Author Topic: Lions tour 2013  (Read 7859 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Lions tour 2013
« on: 30 April, 2013, 11:48:37 am »
Announced today.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Lions tour 2013
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2013, 12:15:36 pm »
Gatland has said he'll only take two fly-halfs, so it's Sexton and Wilkinson with Farrell going as a centre.

Well, he's lived up to that promise, but the two are Sexton and Farrell, with no possible covering players in other positions. Big gamble on neither of them getting injured...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2013, 02:06:30 pm »
Gatland has said he'll only take two fly-halfs, so it's Sexton and Wilkinson with Farrell going as a centre.

Well, he's lived up to that promise, but the two are Sexton and Farrell, with no possible covering players in other positions. Big gamble on neither of them getting injured...

Yeah, I find it strange that he's taken Farrell over Wilkinson, or even just two fly-halfs, especially as there's no-one else who looks like they can play there at that level if neccessary [Conor Murray?, Stuart Hogg?].  Over the course of the tour they may suffer from some lack of utility players.

Some non form players have been picked.  Dylan Hartley over Rory Best?  Not exactly set the world on fire this season.  A few other surprises, Maitland on the wing [I'd have picked Ben Foden, plays wing, full back and scrumhalf], Jamie Heaslip, Richie Gray [great player on his day but not had a good season and struggled with injury, Joe Launchbury very unlucky not to go], Dan Lydiate [again a great player but picked on last season's outstanding form].

Matt Stevens' selection I can understand, he plays both tight and loose head and will probably be on the bench for all the matches.

And Chris Robshaw loses out because he's not a genuine open-side,even though he's had a great season apart from the Wales match.  He would have been the ideal mid-week captain.

Obviously a lot goes on behind the scenes, but there's a few definate surprises in the squad.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2013, 02:46:19 pm »
Dylan Hartley over Rory Best?  Not exactly set the world on fire this season.

I don't rate Dylan Hartley at the best of times, and for him to be picked ahead of Rory Best is baffling. I don't get it.

Matt Stevens' selection I can understand, he plays both tight and loose head and will probably be on the bench for all the matches.

Again, I'm not a fan of Matt Stevens but I can see why he's been picked.

Obviously a lot goes on behind the scenes, but there's a few definate surprises in the squad.

Indeed. I suppose he has certain ideas about the balance of the team and how he wants them to play, and he's picked players accordingly. Even bearing that in mind, I can't work out some of the selections.

Psychler

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2013, 04:35:23 pm »
Apparently, Wilkinson ruled himself out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22351634

« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2013, 05:06:04 pm »
I went to a couple of games during the 2001 tour in Australia. The tour match against NSW (the one where that Aussie bloke got Ronan O'Gara in a head lock then repeatedly punched him) and also the final test which the Lions fucking lost  ::-)

It was a great atmosphere when they were in town - I saw quite a few of the Lions in my local boozer when they were training in Manly. I cannot believe that was 12 years ago! Doesn't feel like it...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2013, 08:36:03 pm »

I think there's a bit of stage management going on.  He can't be named in the initial squad because of his contractual obligation to Toulon.  I'll offer a fiver on him flying out during the tour..

« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2013, 08:38:54 pm »
More kiwis than Scots too!

Psychler

« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2013, 12:03:37 am »

I think there's a bit of stage management going on.  He can't be named in the initial squad because of his contractual obligation to Toulon.  I'll offer a fiver on him flying out during the tour..

Wouldn't be surprised, can't really see that Gatland only checked his availability that recently!

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 01 May, 2013, 08:43:50 am »
Well, his availability only became an issue after the weekend's results - which makes me wonder how different the squad would have looked if Sarries had won...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2013, 08:56:13 am »
Well, his availability only became an issue after the weekend's results - which makes me wonder how different the squad would have looked if Sarries had won...

The possibility of his selection only became an issue after the weekend's results as well, seeing him so comprehensively outplay Farrell.

citoyen

« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2013, 10:42:45 am »
He's been in pretty good form for a while and has been racking up *loads* of points in the Top 14, which I'm sure Gatland was aware of, even if the Top 14 doesn't get reported on much in the British press. He also played outstandingly against Leicester in the HC quarter-final.

Tbh, I was expecting Saracens to beat Toulon though.

Psychler

« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2013, 04:16:50 pm »
Well Dylan Hartley won't be going 11 week ban for calling Wayne Barnes a "F**king cheat".  Numpty!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #13 on: 26 May, 2013, 07:42:01 pm »
It is a bloody stupid thing to do.

However,

Hartley could have could have become England captain in 2012 but missed out after being given an eight-week ban for biting Ireland's Stephen Ferris.
He was also given a two-week ban in December 2012 for striking Best.
Those incidents followed a 26-week ban in 2007 for "making illegal contact with the eye area" of Wasps players Johnny O'Connor and James Haskell. That ban ended his chances of making England's squad for the that year's World Cup.

makes him look like a dangerous idiot anyway. Poking one player in the eye could be regarded as a misfortune...

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22674429

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 27 May, 2013, 08:08:27 am »
I was surprised Hartley was selected ahead of Best in the first place. Not disappointed to see the back of him.

In other news, I saw Jonny was named player of the season in the Top 14 the other day.

« Reply #15 on: 30 May, 2013, 11:09:21 pm »
As an Australian who watched Wilkinson kick those effing goals back in 2003, I hope the rotten mongrel bastard stays well away from the English squad!!  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #16 on: 30 May, 2013, 11:18:20 pm »
As an Australian who watched Wilkinson kick those effing goals back in 2003, I hope the rotten mongrel bastard stays well away from the English squad!!  ;D

What English squad would that be? Wilkinson announced his retirement from the England team about 18 months ago.

« Reply #17 on: 30 May, 2013, 11:47:29 pm »
Good.  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #18 on: 31 May, 2013, 12:02:58 am »
What have you got against a great player doing what he does best?

Re: Lions tour 2013s
« Reply #19 on: 01 June, 2013, 09:27:38 pm »
Nice win for Wales today, with a guest appearance from Paul O'Connell.   :P

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #20 on: 04 June, 2013, 11:44:34 am »
The Grauniad, along with a few elder statesmen of UK rugby, are selecting their 50 greatest lions of all time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/interactive/2013/jun/04/rugby-union-50-greatest-british-irish-lions give nos 31to 50.

I'm a bit surprised that some of those players are so low, Graham Price and Johnny Wilkinson particularly.

My guess for the Top 10:

Gareth Edwards
John Dawes
Willy John McBride
Phil Bennett
JPR Williams
Gerald Davies
Barry John
Mike Gibson
Mervyn Davies
John Taylor

Sandy Carmichael, John Pullin and Fergus Slattery must be up there somewhere as well.

Psychler

« Reply #21 on: 04 June, 2013, 11:53:38 am »
Martin Johnson should be up there in the top ten, he did captain two tours after all.

I think that a list of the greatest players never to have played for the Lions would be better.

I'll start off with Dai Morris

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #22 on: 04 June, 2013, 01:56:44 pm »
That's true. I know one young rugby player who regards Johnson as "the best player of all time". He was quite hurt when I laughed!

Psychler

« Reply #23 on: 04 June, 2013, 02:17:21 pm »
That's true. I know one young rugby player who regards Johnson as "the best player of all time". He was quite hurt when I laughed!

"The best player of all time" Johnson is not.  I doubt the best player of all time would be anywhere on a greatest British and Irish Lions list.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24 on: 04 June, 2013, 02:35:54 pm »
Don't be silly! The top 10 would be Welsh  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.