Author Topic: Brake caliper bolt length??  (Read 2938 times)

Brake caliper bolt length??
« on: 18 April, 2008, 09:15:30 pm »
Maybe I'm being a bit thick ???

I've just bought new carbon road forks to fit on my track bike

I also bought front brake calipers (Shimano tiagra I think) but the nut will only grip on about one thread :-\

Considering I'm planning to do time trials on it with no rear brake, how can I make it more secure

Is this a common problem as it seems that the bolt is often too short or somtimes too long

Anybody got any suggestions?

gordon taylor

Re: Brake caliper bolt length??
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2008, 09:17:44 pm »
You can buy longer brake nuts for a couple of pounds. SJS sell 20mm lengths (last time I looked) but they come in longer sizes than that from decent bike shops.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2008, 09:26:01 pm »
Aye, Mr Ernst: the "bolt" on the brake calliper stays at it is: you get a longer allen nut to go far enough into the hole in the fork crown to get enough thread onto the bolt. I guess the Bicycle Works would see you right.  :thumbsup:

PS <A certain orgainser> "I don't seem to have your entry for the Snow Roads yet." </A certain organiser>  ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2008, 11:17:22 pm »
Aye, Mr Ernst: the "bolt" on the brake calliper stays at it is: you get a longer allen nut to go far enough into the hole in the fork crown to get enough thread onto the bolt. I guess the Bicycle Works would see you right.  :thumbsup:

PS <A certain orgainser> "I don't seem to have your entry for the Snow Roads yet." </A certain organiser>  ;)

Thanks Gordy and Eck :thumbsup:

I thought that might be the solution, I didn't know you could get them so easily :thumbsup:

Eck I wondered if you would notice the lack of entry form from the Ernst household for the Snow roads ::-)

Well you see it's like this
Having enjoyed the route with the superb company of yourself, and laterly Big Jim, way back in 1999?
I fear the terain might be too challengeing for the Ernst Tandem :-[

Anyway I think we might be away off to India just before that weekend 8)