Author Topic: W11, George rtx30xx graphics card and two monitor issue!  (Read 1024 times)

W11, George rtx30xx graphics card and two monitor issue!
« on: 21 January, 2024, 03:51:27 pm »
Our son's gaming computer has got issues detecting our new second monitor. The cables to the second monitor work when I swap the first monitor's hdmi plug with that of the second.  No problem the second monitor becomes the monitor.  So cables work.

I have one hdmi socket and 3 display sockets next to the hdmi socket that works. These three sockets are rectangular except for a corner slightly cut off. I've got the cable for these three non hdmi sockets but they don't work.  Both monitors only work on the single hdmi socket on the graphics card output.

There is a second hdmi socket on the pc but this won't work with either monitor's or cables.

How to fix this?

Re: W11, George rtx30xx graphics card and two monitor issue!
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2024, 03:55:58 pm »
Do you have to select the input on the monitor?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2024, 04:29:36 pm »
The other sockets sound like Display Port.  Are you using DP cable?  And does the monitor have DP input?

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2024, 04:55:16 pm »
I've got dp cable and ports on monitors and 3 on pc. Can't get dp ports working or the second hdmi pc port at the top separate from the others.

Turns out while we  were out walking the dog or son found a setting in w11 and selected something. When we got home it still didn't work until my oartner pulled one dp out of the pc then plugged it back in. It suddenly came on. He showed us the setting it was where you switch which monitor is left or right side.

I must admit w11 to me has a difference to it over w10 I'm used to. Might take some getting used to it when work changes our laptops over to it. Might be later this year or 2025 but I'll have to play around with it when we do get it.  Don't like being the guy who has to go to his son to fix something! :)

rr

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2024, 05:05:03 pm »
I run 2 external monitors in addition to the built-in display on my work surface pro via a surface dock. It is common for one of the external monitors not to work when I turn it on. Two things work to kick it into action: disconnect the monitor from the mains until the power lights go out and then plug it back in or unplug and replug the display cable.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2024, 06:27:44 pm »
My second monitor sometimes fails to show pictures on startup too but switching it off and on again sorts it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime