Author Topic: Washing Machines  (Read 12272 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Washing machine woes
« Reply #25 on: 22 July, 2020, 11:58:18 am »
Yes, I was surprised to learn how often washing machines catch fire.  (I'd assumed it was driers or washer-driers during the drying cycle, but it seems to be a motor thing.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 18 August, 2020, 04:52:07 pm »
I have a new Miele on order but it will take around a fortnight to arrive.

I know I could get one more quickly from John Lewis but I want my local chaps to supply and fit. They have been really sensible throughout the COVID lockdown and I feel their prudence merits my custom. (I await a parcel of Emergency Underpants from M&S for David.)

The 'fortnight' was optimistic.
Finally received a text from my supplier today, 5 weeks after I placed my order. Hopefully new machine will be installed on Thursday.

Fingers crossed all goes OK.

5 weeks is a long time without a washing machine..

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #27 on: 18 August, 2020, 05:11:03 pm »
Sings.
Those magnificent men in their washing machines

Sorry.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #28 on: 18 August, 2020, 05:32:50 pm »
My cheapo machine is about 9 years old now.  Internet told me 10 years was about average for that level of price/quality.
Which brand?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #29 on: 18 August, 2020, 05:38:08 pm »
As reported elsewhere, our washing machine has started leaking. Being a man with tools, I decided that I could fix it, so taking it out of its slot and removing the top and back I searched for the leak. I can see the water is coming from in a vague ‘that side of the drum’ fashion, but I can’t see exactly where because the side doesn’t come off and lumps and bumps obscure any fittings from directions that can accessed.

The decision was therefore between dismantling the machine rather a lot more in the hope that it was fixable and parts, if required, would be available for reasonable money, or buy a new one and throw the old one away. I’m ashamed to say I went with the latter.  :-[
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 18 August, 2020, 05:44:05 pm »
Suspect that's wise if 'wasteful'.

Scrapping a huge behemoth for a 'small' problem causes me some disquiet.

But life is short and the thought of flooded/burnt out kitchens worries me.

I would do the same...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 20 August, 2020, 03:49:32 pm »
I HAS NEW MIELE WASHING MACHINE!

It is merrily tackling the dishcloths that have gone mouldy, waiting for attention, with a 90C cotton wash. It is VERY quiet so far, much quieter than its predecessor but seems a little flimsier and more plasticky.

Will watch...

« Reply #32 on: 20 August, 2020, 06:04:54 pm »
I could easily see my buying one as a retirement present to myself next year. But alas, even
their smallest one won't fit into the area currently occupied by a Bosch machine. I'd have to
get the who kitchen redesigned (too much faff and too spendy).

The door hinge on mine is on the left, whereas Miele has theirs on the right.

« Reply #33 on: 20 August, 2020, 09:09:14 pm »
Which model?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 20 August, 2020, 09:17:54 pm »
Which model?
WCD 120 WCS
https://www.miele.co.uk/e/w1-front-loading-washing-machine-wcd-120-wcs-8kg-lotus-white-11358760-p?gclid=CjwKCAjwr7X4BRA4EiwAUXjbt-I7sI4cXxS2aBPPSZSyeYC5KVwuLd_Z5P9iiMIL2nJpgzP3yv0NrhoCQ9gQAvD_BwE
It is very slightly larger than its predecessor but slotted in to the gap in the kitchen OK.

On its second cycle now. Overfoamed with the dishcloths, underfoaming with the 'delicate' throw that tops the piano and collected cat flea eggs.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 21 August, 2020, 05:59:29 pm »
Now quietly tackling 5 weeks' socks. Neither over nor under foaming.
David is concerned throw blanket has lost much fluffiness, as is the nature of washed fluffy things. I hope this won't jam the filter but reckon blanket won't moult into the piano so much.
Which is good.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #36 on: 07 September, 2020, 01:47:04 pm »
Well, my machine died last week.  Stopt in the middle of a run with flashing lights.  Manual says "call the support line". 
I decided it was time for a new machine as I don't know enough to repair myself.  I'm suspecting a pump/drainage problem as it spins fine and fills fine.
I now has a new machine.  It looks like a one-eyed alien.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #37 on: 07 September, 2020, 02:35:19 pm »
Well, my machine died last week.

I now has a new machine.  It looks like a one-eyed alien.
Which brand?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #38 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:23:49 pm »
Miele, again.
Seems to do the job OK.
No 50C wash of any sort. I suppose I'd stopped using 50C.
I've mostly managed to stop it bleeping, which was annoying D.
Old machine span up to 1550 and did 75C & 50C washes but only took 5kg washing.
This takes up to 8kg and has less temperature choice, spins up to 1400.
It's much quieter in operation.

Time will tell if I get 20 years from this one.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #39 on: 09 September, 2020, 11:58:15 am »
The dead one was hotpoint
The new one is samsung.  My son chose it. 
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #40 on: 11 December, 2020, 09:42:54 am »
A cycling friend of mine used to make a decent living repairing domestic appliances. He stopped, because they’re now cheaper to replace than repair.
His advice to me was to either spend usual money and expect 3years, maybe more if you use it carefully, or spend oodles on one of the very expensive ones like the Miele over £1500 ones, that are built to last.

Our Miele has died. We had a local man out to look at it yesterday, but his verdict was that replacement parts alone would cost more than £500, and that's if he could even get hold of them. Could ask an official Miele person for a second opinion but I'd guess it's unlikely to be any cheaper. Can't remember how much we paid for it originally. Maybe £900. Definitely under a grand.

It has lasted 16 years - which is not bad by the standard of modern appliances, but perhaps not as long as I expected based on reputation. Perhaps we've been a bit unlucky - the nature of the fault(s) suggests it's one of those pot luck things.

I would definitely buy another Miele but current budgetary constraints and all that...

The chap who came yesterday has recommended a Blomberg replacement for £350. Never heard of them before. Anyone have any experience? I assume they're one of these generic brands that all come out of the same factory in Eastern Europe. Spec looks good on paper, but I know better than to trust that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #41 on: 11 December, 2020, 11:57:53 am »
Blomberg it seems = Beko = German design, Turkish (or wherever) manufacture.

Apparently Beko was chosen because the parent companies are Arcelik and Kok...
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

« Reply #42 on: 11 December, 2020, 12:02:17 pm »
Blomberg it seems = Beko

I did wonder if that was the case. Thanks.

« Reply #43 on: 11 December, 2020, 12:29:28 pm »
We had a Blomberg a few years back.  High spec and cheap to buy but a lower spec replacement Bosch was a much better, quieter, more reliable machine.  The main control board developed a fault and to replace it would have cost more than the Bosch. 

On paper the Bosch was significantly lower spec but it seemed to both wash and spin more effectively.

« Reply #44 on: 11 December, 2020, 12:45:24 pm »
I too would recommend Bosch.  The wash performance of our latest (about 5 years old) is significantly better than the previous iteration, and the spin (1400 max) is quite effective, leaving moisture at a level that we can tolerate for putting on the radiators to finish off.

Also Bosch customer service has impressed me in the past.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

« Reply #45 on: 11 December, 2020, 12:45:41 pm »
On paper the Bosch was significantly lower spec but it seemed to both wash and spin more effectively.

I'm mindful that a lot of 'features' (such as preset programmes) are an unnecessary distraction. Build quality and basic washing ability is far more important. And knowing it's not going to rattle itself to death in the spin cycle. The Blomberg claims 8kg load capacity, but I'd be wary of actually doing a load that big in a cheap machine.

This was one of the reasons we chose our Miele - even the 'basic' models have the same high build quality. As you go up the range, all you're paying for most of the time is more of the frippery.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #46 on: 11 December, 2020, 12:46:41 pm »
We have a Miele.

It's just gone wrong  :(
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #47 on: 11 December, 2020, 02:19:35 pm »
I paid £750 for my basic replacement Miele in August (for which I waited 40 washing machine-free days - COVID-related supply chain issues).

That's  £100 LESS than I had paid for my 1999 Miele.

So far, so good...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #48 on: 11 December, 2020, 02:22:11 pm »
A cycling friend of mine used to make a decent living repairing domestic appliances. He stopped, because they’re now cheaper to replace than repair.
His advice to me was to either spend usual money and expect 3years, maybe more if you use it carefully, or spend oodles on one of the very expensive ones like the Miele over £1500 ones, that are built to last.

I spent £850 on my Miele 20 years ago. It has had recent issues but still mostly seems to work.

Ooops!

It died two weeks after that post...

« Reply #49 on: 11 December, 2020, 02:40:26 pm »
Does anyone actually use all the fancy options on washing machines ?

We tend to use a 40deg cycle with spin 99% of the time with an occasional really hot cycle for when something really needs it plus we always run one really hot cycle with it empty bar a washing machine cleaner once a month to blow the crap through it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.