Author Topic: Workplace repair kit  (Read 3972 times)

Kathy

Workplace repair kit
« on: 16 April, 2008, 04:33:20 pm »
If your place of employment was to have a repair kit (held at reception to prevent vandalism/people wandering off with the contents and not returning them), what would you want to see in it?

I was thinking a track pump, some patches, GT85, tyre levers and allen keys. Anything else? I reckon people competent enough to use something like a chain breaker would usually carry one with them.

Re: Workplace repair kit
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2008, 04:34:59 pm »
If your place of employment was to have a repair kit (held at reception to prevent vandalism/people wandering off with the contents and not returning them), what would you want to see in it?

I was thinking a track pump, some patches, GT85, tyre levers and allen keys. Anything else? I reckon people competent enough to use something like a chain breaker would usually carry one with them.

You might want 14mm and 15mm spanners for those that do not have quick release wheels.   

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2008, 04:38:30 pm »
I'm thinking that anyone not competent enough to carry a repair kit with them is unlikely to be competent to use one. Have you never seen someone look blankly at a track pump, or ask which side of a patch to use.

You'd have to train the reception staff to use the kit.

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2008, 04:42:59 pm »

Depending on bike ridden I don't always carry the full toolkit.  I have been approached before to repair a bike on a day I've driven in, so had no tools. 

I'd prefer a workplace toolkit to contain everything, even if I didn't intend to use it.

To the above I'd add:-
- oil (3-in-1) as GT85 shouldn't be used on a chain <ed:  let's leave the chain lube out of this>
- Headset spanners (Across my whole fleet I have NO bikes with Aheads)
- Hammer (and punch/drift?)
- Pliers
- knife
- screwdriver (flat and philips)

Think "emergency repair" here, and there's often a need for a hammer and punch to knock something stuck out/back into line.  The same re pliers and screwdrivers (even if they're just used as a lever)

If it's a large workplace I'd also like to see a couple of brake blocks of common type (V-Brakes and Callipers) as well as a few gear and brake cables and possibly a spare chain?    These components would need to be replaced the next day by the person who needed them!

If I broke a brake cable etc on the way in to work then it'd be great to be able to spend the lunch hour getting the bike back on the road instead of trying to get to a bike shop to get the parts.

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2008, 04:43:31 pm »
I'm thinking that anyone not competent enough to carry a repair kit with them is unlikely to be competent to use one. Have you never seen someone look blankly at a track pump, or ask which side of a patch to use.

You'd have to train the reception staff to use the kit.

Or at least know who the members of the BUG were  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2008, 04:45:16 pm »

You might want 14mm and 15mm spanners for those that do not have quick release wheels.   

My bike's got 13mm and 15mm axle nuts.

But you've reminded me.  a 10mm spanner for brake components and an 8mm for the nut wot holds my lights on.

aglet

« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2008, 04:46:33 pm »

We've acquired a fair few bits over the last 2 years.  From memory:

* Work stand
 * Gallon of Finish Line dry lube + small container to decant it into
 * chain cleaner & one of those Park Chain Gang tools
 * chain wear gauge
 * allen keys
 * adjustable spanners
 * screwdrivers of various types
 * large box of rubber gloves
 * track pump

Haven't bothered with company provided "common" things like patches & tyre levers, someone always has these.

Other tools can generally be borrowed from someone else in the company on a day's notice, between us I think we could in principle do everything bar headset replacement...

Oooh, one thing that we have is an office Brompton with lights & helmet, the lights get borrowed on their own every now & again.

Kathy

« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2008, 04:49:11 pm »
If it's a large workplace I'd also like to see a couple of brake blocks of common type (V-Brakes and Callipers) as well as a few gear and brake cables and possibly a spare chain? 

I considered these, but thought that people whose bikes were in such poor repair that a cable had rusted through or a brake block had worn out were unlikely to (a) notice and (b) know how to install the appropriate components.

For the rare occasions where heavy fixing (i.e. of the hammer variety) is required, there is always the maintenance department. Or the bike shop just down the road.

Kathy

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2008, 04:51:24 pm »
Haven't bothered with company provided "common" things like patches & tyre levers, someone always has these.

Yes, but I'm fed up with being that "someone" and hanging around waiting for my tools to be returned. If I could just send people to reception, it'd be much simpler. ;-)

aglet

« Reply #9 on: 16 April, 2008, 04:55:10 pm »
One important thing I forgot: a copy of the Haynes Bicycle Book

« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2008, 05:50:19 pm »
For what it cost, I would have specified a LIDL Tool Kit

PLUS

pumps, patches, lubes, brakes, cables etc

Those who know how could, and those who don't know how could shout.