able to grind out the miles and be stoic.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #5 on: 05 December, 2010, 06:45:35 pm »
Don't push yourself too hard during the ride, just take it steady.

Pick your battles,for your first 600 find the easiest, flattest one around.When you've done one you will have much more confidence.

Get plenty of sleep in the week before the event.

Lay off the booze for a couple of weeks before you attempt a 600k event.

Break the ride up into sections between controls. i.e. "only another 40 miles and then I can have a rest".

Eat and drink every hour or so.

Just keep moving forward. Don't faff about every time you stop.

No matter how slow a rider you are, if you keep riding, rather than sitting at the side of the road feeling sorry for yourself, you WILL finish in time.

You have, IIRC 39 hours to do 375miles. That's under 10 miles an hour. Anybody can ride a bike at 10 miles an hour.

You don't have to be a fast rider to finish a 600, you just have to be able to grind out the miles and be stoic.

thanks for the advice i am planning to do the seething 600kms is that fairly flat would u know?

« Reply #6 on: 05 December, 2010, 06:56:05 pm »
I agree with all of the above - a base level of fitness will get you around.

However I should add that you should develop the ability to make friends and talk rubbish with complete strangers.  An hour spent talking is an hour when you're not alone with your thoughts obsessing about how tired you feel. how sore your bum is or whatever demons you can conjure up for yourself!

Liam

« Reply #7 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:04:08 pm »
I am planning to do the Seething 600km. Is that fairly flat, would you know?

It'll be as flat as a very flat thing. The highest point in Norfolk is only 103 m high, and neighbouring Suffolk and Cambridgeshire are hardly any higher. There might be annoying headwinds, though.

« Reply #8 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:06:55 pm »

It'll be as flat as a very flat thing. The highest point in Norfolk is only 103 m high, and neighbouring Suffolk and Cambridgeshire are hardly any higher. There might be annoying headwinds, though.
Thanks for advice as long as it is flat i can put up with the headwinds

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:09:38 pm »
Read all abaaaaahd it!

Still Seething 600
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:14:15 pm »

You might wish to consider changing your forum name.  ;)

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:15:28 pm »

Norfolk and Suffolk are flatter than many counties, but not as flat as fenland. Suffolk is more rolling than Norfolk.

The Seething 600 is an excellent first 600. Lots of friendly TLC.

Riding a 600 is about time. Time on the bike, and potentially time not asleep. These are the defining factors IMHO.

« Reply #12 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:25:37 pm »
so how do people put up with sleep on these 600kms any tips

« Reply #13 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:26:23 pm »

You might wish to consider changing your forum name.  ;)

Pmsl at changing my forum name

« Reply #14 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:29:25 pm »
Dai,
I'm blowing my own trumpet but my first Audax was the Brian Chapman 600, I was 10 minutes outside the time. I did it as a preparation for LEL which had grabbed my interest.
I'd done similar mileage to what you have done, Wild Wales and a couple of sportives, so I'd say that if you can do a 100 miles then everything after that is more mental than physical. I'd agree with Blades advice and add that you should make sure your bike is comfortable for you and servicable.

Don't be a sissy though, do something with a few hills in it.
Regards
Steve

« Reply #15 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:31:38 pm »
I am pleased somebody started this thread,because I've still to do a 600km ride.The Seething ride looks promising.All this years 600s seem to be a little early this year(because of PBP I think).The other option is to ride with Rich Forrest and Teethgrinder in September.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:36:39 pm »
Persuade yourself that you can do it.
Learn the difference between major and minor discomforts; know which can be ignored and which must be sorted before they become a major event-stopping pain.
Make a mental list of everything you wish to do at a control before you arrive; do things efficiently, without excessive faffing.
Eat:
In the week before a ride; going hungry might run down glycogen stores.
Regularly on the ride; do not wait for controls. Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty.
As soon as you stop riding for any reason, especially if that's a p*nct*re or other mechanical. The food's best absorbed when not exercising and a bit more sugar helps clearer thought. (This might also be the last time you have cleanish hands.)
Don't let yourself get to hot, too cold, too tired or too dry. Make sure your clothing is suitable for the weather and you have carrying capacity for excess.
A full bladder can impair performance; deal with this sooner rather than later.
Good luck!
Enjoy Audax!

« Reply #17 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:44:49 pm »
A first 600 is nearly always an epic event. The sense of achievement at making it is a huge reward. As said above, preparation, at minimum, comes down to doing the lower distances, working up to it. It's difficult to predict whether it will be hard or not so hard, because everyone's different. Just give it your best shot; if you go at it half-arsed you probably won't succeed.

Billy Weir

« Reply #18 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:46:48 pm »
LEE hit the nail on the head.  If you want to do a 600km in relative comfort, you have to build up to it.

The best way to do that is to get some miles in over the winter, hit doing 200s in March, 300s in April, 400s in May and you'll be pretty much ready for a 600 in June.  Be organised/methodical but don't obsess.

I'd suggest doing 2 400s in May.  One to get your first night time ride out of the way (which is a big hurdle) and the second to try and sort out things that didn't work for you on that first ride.

Having a programme of long rides has a couple of other benefits.  Not least, toughening up your seat bones.  And also testing your equipment out.

« Reply #19 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:50:26 pm »
Well i am feeling a bit apprehensive about the longer events as i have yet to do over 210kms in ay audax event to date and have i chosen to bite off more than i can chew as the longer eevents are early on in the season due to PBP. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Chris S

« Reply #20 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:51:11 pm »
Ask Father Christmas to stick a copy of Simon Doughty's book in your stocking this year:

The Long Distance Cyclists' Handbook: Amazon.co.uk: Simon Doughty: Books

Excellent reading for dark winter nights, and everything - yes, everything you'll ever need to know to build up to, and ride a 600.

« Reply #21 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:55:11 pm »
Ask Father Christmas to stick a copy of Simon Doughty's book in your stocking this year:

Excellent reading for dark winter nights, and everything - yes, everything you'll ever need to know to build up to, and ride a 600.
I have all ready read his book thanks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:55:27 pm »

Small typo in the description:
Packed with straightforward information, The Long Distance Cyclist's Handbook details the preparation and equipment needed to take a novice from the challenge of a 50-mile charity ride to gearing up and comfortably covering 66 km in a weekend randonnee.  :facepalm:

I thought that book was out of print? Whatever, it always gets good reviews in audax circles.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #23 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:56:27 pm »

I have all ready read his book thanks.

Excellent.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #24 on: 05 December, 2010, 07:57:50 pm »
The faster you are the more sleep you can potentially get on the ride.

If you can, join forces with other riders. My first 400 was ridden with Chris N & TOBY. The weather was grim but we had a laugh and their company made things easier. Good to be with others to get you moving, rather than faffing when it's pissing down.

My first 600 was the Bryan Chapman and I rode it all with Ural Kunst. There's a sleep stop after 390 km and we didn't mess around on Day #1 to ensure we'd get plenty of sleep that night. I think I managed 5½ hours. Day #2 was a relaxed trip back to Chepstow. 
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/