Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520646 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4225 on: 03 December, 2020, 12:24:08 pm »
Thanks BFC for an inspection and slight adjustment of said wheel. Unfortunately the wheel is fine it's a combination of a heavy tyre and a er lightweight motor. Probably going to stick a remote switch so can turn off the rear light as with that on the dynamo is generating all the time

« Reply #4226 on: 04 December, 2020, 01:14:45 pm »
We now have a date for the (virtual) Awards Night ... 14th December ... see the following thread for details https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=117485.0

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4227 on: 25 December, 2020, 09:48:50 am »
As Merry a Christmas as is possible (under the circumstances) to all our ACME chums!

Soupy and I are aiming to be out tomorrow, before the weather goes downhill again. Tier 4, here we come ...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4228 on: 25 December, 2020, 10:32:06 am »
Yeah I might get out on my bike again at some point during 2021!

« Reply #4229 on: 25 December, 2020, 06:34:05 pm »
As Merry a Christmas as is possible (under the circumstances) to all our ACME chums!

Soupy and I are aiming to be out tomorrow, before the weather goes downhill again. Tier 4, here we come ...

Merry Christmas. I’m also out tomorrow, but heading south east so I get a tailwind home. Sunday afternoon should be quite reasonable weather too ... the storm appears to short-lived.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #4230 on: 25 December, 2020, 06:37:21 pm »

Bike?  I think I have one of those somewhere.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #4231 on: 25 December, 2020, 06:44:19 pm »

Bike?  I think I have one of those somewhere.
I'd second that thought...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4232 on: 26 December, 2020, 04:09:36 pm »
We did half the 'Woodman' 100km, peeling off from the route in the Rodings, after our flask of coffee and mince pies/chocolate/kitkat break at Matching Green. Lots of people out and about, and almost all seemed pretty cheery. Apart from a stealthy Rapha-ista or two, whizzing past too close, head down, bum up, too-cool-for-school.  ::-)

36 miles, 50/50 head/tailwind. Just tipped over the 9,000 miles mark for 2020, so only a little bit down on a normal year (non PBP/LEL)!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4233 on: 01 January, 2021, 06:24:23 pm »
Happy New Year to all ACME and yacf chums!

The Tomsk cunning plan is to ride the Kelvedon Oyster permanent in a week or so, weather permitting (yes I've checked the tide times for Mersea Island and we're ok  :thumbsup:). Currently stuck into putting Mrs Google through her paces and planning some Essex 100 & 200km DIYs within the AUK Tier 4 rules (or at least as I understand them - subject to approval ...) and also writing an article for Arrivee.

rob

« Reply #4234 on: 01 January, 2021, 07:57:08 pm »
We have booked a cottage in North Yorkshire that starts Easter Saturday.  This would fit rather well with an Easter Arrow as it’s a 40 mile ride from York.

« Reply #4235 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:04:46 pm »
The Tomsk cunning plan is to ride the Kelvedon Oyster permanent in a week or so, weather permitting (yes I've checked the tide times for Mersea Island and we're ok  :thumbsup:). Currently stuck into putting Mrs Google through her paces and planning some Essex 100 & 200km DIYs within the AUK Tier 4 rules (or at least as I understand them - subject to approval ...) and also writing an article for Arrivee.

I’m having to head west only, given the clarifications re audax rides needing to stay within your county. More lumpy heading up to the northern parts of Hertfordshire, so not all bad.

« Reply #4236 on: 01 January, 2021, 11:22:14 pm »
Iinteresting about staying in-county. I'm also in Hertfordshire, but Bedfordshire is only a couple of miles away, and an obvious direction even for short rides. Most accessible permanents go into at least Essex if not also Cambridgeshire, so I think they are out pro tem.

(Edit - except the Hertfordshire Greenways, although it's not an ideal time of year for a route on old railway tracks!)

« Reply #4237 on: 02 January, 2021, 08:24:57 am »
If you track inside the Herts border , it is pretty much 200km, without that much route fettling required. Though for Jan I’ll probably do two loops via the house and only ride along the eastern boundary on one of those loops. I was over the western boundary way on my Dec RRTY.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4238 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:00:46 pm »
Tomsk's ongoing Lockdown #3 Projects:

1) Build a new chicken run - nearly complete.
2) Build a new coop - got all the bits for this. (Both replacing 20 year-old and much patched up ones.)
3) Fettle my venerable folder and make it a bit more audacious, for easy train-assisted further-afield events, in the distant Covid-free future.

Glad of a bit of dry weather for all this at the moment.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4239 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:58:25 pm »
I am very thankful I have The Big Garage Project which happily hoovers up as much of my free time as I want it to.

« Reply #4240 on: 22 February, 2021, 04:22:41 pm »
ACME Assemble !

I am going to work on the happy assumption that lockdown will be released to plan.

We need some adventures.

Tomsk is planning his spring training weekend. 

I am keen on the following:

Plan A  - May - Peddars' Way weekend 

D1 afternoon:- cycle to a campsite I know on the edge of the King's Forest (ie between BSE and Barton Mills). 

D2:- Early morning train to  Kings Lynn.  Ride the Peddars' Way and then a route through the forests back to camp. 

D3:- Hooning around King's Forest and Thetford Forest - home by train in the evening or stay over for a morning departure.

Plan B - June or September - King Alfred's Way

Probably 3 days of riding with camping or not.

Plan C - June/July

You may recall No 1 son and I were due to ride his 6 countries in 5 days route through Europe last year.  This is still looking iffy for this year so I am looking at 5 countries 4 days:

D1 Essex to Stoke on Trent (ish)

D2 Stoke on Trent to Dublin via Holyhead

D3 Dublin to Belfast

D4 Belfast to Glasgow (via Belfast/Larne)

I will be looking to crowd source some route advice if this does go ahead.  If anyone wants to come along, they will be most welcome.

We can form some groups of 6 soon to discuss...

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4241 on: 22 February, 2021, 04:33:57 pm »
Hmmm, keen as I am to throw my leg over something I shall feel far more comfortable about poking a nose out from under my garage shaped rock once I have had at least one of my jabs (assuming I don't get given one of the single jab vaccines).  Being a gentleman nearer to 60 than 50 this could happen by the end of May  :thumbsup:

That said tedders your plans sound excellent.  I should like to throw Tan Hill into the mix.  TCMR gave me a Tan Hill gift voucher for Christmas so I could ride there from here and she could drive up in the motorcar and drive me home afterwards.

There is also some sort of belated Epiphany Extravaganza to consider.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4242 on: 22 February, 2021, 04:56:47 pm »
Interesting...

Though I too would prefer to have had at least 1 jab before it all kicks off again.... but that's unlikely due to being on the younger end of things  :demon:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4243 on: 22 February, 2021, 05:07:55 pm »
You'll be fine - nothing is going to get through that beard  ;D

Interesting...

Though I too would prefer to have had at least 1 jab before it all kicks off again.... but that's unlikely due to being on the younger end of things  :demon:
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4244 on: 22 February, 2021, 05:28:31 pm »
You'll be fine - nothing is going to get through that beard  ;D

Interesting...

With the schools going back I might have to trim it else I'll scare the kids!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4245 on: 22 February, 2021, 05:43:35 pm »
Those of us over 50 should have been offered Jag 1 by the middle of April which will coincide neatly with the outdoor opening of pubs on April 12 (with no curfews and no scotch eggs apparently).  Our youth wing should not be far behind and we can wave at them from various marquees around the County if they do not feel willing to join in sans Jag.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4246 on: 22 February, 2021, 06:40:49 pm »
Those of us over 50 should have been offered Jag 1 by the middle of April which will coincide neatly with the outdoor opening of pubs on April 12 (with no curfews and no scotch eggs apparently).  Our youth wing should not be far behind and we can wave at them from various marquees around the County if they do not feel willing to join in sans Jag.

That's OK, on that basis perhaps I'll be able to fit in my sleeping bag by the time it comes round to camping!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4247 on: 22 February, 2021, 07:10:35 pm »
The news has been almost uplifting these past few days. Given me optimism that some adventures will be possible once more in the not too distant future.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4248 on: 22 February, 2021, 07:12:20 pm »
 :thumbsup: Let's plan, why not? Even though we should be driven by data not dates - sounds like that line was taken straight from 'Yes Minister: government Get-Out Clause #13.

Once the Rule of Six comes back we could see the return of AUK permanents too.

« Reply #4249 on: 23 February, 2021, 04:45:29 pm »
Question for @Tomsk that a few might be interested in.

For the Essex SR, will perms still be permissible as last year, or will it be back to calendar rides plus ECE's, which I think was the case previously?

I'm hoping we'll see a number of the Essex calendar events appear soon ... I certainly need to be doing quite a number in order to be ready for another ACME Grand in September.