Author Topic: Considering a recumbent due to chronic low back pain - tips/advice?  (Read 17968 times)

Re: Considering a recumbent due to chronic low back pain - tips/advice?
« Reply #50 on: 17 October, 2020, 04:37:41 pm »
On the face of it, the Pelso-Brevet and Freestyle look similar, although I'm not sure the Pelso has the fore-aft seat movement which the Freestyle has.

I think the Pelso may have some fore-aft seat movement, but nothing like as much as the Freestyle, though I'll check tomorrow

Both have extendable booms. 

Are you sure? I thought that the boom on the Pelso Brevet was fixed, but available in 350mm / 13.8″ (MEDIUM) or 385mm / 15.2″ (LARGE) lengths - I'll have to ask which one the guy I'm seeing tomorrow has

Yes, I noted the modest heel strike too. Some people quickly learn to extend the leg in the direction of the tight turn during the turn, some struggle. Short cranks would help.

On a DF bike I usually use 170mm cranks, though am okay with 165mm cranks. Who actually makes cranks shorter than 165mm?

Doing a personal import on a frameset is quite straightforward, but if you wanted to purchase a complete bike through a dealer then LaidBack bikes might be happy to get one in for you. They seem keen on getting their hands on new models for "evaluation".

I might drop LaidBack bikes an email, though I guess it's possible one of Oxford's bike shops might be able to build up the bike from a frameset for me, Warlands perhaps, think they've worked on some recumbents before

I think big wheels, long wheelbases and no suspension is the way to go if you want to be quick.

I'd like to be pretty quick on the bike, as want to cycle with some of my roadie friends without holding them back too much

Balance is easier the higher off the ground you are too. That's the dilemma in the bent world if you're not tall. My balance and agility are compromised too so high racers are not an option for me. I had to look at LWBs instead, hence the RANS Stratus XP which I imported as a frameset.

Okay, I think my balance and agility are pretty good, it's just lower back pain (and sometimes neck pain) that's the problem for me when riding - well not just riding, these days I have lower back pain even when not riding, but it's worse when I ride DF bikes.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #51 on: 17 October, 2020, 04:39:50 pm »
Agree, personal import of framesets is straight forward.

The Schlitter website has an "out of stock" message when I try to access their order form :-(

https://form.jotform.com/202344354234144

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:02:44 pm »
On a DF bike I usually use 170mm cranks, though am okay with 165mm cranks. Who actually makes cranks shorter than 165mm?

You can get a little shorter (160mm, maybe less) from the likes of Spa Cycles and SJS.

I've had various cranks shortened by https://highpath.co.uk/ to good effect.  (I've got a leg-length mismatch which causes Achilles problems on recumbents.)  Mike Burrows has also been known to shorten cranks.

« Reply #53 on: 17 October, 2020, 07:00:38 pm »

The Schlitter website has an "out of stock" message when I try to access their order form :-(

https://form.jotform.com/202344354234144

Try their interested firm and see what the lead time is?

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #54 on: 18 October, 2020, 11:38:33 am »
That's what I did for Performer Hi-Racer.  About 3 weeks from order to delivery.  Simples.

« Reply #55 on: 18 October, 2020, 12:46:49 pm »
The other thing you can do if you want really short cranks is look at the good quality kids stuff.  I know I've seen some 145s, and while I might not be happy to hop a bike about on them at my weight, I would assume they would be find for pedalling forces.
Warlands posted a picture of them trying out an Alleweder on their facebook page.  I asked if they sold recumbents and they said no, they didn't have enough space. I would expect them to be able to work on one if you brought it in though...

« Reply #56 on: 18 October, 2020, 03:43:01 pm »
BTW today I rode a (size: large!) 700c wheeled Pelso Brevet owned by Rod in Islip, he moved the seat almost all the way forward and the bars most of the way back and it was just about about ride-able for me. I actually got the hang of riding it up and down the road relatively quickly, though wouldn't say I feel "confident", but I could see how with practice that would come. Most importantly, though, riding it didn't seem to aggravate my lower back pain. Clearly the Pelso Brevet was too big for me (I could only just manage a full length pedal stroke, but could fully put my feet on the ground), but it sounds like the Schlitter Freestyle may be a better fit - especially as I asked John Schlitter about this and he said "your height is no problem for the Freestyle. You would end up with the boom cut down around what I call the 11” length, from back of the bottom bracket shell to where the boom gets cut at." Schlitter *are* currently out of stock, but have more framesets in production and on the way soon.

« Reply #57 on: 18 October, 2020, 04:52:35 pm »
Sounds promising. I do recommend short cranks when you are specifying the build.  I reckon most people our height use them on high bottom bracket bikes, and it's more aerodynamic too  ;D

P.S. You are right about the fixed boom on the Pelso. I misinterpreted something I read. The Freestyle looks a bit more accessible to my eyes.

« Reply #58 on: 20 October, 2020, 12:19:04 pm »
Sounds promising. I do recommend short cranks when you are specifying the build.  I reckon most people our height use them on high bottom bracket bikes, and it's more aerodynamic too  ;D

I noticed that for the latest version of the Shimano 105 cranks there is a 160mm version available, so that would be one option. Was thinking of 50/34 11-42 gearing, mixing 105 upfront and 11-speed XT at the back

P.S. You are right about the fixed boom on the Pelso. I misinterpreted something I read. The Freestyle looks a bit more accessible to my eyes.

I think the Freestyle also has a longer range of travel for the seat

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #59 on: 20 October, 2020, 02:12:06 pm »
I had a 19" bottom gear on my Performer HiRacer, and that was as low as I'd want to go - it's difficult to keep a balance uphill at a gearing that low.  I  went for shorter cranks from a std 172mm, down to 160 IIRC, and that's a big help with heel strike, but you do get used to it and it becomes second nature to get the conflicted foot out if the way depending in which way you are steering.

That Schlitter is very like the Performer HiRacer, and I'd recommend that 100% for a frame build at a good price.  They are very well engineered and available off the shelf.

My X-seam is 43" so you'd have to take a good bit off the boom, but there's plenty of meat there.

« Reply #60 on: 20 October, 2020, 03:43:47 pm »
I had a 19" bottom gear on my Performer HiRacer, and that was as low as I'd want to go - it's difficult to keep a balance uphill at a gearing that low.

Think 50/34 and 11-42 would give a range of about 22" to 123", which should be plenty enough. Even with 11 speed Gaps are a bit bigger than I would like ideally, but I don't really want to go for a triple.

I  went for shorter cranks from a std 172mm, down to 160 IIRC, and that's a big help with heel strike, but you do get used to it and it becomes second nature to get the conflicted foot out if the way depending in which way you are steering.

Good to know, as I suspect with my shorter legs I will be encountering this issue, even with shorter cranks

That Schlitter is very like the Performer HiRacer, and I'd recommend that 100% for a frame build at a good price.  They are very well engineered and available off the shelf.

My X-seam is 43" so you'd have to take a good bit off the boom, but there's plenty of meat there.

Thanks, good to know.

« Reply #61 on: 20 October, 2020, 04:35:38 pm »
I run a 44/11 biggest gear combination on my recumbent and don’t find I’m under geared.  I do have a 46 ring replacement sitting in a box but overall I’m quite happy with a 44/11 top gear. 

It’s been a long time since I’ve hammered it down a hill. Too many pot holes out there. So I tend to just let the bike roll downhill whilst watching my line once the legs have reached a certain level of spin.

Maybe if I had big powerful legs I’d want a bigger high gear, but mostly I want the low ones for those last uphills when tired at the end of a long audax!

I run a triple 9 speed with bar end shifters set to friction mode.

« Reply #62 on: 20 October, 2020, 04:49:28 pm »
That Schlitter is very like the Performer HiRacer,
Looks like higher BB and space for wider tyres on the freestyle; is that all there is?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #63 on: 21 October, 2020, 11:42:56 am »
That Schlitter is very like the Performer HiRacer,
Looks like higher BB and space for wider tyres on the freestyle; is that all there is?
I imagine John Schlitter designed the Freestyle from scratch. It's notable for the longer wheelbase, horizontal seat mount, seat stay attachment points, tapered headset, internal cabling.

« Reply #64 on: 21 October, 2020, 11:44:04 am »
I run a 44/11 biggest gear combination on my recumbent and don’t find I’m under geared.  I do have a 46 ring replacement sitting in a box but overall I’m quite happy with a 44/11 top gear. 

It’s been a long time since I’ve hammered it down a hill. Too many pot holes out there. So I tend to just let the bike roll downhill whilst watching my line once the legs have reached a certain level of spin.

That's where a large front wheel and longer wheelbase will give more confidence.

« Reply #65 on: 21 October, 2020, 11:47:28 am »

Think 50/34 and 11-42 would give a range of about 22" to 123", which should be plenty enough. Even with 11 speed Gaps are a bit bigger than I would like ideally, but I don't really want to go for a triple.

You could fit 33/48 rings to your double to lower the gearing a bit. I think you'll be ok with that.

« Reply #66 on: 21 October, 2020, 12:19:30 pm »

That's where a large front wheel and longer wheelbase will give more confidence.

More confidence to crash after hitting a pot hole at speed, and having a blowout. I just don’t see the point of pedalling much beyond 30-35 mph downhill.

« Reply #67 on: 24 October, 2020, 12:02:46 pm »
How are the J-bars significantly different from any other superman bars?

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #68 on: 24 October, 2020, 01:41:49 pm »
The J-bars are adjustable for reach without affecting angle, and combined width/height without affecting reach.  Most superman bars are a fixed geometry and adjustable only at the stem for angle, though some combined height/reach adjustment is available if the stem telescopes.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #69 on: 26 October, 2020, 10:42:35 pm »
Have now put down a deposit for a Schlitter Freestyle with Laid Back bikes in Edinburgh, looks like I will be joining the dark side... Also bought some Scribe Aero Wide+ 42-D wheels for it. Should be fun!

« Reply #70 on: 27 October, 2020, 05:21:07 pm »
Excellent. Looking at the photos it certainly seems to have a wide range of adjustment for the seat and bars and the bottom of the seat it pretty low for a high racer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 27 October, 2020, 05:29:43 pm »
Lalalalala not listening...   ;)

« Reply #72 on: 27 October, 2020, 05:33:39 pm »

This does mean I will then have 4 bikes (2 DF and a Brompton, as well as this one), which is arguably one too many...

« Reply #73 on: 27 October, 2020, 05:59:17 pm »
If you find it's a solution to back pain then you have 2 DFs too many, which means you need at least one more laidback.

« Reply #74 on: 27 October, 2020, 06:08:00 pm »

This does mean I will then have 4 bikes (2 DF and a Brompton, as well as this one), which is arguably one too many...

So at least one DF will have to go.