General Category > GPS

Beeline GPS

(1/3) > >>

telstarbox:
Has anyone tried using a Beeline GPS? It pairs with your phone and simply shows an compass arrow pointing towards your destination rather than a full map.

Could be good for Audaxing if you just aim at the next control each time?

fuaran:
Following a straight line can be fun, but not really that useful for on-road navigation in my experience. How often would you get stuck on dead-end roads, or roads that swing round in the opposite direction etc.

If you wanted, you can set most Garmins to just display an arrow in a straight line to the destination. You don't have to use a map or autorouting. Even something like a basic yellow Etrex would do this.

Sea of vapours:
When I first had a hand held gps device, in 1994 or thereabouts. This used to be a game. i.e. someone puts a waypoint in and you navigate to it (driving) knowing only its distance and direction, using the big arrow and having no knowledge of final destination other than that contained within the gps device. The reason it was a good game is that road layouts, at least those in the UK, don't cooperate fully. You have to 'read' the land and assess the likelihood of a given road swinging in the right direction, how soon it might do that, consider whether it's a viable through route, etc. In other words, it's not exactly easy to interpret a direct route, but it's good fun. To be fair, it works very well where there are lots of roads and junctions; in the middle of large cities or metropolitan areas for example. Rather less efficient in rural areas, and the further north in the UK you go, broadly speaking, the more 'fun' it becomes.

Kim:
No, but I used to own an eTrex (no '30' 'Vista' Legend' or anything else), and once had a go at trudging through fields with one of the original 1990s Garmin handhelds, back in the dark days of Selective Availability.  It's perfectly possible to navigate with a device like this, if you plot the waypoints carefully.  The hardest thing is big roundabouts with lots of exits.

As for following a bearing to a destination without a complex route, that's fun if you're geocaching or orienteering, SOP in a boat or aircraft, and a recipe for frustration if you try it on the road without the aid of a map.  It's better than being lost, though.

I'm not sure I see the appeal in a device that slaves to a mapping-capable GPS receiver (ie. a smartphone) and just gives you a  bearing display, when you can do that directly on the GPS receiver.

MikeFromLFE:
Bumping this because this device now seems to support mapped tracks - as far as I can tell the thing will now import GPX files. There is a waypoint limit currently of 22, but (a) they claim to have a work-around coming soon, and (b) it seems to cope with 'unlimited' track points. I guessing it should work fine out of the box for routes without POIs.   https://ridebeeline.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020854794-Importing-a-GPX-File

Anyone using one?
Independent reviews are few & far between.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version