Author Topic: Steepest hills in - everywhere  (Read 109830 times)

LEE

Re: Steepest hills in - everywhere
« Reply #200 on: 30 January, 2013, 08:16:47 pm »
Woodhay and Walbury are indeed fine specimens - the best is from East Woodhay to the T-junction with the road that then leads to Faccombe.  I agree that is harder than Conholt.  Conholt perhaps has its own scar tissue because the wind always seems to catch the long draggy section after the short steep bit.  There are also a couple of nice hills to Faccombe either from Ashmansworth or Netherton and a couple of routes up to Ashmansworth, all of which the (I believe now defunct) Faccombe 100 introduced me to  :)

There is quite a fine circuit - Ashmansworth - Faccomber Netherton - Coombe Gibbet - the W - EAst Woodhay - Ashmansworth (in either order) that I used to get ready for the Kernow and SW.

But still nothing to b*&*%r Bignor.

Well I am 25% of the "Faccombe 4"

I'll be hauling myself around a virtual "Faccombe Haul" route as prep for the Wessex SR this year.

It's relatively easy to string together steep climbs in rapid, and gratuitous, succession to replicate Wessex rides and it's only 15km to the start of the Faccombe Wood climb (one of my favourite descents). 

This is from near Linkenholt, looking North towards Walbury/Woodhay, You'll recognise it from the Faccombe Haul

I absolutely love it around there and can't wait for the warmer weather.

A FUGAWI screen shot to put it in perspective (looking South towards the escarpment)

The top of Walbury Hill (Looking North from the escarpment, towards the virtual FUGAWI camera).  You can just see some Audaxers sat in the Tutti-Pole cafe in the distance, in Hungerford.

so yes...I know it well, as does my first gear and granny-ring.

« Reply #201 on: 31 January, 2013, 08:21:08 am »
Church Hill, St Mawes.
Of course this hill is nowhere near any sensible cyclist's routes, but its a steepun at just over 33%.

« Reply #202 on: 31 January, 2013, 09:19:38 am »
i have ridden my trice up that one ,very slowly !  :smug:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #203 on: 20 February, 2013, 05:15:02 pm »
Beach Road in Torquay is pretty steep.    http://goo.gl/maps/YGVq3

I've walked that one, but didn't have a bike with me, ditto Ffordd Pen Llech.  The steepest one I've ridden up is probably Lynmouth Hill in North Devon (zig-zagging required, average gradient 1:4 over half a km) or Gold Hill in Dorset (done sat down in the saddle to avoid wheelspin on mossy cobbles - t'were a grand ride 'ome, though).

Steepest in Hampshire (where I live) is Blissford Hill in the New Forest (an area generally renowned for it's lack of hills), which is 1:4, but quite short.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #204 on: 22 February, 2013, 12:59:04 am »
I'm uite surprised about some of the suggestions on here, several of which Jan and I have conquered with a fully-laden tandem.

But of course St. Mawes is on a sensible cyclist's route! We did it on LEJoG, just after disembarking from the Falmouth ferry.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #205 on: 22 February, 2013, 07:53:13 am »
I'm uite surprised about some of the suggestions on here, several of which Jan and I have conquered with a fully-laden tandem.

But of course St. Mawes is on a sensible cyclist's route! We did it on LEJoG, just after disembarking from the Falmouth ferry.

I hope you didn't claim an E2E medal or points for that LEJOG  :o

It is strictly forbidden to use 'motorised assistance'.
"solely by human effort"...  ;D

« Reply #206 on: 22 February, 2013, 12:15:01 pm »
I rode up a 25% on the New Forest Rattler last weekend. Actually it's not too bad to be honest. It was called the unaptly named Blissford Hill

The steep bit on Blissford hill isnt too long so OK. Not sure if it is me but Cow Drove Hill in King's Sombourne always has me wheezing.  :-[

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #207 on: 23 February, 2013, 09:55:11 am »

I hope you didn't claim an E2E medal or points for that LEJOG  :o

It is strictly forbidden to use 'motorised assistance'.
"solely by human effort"...  ;D

What are these "E2E medal" and "points" of which you speak?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Hillbilly

« Reply #208 on: 25 February, 2013, 08:04:58 pm »
I've recently discovered Sundridge Hill, which links Sundridge (quelle surprise) and Knockholt in Kent, on the North Downs.  Nasty hobbitses.

So good, I've recently planned a 200 (and possibly 300) permanent for general consumption that will take it in (along with Toys Hill, Chart Lane, Ditchling Beacon, Ardingley, and a few lesser known beasties)  :demon:

« Reply #209 on: 25 February, 2013, 08:59:11 pm »
Red Bank, Grasmere.

Obligatory sat-nav-gone wrong news story. There's now a sign at the bottom saying something like "DISREGARD YOUR SAT NAV! TURN AROUND NOW!!"

There's an idea for a ride - Red Bank, Green Bank, Blue Bank... Any others?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #210 on: 25 February, 2013, 09:07:12 pm »
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #211 on: 25 February, 2013, 10:25:39 pm »
I was thinking of colours...

« Reply #212 on: 25 February, 2013, 10:50:23 pm »
There's a Black Bank. May not quite qualify as a steep hill, though...

« Reply #213 on: 25 February, 2013, 10:59:39 pm »
That appears to go from 3 to 4 metres. So it is uphill!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #214 on: 25 February, 2013, 11:03:26 pm »
Dunno if it's been mentioned in this thread so far but there is an evil hill in my locality that I've yet to dare try.  My success getting up Gospel Pass the other day has given me renewed ambition towards it.

It's a hill in Pontypridd South Wales known as Pontypridd Golf course road (otherwise known as Penheol Ely road) that supposedly features a 1 in 4 slope and at one stage a cattle-grid on a 17% section.  This latter point rather put me off as I don't fancy sliding and falling on a cattle grid and screwing up my bike or body - but...

It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #215 on: 25 February, 2013, 11:38:33 pm »
The Penheol Ely Rd near Pontypridd is at the end of the Trefil Travail (Cardiff - Tredegar and back the hilliest route conceivable). I made it almost to the corner near the top.

Next time!
Cars! In my bike lane.

caerau

« Reply #216 on: 26 February, 2013, 06:03:12 am »
Quote from: padrig
I made it almost to the corner near the top.

Next time!

That's what I said about Caerphilly Montain back in October last year the first time I had a go. It took me 2 months and dozens of attempts in the end. But I did do it ;D

So is it true about that cattle grid then? It sounds like a recipe for getting either a broke bone or a broken bike if  it's damp.

The other local mount near me which I've yet to have a go at is probably the most famous of all. Is there an audax that goes up The Tumble?

« Reply #217 on: 26 February, 2013, 06:23:36 am »
Yes, the Cambrian 10a permanent.

The Tumble isn't steep mind you.

caerau

« Reply #218 on: 26 February, 2013, 06:43:55 am »
Oh right. Why is it so famous then?

Mind you that's also true of Bwlch and Rhigos but they're well worth a pedal.

caerau

« Reply #219 on: 26 February, 2013, 07:00:58 am »
Oh right. Why is it so famous then?

To reply to myself  -ride and find out of course - I feel a new route for the weekend solo ride developing. 8)

[edit] Hmm, 10A huh?  That's umm, not for the faint of heart that one is it?  It shall remain on my to do list for a while yet I think  ;) [/edit]

« Reply #220 on: 26 February, 2013, 08:16:07 am »

« Reply #221 on: 26 February, 2013, 08:18:33 am »
It's a recent ToB climb and just one of those well known standards.  There's a classic loop from Abergavenny - up the Tumble, right at he garage just as you come into Blaenavon, right again in Beaufort, just prior to Ebbw Vale, and then take he right turn to descend to the minor road back to Abergavenny, which traverses the mountain diagonally downwards and is a hoot of a descent. 

caerau

« Reply #222 on: 26 February, 2013, 08:44:07 am »
http://www.wikihow.com/Climb-Steep-Hills-While-Cycling

Is this 'Disso' or 'Misso'?

Things you'll need

Bicycle
Helmet, cycling clothes, appropriate shoes
Some hilly terrain

nuff said :)

« Reply #223 on: 27 February, 2013, 09:50:33 am »
Yes you will like the Tumble and it never gets very steep, got the fixed up there recently  O:-) Did an out-and-back to Talybont-on-Usk, so you get the views and the pleasure of both ascending and descending the Tumble and Llangynidr Mountain - highly recommended. A climb I want to try (with gears) is the back lane up the Tumble, I hear it is a cheeky one  :o

Local to me, I think the steepest/hardest climb in the Mendips is New Road which goes up from the A371 at Draycott. Runs parallel to ye famous Cheddar Gorge but rather more challenging.

caerau

« Reply #224 on: 27 February, 2013, 06:26:46 pm »
Haven't you got Porlock Hill down in that neck of the woods, or is Minehead a bit too far off? I recall our school bus failing to ascend that on one occasion on a school trip and I know my brother has the (mis)fortune to be cycling it later in the year on the Tour of Wessex which he is undertaking with a mate.  I believe it features right at the end of the course too  :o