Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 153447 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #250 on: 22 June, 2016, 05:42:43 pm »
Took the trailer to Mr Sainsbury's emporium of toothy comestibles.  Loaded it up with fruit juice, tins, jars, rice and other ballast.  Noticed the trailer tyres now looking rather BSOish.  Dug out the Cyclaire and started groping about for something to extract the thingy for conversion to Poxy Schrader Valve mode.  Found a CO2 inflator lurking in the bag from the last MTB ride.  Used that instead.  Got laughed at by fellow cyclist for still being there when he returned from the shops.  "You might as well have used the car." he said.  "Yeahbut I can park this in my front room, rather than halfway up the street and have to carry everything." said I.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #251 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:59:47 am »
Nah, if you'd used the car you'd still have been circulating the car park by the time you'd got the tyre inflated.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #252 on: 23 June, 2016, 01:28:38 pm »
Just popping out to the stupormarket. This will mean another navigation of the temporary lights and the non-lights.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #253 on: 23 June, 2016, 02:44:08 pm »
Back again. Put shopping away. Scrubbed spuds and put them in the oven. Done washing up. It really isn't far. Sometimes I prefer to walk it for that very reason – increased exposure to air!

On this trip, I forgot my mitts. I always, always ride with mitts, even the shortest distances and have done for years. Decades, in fact. But this time I forgot them and rode without. Felt fine.  ;) I also discovered that a Carradice Super C rack pack can be made to hold a 12-pack of Walker's greasiest in addition to D-lock, tool kit, spare tube and whatever else lurks in there (not mitts!). Also, I parked opposite Painsbusy's next to a glossy black large-framed Pashley.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #254 on: 23 June, 2016, 02:49:07 pm »
3.5km to the polling station and back. Only a 10 minute ride, but I spent 10 minutes tightening the chain beforehand.
First time this year I've worn my SPD sandals.

« Reply #255 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:38:32 pm »
Less than a km to the polling station.
Boy the bike feels different without all my work stuff weighing it down.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #256 on: 24 June, 2016, 01:29:40 pm »
I went to Nando's. Yes, this was utilitarian; I didn't eat anything! I had to ask about birthday cake – turns out they don't do it. Got very wet. Then on to buy books, which I managed to keep dry. Was reminded how crap rim brakes can be in the wet.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #257 on: 24 June, 2016, 04:09:33 pm »
16 miles to the supermarket and back.

The supermarket and the council really don't want you using a bicycle trailer for shopping, do they? Anti-cycling barriers on the cycle path. Anti-cycling barriers at the entry to the supermarket car park. And, in amongst the acres and acres of car parking: precisely one (1) bike parking space. Fortunately bikies laugh in the face of The Powers That Be and the barriers now have usable "bypasses" around them and, in the car park acres, imaginative fly-parking reigns supreme.

Slight nightmare on the way back. On the way out, I came across a sunk lorry blocking the road. Apart from the road surface, it's a swamp round there. I think the lorry driver found what happens when you put even one wheel off the road when you're lugging 40 tonnes of gravel. Initially, there was one rescue truck present and I was able to sneak through. On the way back, they'd obviously phoned base "we're gunna need a bigger lorry" and the entire road was blocked. All the original truck had achieved was to scour great holes in the road.

Anyway, on the return the road was impassable. A detour would have been an additional 6 miles or so. Alternatively, I could lug bike + trailer + self (in shorts & sandals) over/through a hedge, along an stream, and back over/through another hedge ditch. It seemed so easy. It wasn't. Think brambles (shorts). Think nettles. Think a 'kin heavy trailer full of shopping.

Oh well, I made it home and got some exercise. Here's a pic of the initial truck:

« Reply #258 on: 25 June, 2016, 07:20:15 pm »
15 mile multi-terrain round-trip to take cake to birthday boy Torslanda.  Excellent!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #259 on: 25 June, 2016, 08:34:05 pm »
Ooh, happy birthday, birthday boy Torslanda!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #260 on: 26 June, 2016, 10:21:04 am »
Yesterday evening, I took the stokerless tandem with me to a gig at the Basement (where as arranged I met the EldestCub) so that at the end of the evening I could give him a lift back to his dad's.

Got chatting to a chap waiting at the lights on Goodramgate, who was much quicker away than us.  We reeled him in though, and sailed past him on the little rise over the river, just after the sainsbury's roundabout.

Pancho

« Reply #261 on: 27 June, 2016, 08:04:14 pm »
Set off late and had spirited ride to the doc's.

Then got told off by nurse, "well, there's no point in me measuring your blood pressure now, is there?".

Got to go back another day.

« Reply #262 on: 27 June, 2016, 09:02:33 pm »
A very slow ride into Slough to pick up some supper from tesco. I am still on antibiotics which do not seem to be doing a lot and I am feeling a bit sluggish  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

Pancho

« Reply #263 on: 28 June, 2016, 06:16:19 pm »
Took the trailer to Mr Sainsbury's emporium of toothy comestibles.  Loaded it up with fruit juice, tins, jars, rice and other ballast.  Noticed the trailer tyres now looking rather BSOish.  Dug out the Cyclaire and started groping about for something to extract the thingy for conversion to Poxy Schrader Valve mode.  Found a CO2 inflator lurking in the bag from the last MTB ride.  Used that instead.  Got laughed at by fellow cyclist for still being there when he returned from the shops.  "You might as well have used the car." he said.  "Yeahbut I can park this in my front room, rather than halfway up the street and have to carry everything." said I.

Kim (and other trailer-shoppers), how far is your shopping run and how much do you carry on the return? And how far do you go?

My rig is as below. I'm not hugely overloaded - trailer with food (which can be quite light if it's not tins) and bottles/breakables in panniers. But I'm finding it absolutely knackering. It's a total return journey of 16 to 18 miles usually (a couple of which are off roadish) but can be 20ish miles if I go to the market. I'm having to do this three times a week and am beginning to flag.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #264 on: 28 June, 2016, 07:55:43 pm »
That one's a round trip of about 2 miles, of which the return journey is nearly all downhill.  There's a lot to be said for a supermarket at higher elevation than home.  I occasionally shop at Tesco in Quinton, which is a round trip of more like 10 miles (again, with hills), though less frequently since they stopped having sensible bulk packs of orange juice.

I suppose 40-50kg is typical if I've bulk-bought liquids and tins and things (which, along with bulky things like bogroll, is what I mostly use the trailer for - normal shopping trips are done with panniers).  That's about half my bodyweight, and therefore okay effort-wise (about the same as a piloting a tandem with a non-cyclist stoker - hard work but achievable) - it's stability under braking that's the limiting factor, and I try to avoid doing that sort of thing in the wet.

I've hauled somewhat more than that when taking waste to the tip, though.  It's about a 5 mile round trip and involves one short but steep bit of busy road, which is highly unpleasant with a heavy trailer.  If I'm going to do something like that (or requiring multiple trailer loads) then I'll use barakta's ICE trike, which has the advantage of stability, lower gears, much better braking than a DF bike and - more recently - an electric motor.   Only problem there is that you're into caravan territory - you can't see past the trailer box in the mirrors, and reversing doesn't really work.  Getting the trike in and out of the house single-handed and adjusting the boom is a fair amount of work, so I'm not tempted to use it for the monthly bulk shop.

Pancho

« Reply #265 on: 28 June, 2016, 08:28:30 pm »
40-50 kilos strikes me as a lot. But, I've never actually thought about it before. As I don't usually fill the trailer with low density bog roll but do usually fill it, I suppose I can't be far off. Particularly as the cheap Chinese gaspipe trailer itself weighs 17kg (well, that's what Amazon said - but, now I type it, it can't be true; can it?). Maybe I shouldn't be too disappointed that I'm wearing myself out despite lack of hills.

I'm hoping to get some touring in soon and will be pulling the trailer around. As the South Downs lie between me and, well, everywhere, I need to get some load lugging in my legs you see.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #266 on: 28 June, 2016, 09:56:10 pm »
40-50 kilos strikes me as a lot. But, I've never actually thought about it before.

I have a serious orange juice habit; your shopping may vary (drinkohol is the obvious dense thing that I don't buy).  The great thing about litre cartons of mostly water is you know exactly what they weigh.  Tins and jars add up quickly, too.

As I don't usually fill the trailer with low density bog roll but do usually fill it, I suppose I can't be far off. Particularly as the cheap Chinese gaspipe trailer itself weighs 17kg (well, that's what Amazon said - but, now I type it, it can't be true; can it?). Maybe I shouldn't be too disappointed that I'm wearing myself out despite lack of hills.

That sounds like a lot to me.  The Carry Freedom Y-frame Large is supposed to weigh  7.5kg, and that includes a whopping great lump of plywood.  ETA: And the 145litre plastic box I use with it weighs a bit more than 4kg.

I assume Amazon are quoting some all-up pessimistic weight including packaging for shipping purposes, but still...

I'm hoping to get some touring in soon and will be pulling the trailer around. As the South Downs lie between me and, well, everywhere, I need to get some load lugging in my legs you see.

I wonder how much the rolling resistance of the tyres (or indeed the hubs) is a factor.  It's not something I worry about for infrequent utility trips, but it's the sort of thing that deserves proper scrutiny for touring.

If trikes are nominally 12% slower than bikes, then what does adding a trailer do?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #267 on: 29 June, 2016, 09:32:45 am »
I'd second Kim's recommendation of an uphill supermarket. When I go to the supermarket, I usually take the bike. When I go to the little shops, which is where we get fruit and veg and a few other things, I usually walk. Similar distance, different directions. Another factor there is that supermarket is one stop whereas shops involve walking from one to the other then back to the bike. But it's only about a mile and a half to the furthest shop and I don't use a trailer (though I could, sort of; apparently our club has one to borrow, but no one ever does – I might have to do so as an experiment) so not relevant!

Yesterday's utilitarian adventure was to the cinema. Except it wasn't the cinema, it was a bike shop. But it wasn't a bike shop, it was a bar. If utilitarianism is the philosophy of bringing the greatest happiness to the largest number of people, that counts!

« Reply #268 on: 29 June, 2016, 07:33:46 pm »
My exploit today was getting out at 6 30 this morning towing my carry freedom city trailer over to Windsor and towing Jonathan notp trice over to saddle safari in Marlow. I left the trailer and his trice there and rode back home to Slough  :). 32 miles miles, the return run in light rain.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #269 on: 30 June, 2016, 09:33:36 am »
On Sun I loaded up the trailer - one old rusty bike plus parts, a huge pile of builder's bags, rusted workbench - and went to the tip. Not far, maybe 4-5miles round trip (roundabout route) but hard work on singlespeed.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #270 on: 30 June, 2016, 03:46:40 pm »
All the way to Toolstation (it's almost a mile!), where I was told "Keep the receipt, it might look like a Snap On but it's not."

« Reply #271 on: 30 June, 2016, 08:39:27 pm »
Sustrans work

« Reply #272 on: 30 June, 2016, 08:40:31 pm »
30 hanging baskets

« Reply #273 on: 30 June, 2016, 08:41:42 pm »
80 mile charity ride

« Reply #274 on: 30 June, 2016, 08:42:24 pm »
Just because