Author Topic: Theft-proof bike designs...  (Read 2842 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Theft-proof bike designs...
« on: 02 April, 2008, 03:35:26 pm »
Lifted from Wired, here's an industrial design board's attempts at theft-proof bikes.  See if you can find one that *would* work or hasn't been done before...  ;)

http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?t=15327&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: Theft-proof bike designs...
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2008, 03:43:09 pm »
Erm...wouldn't the easiest answer be "a Brompton and a bag"?

[edit: Although I do like the Richard Sachs cross bike used in the "Crotch Mangler" design on page 2, without the mangler of course...]
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2008, 03:53:14 pm »
I've had an idea.

It's a cable encased in a very loose kevlar sleeve. The space between the cable and the sleeve is filled with the same sorts of fibres used in chainsaw-protective clothing.

The idea is that the kevlar and fibres slow cutting with a hacksaw. Cutting with an angle grinder could result in a nasty accident, when the fibres wrap round the angle grinder.

The bulk of the kevlar and fibres would squish and jam in boltcroppers.

A luxury model could incorporate an alarm.

Oi, DocSquid, are you there?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2008, 03:56:27 pm »
The dye-filled lock appeals.  Cut it, get spooged; you could use one of the Smartwater systems for an identifiable ID. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2008, 04:00:08 pm »
Once you get past a certain point it'll be worth going at the object the bike is locked to, rather than the lock itself (which could be dealt with in the villains subterranean lair at a later point (once he has finished his evil cackling).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2008, 04:14:12 pm »

Oi, DocSquid, are you there?

I don't think she's here; I did not see her much in the old place either, recently.